PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Pat Moran Autograph Please

WillowGrove
05-25-2013, 08:09 AM
hi guys - I'm a long time collector of cards and memorabilia and only own a few autographed items including the one I am posting here - a signed cabinet card of former player and manager Pat Moran.

I recently found out about Ron K's book on HOF autographs and find the entire discussion about signatures quite interesting (signed with an aggressive, confident hand; lacks a rapid flow, etc) - and more specifically that autograph collecting wasn't very popular until about the 1920's. All very interesting - I never gave much thought to autographs.

So I thought I would post this item to see what autograph collector's thought. Not so much about authenticity because I assume it is real (bad habit, I am certain) or value - but more to hear what you thought about the idea of a player giving an autograph as a coveted item back in 1906.

I would consider selling or trading this item but I wanted to learn more about it. I don't mean to be one of those posters who gets the conversation going to promote their subsequently selling an item, so if this needs to move to B/S/T I guess I would understand.

But I really just think this is a wonderful item and wanted to hear what you thought about it. thanks so much

peter

One of the photos has a Horner cabinet of Moran - I acquired both together.

thank you

prewarsports
05-25-2013, 08:35 AM
A couple things, first autographs were VERY widely collected before the 1920's, but the idea of collecting Baseball autographs was not. Actors, Politicians, famous businessmen etc. were collected widely in the 19th century (and in some instances the 18th century). Secondly, the value in your item in 1906 was the photograph so Pat was not giving this away as an "autographed photo" but simply giving away a photograph with an inscription. In 1906 nobody would have treasured the autograph on the back of that photo, and inscribed images of Baseball players like that are somewhat common, especially early in a players career. I once had an estate of a former All American Football player at Princeton and I had his receipt from Pach Bros where he ordered like 50 of his own cabinet photos and then there were letters from all sorts of girls thanking him for the "beautiful inscribed photograph". You dont see photos like this nearly as often from when a player was more established, they like to send things like this off to Family and Friends early on to show they "made it".

As it is though, a Pat Moran autograph is somewhat scarce, I've owned 3 in 20 years and only seen a few others beyond that.

Rhys Yeakley

WillowGrove
05-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Exactly the kind of insight i was hoping for. Thank you Rhys.

dog*dirt
05-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Very nice cabinet!!