PDA

View Full Version : 1893 Just So Tobacco

RCMcKenzie
05-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I picked up this cabinet the other day of Jimmy McAleer.

McAleer started in centerfield for the 1893 Cleveland Spiders.

Here is the roster from baseball-reference
C- O'Connor
C- Zimmer (2nd catcher)
1b- Virtue
2b- Childs
ss- McKean
3b- McGarr
Inf-C- Tebeau (more AB than McGarr)
CF- McAleer
OF- Ewing
OF- Burkett

P- Young
P- Clarkson
P- Cuppy
P- Hastings

P Davies (only shown as appearing in 3 games)
C- Boyd (2 games)

Here is the Just So checklist from oldcardboard.com

Boyd
Burkette sic
Childs
Clarkson
O'Connor
Cuppy
Ewing
Davies
Hastings
McKean
Tebeau
Virtue
Williams
Young
Zimmer

All of these players have been found on the Just So Tobacco cards except for McGarr and McAleer. I believe both of the players could be found in the series. If a Just So Tobacco card of McAleer ever surfaces I would expect it to have the same photo as the cabinet pictured above.

Here are a few Just So Cards...

www.oldcardboard.com/n/just-so/just-so.jpg

www.19thcenturycards.net/images/justsoclarkson.jpg

christopher.herman
05-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Sharp image. Nice pick up.

Bicem
05-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Great piece, and I bet you're right about it being the same photo.

Cardboard Junkie
05-25-2013, 02:54 PM
That's a fine card!

barrysloate
05-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Super clear image. Can we assume that this was the photographer who was used to supply the images for the Just So set?

RCMcKenzie
05-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Thank y'all for the comments. I had this on my bidder card at Heritage, but did not think I would get it. They referenced Just So in their description.

Barry, the Pifer and Becker cabinet photo of McAleer looks very similar to the photography on the Just So cards, so that is my guess that they did the photos for the Just So series.

I have not been able to find much information on Pifer and Becker other than they appear to have been a typical 19th cent studio located in Cleveland. Here is another family-portrait type photo I found on the web...

www.etsy.com/listing/115899902

E93
05-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Awesome piece! Spectacular image!
JimB

oldjudge
05-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Great work Rob. Hopefully the Just So McAleer will turn up to confirm your hypothesis.

RCMcKenzie
05-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Jim and Jay, thanks.

Because Geo. Davies and Frank Boyd have been found in the Just So card series, it seems possible that these other part-time players could turn up...

Joe Gunson
Ed McFarland
Tom Williams
Billy Alvord
Jim Gilman
John Stafford
Pete Allen
Chauncey Fisher
Jack Scheible

Although it would be fun for the McAleer Just So to turn up, the math may be on the side of one of these other players' card to surface. It would also be nice to see a Pifer and Becker cabinet appear with one of the known Just So cards' image.

nolemmings
05-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Nice cabinet. McAleer will surface in the set, although I've been saying that for twenty years. Unless he had some personal reason to pass on inclusion--he definitely was his own man and headstrong--there's no way the team set would not include their flashy CFer. Nice to see what his Just So card could/would/should look like.