PDA

View Full Version : Do Topps buybacks add value to T-206's?

bcookie
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Do you value buybacks nore than the same card raw?

Why or why not?

Cardboard Junkie
05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I do not put a premium on them over a raw t206, but i imagine some do. Dave.

iwantitiwinit
05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't, the value of a topps buyback in my opinion is the card it contains. The fact that there may only be one or a few topps buybacks of a particular player don't change things in my mind, its the t206 that has all the value not the "gimmick" containing it. I wouldn't value a card more if it had an extravagant holder v. a pain holder, its the card itself with the value.

HRBAKER
05-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I do not put a premium on them over a raw t206, but i imagine some do. Dave.

Some = mostly sellers!

EvilKing00
05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't do t206's but I do collect T205's, and I don't put any premium on a T205 buy back.

jimivintage
05-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Personally, I avoid the Topps buy backs.

t206blogcom
05-25-2013, 01:13 PM
No, to me the buybacks never added any extra value. I bought around a half dozen or so when I was putting together my set. The first thing I did when they arrived was to cut them out of the plastic holders. I never paid a premium for the few I bought and routinely laughed at the asking prices on most.

Not saying it was a dumb idea. It just wasn't for me.

z28jd
05-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I think it was a great idea by Topps, probably got a few people interested. Not sure about now, but when they first came out, people were collecting them, so there was extra value added. I also know a lot have been freed since then, so if someone did start collection them now, there would probably be a premium. I bought one just to have, probably paid about $10 extra, but it is still a novelty to have and is now part of the set's history.

I think for someone with money to spare, it would be interesting(and expensive) to see how much of the set you could get in those holders before hitting a dead end

bcookie
05-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I was able to get these for $100 that is why i ask.. I do not really collect them but i thought it was a fair deal..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=171045124600&index=0&nav=WON&nid=09577354193&trxId=0

Cardboard Junkie
05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
I think you did good, Marquard alone is probably worth a C note. Dave:)

Rich Klein
05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
When I was still at Beckett, we did an article on someone who "completed" the T-206 buyback set. My personal opinion is some of these buy backs, especially the HOFers are very scarce as buy backs and there mighe be a premium.

I think the poster who mentioned how these cards may have enticed some modern collectors into pre-war got it correct

Rich

CW
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Why are some of those cards "game used bat" cards? Were those also distributed with the frame around the card?

Also, are these tamper-proof, or can someone swap the real cards with reprints?

Thanks in advance.

tbob
05-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't. Most of the T206s came from the inventory of Kit Young and were readily available if you wanted to buy them from him years ago.

Leon
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
When I was still at Beckett, we did an article on someone who "completed" the T-206 buyback set. My personal opinion is some of these buy backs, especially the HOFers are very scarce as buy backs and there mighe be a premium.

I think the poster who mentioned how these cards may have enticed some modern collectors into pre-war got it correct

Rich

Have to agree with this. Not my cup of tea but there are around 25 for sale in the pre-1942 category, at any given time, as BINs..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=topps+buyback&_dcat=213&Era=Pre%252DWWII%2520%2528Pre%252D1942%2529&rt=nc

Jantz
05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
bcookie

I don't give Topps Buybacks any added value, unless the T206 inside warrants more value. I have bought a few over the years and I pay according to the condition of the T206, not the frame Topps put it in.

In one instance, I was willing to pay a little more for a T206 Ewing Topps Buyback since the card had a Piedmont 350 back.

CW

The game-used cards were also framed, along with autographed versions of modern players.

To answer your second question, these cards are not tamper proof and a few years ago someone was tampering with them and trying to sell them on Ebay.

Jantz

caramelcard
05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I always ripped them out of there if I ended up with one.

Like Bob mentioned, Topps just bought a bunch of mostly commons from vintage dealers from around the country.

robw1959
12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
I might value these buybacks more than raw T206 cards if I could be pretty sure that they weren't altered, and that they would therefore be gradeable. Does anybody know if Topps had professional graders who could assure Topps that these cards were authentic and unaltered prior to being sealed in the buyback holders?

brianp-beme
12-27-2016, 12:59 PM
I might value these buybacks more than raw T206 cards if I could be pretty sure that they weren't altered, and that they would therefore be gradeable. Does anybody know if Topps had professional graders who could assure Topps that these cards were authentic and unaltered prior to being sealed in the buyback holders?

I don't think Topps was concerned about determining whether a card was altered or not, but just that it was authentic, and they did so by having a reputable dealer (Kit Young was the only one that I recall being involved) procure the cards. There was a mention amongst many members on the predecessor to this current version of the board that in the months prior to the release of the issue that Kit was very obviously in the market to purchase a boatload of T206 cards.

So authentic...no issue. Altered...it seems I remember seeing some trimmed ones out there. The overwhelming majority of the cards just appear to be relatively decent, lower to middle condition examples.

Brian

Bpm0014
12-27-2016, 01:07 PM
No. None.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Never had a problem grading a topps T206. Bought a decent amount of them at a good price, tore them out of the stupid modern card thingy and graded them. Best I got was a PSA 4.5, but got grades on everything. Probably a couple dozen cards.

EvilKing00
12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
I know i posted to this thread over 3.5 years ago, just wanted to add that since that post i have still not bought any t205 buybacks. Just not appealing imo. Id prefer raw or graded. Order of preference on graded would be, SGC, BVG, PSA.

Jantz
12-27-2016, 05:43 PM

Can't answer your question, but I've bought a few over the years and removed them from their modern Topps frame for grading. All that I sent in came back graded up to grades of 4/50.

Jantz

Rich Klein
12-28-2016, 06:10 AM
This reminds me of a funny story from the following year (after the T206 set was released) relating to Cracker Jacks.

Kit Young (as previously mentioned) had purchased most of the T205 and T206 cards involved so when he started putting buy ads out for Cracker Jack, I jokingly posted on some message board (May have been this one or the old BMB) -- that I bet Topps is doing a Cracker Jack set next.

Funniest thing -- after I posted and we sent Clay Luraschi at Topps an email about this -- we had actually scooped Topps on their own product announcement and the next day they described their plans for a Cracker Jack set.

Yep --we made Topps change their own PR plans for the Cracker Jack set.

Good times

Regards
Rich

DeafSports
12-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Is there a checklist on T206 buyback because Im curious if they ever did Dummy Taylor.

Best,
Danny

gemmint77
12-28-2016, 03:21 PM
No added value. I try to pick them up cheap, cut them out of the Topps holder and have them graded. Most have graded in the 2-5 range.