PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Autographs on NL ball or AL ball

koufax1fan
05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Hello:
Can you tell me if having an autograph on a Bud Selig Major League baseball is of lesser value than having it on an official NL or AL baseball. I wanted to make sure before purchasing a ball... Thanks for your help..
Phil

Big Dave
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
What ever league the player is in is the preference of collectors and a more valuable ball.

shelly
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
If it is a retired player and you get get a Coleman or Budig ball cheap I would use those. If he is still playing it does not seem to make a difference.

dapro
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
most of my older balls are bobby brown balls.

shelly
05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
most of my older balls are bobby brown balls.

Bobbie Brown ball cost ove$75 for a new one.

thecatspajamas
05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
The cache with using a specific ball type for a particular player's autograph is to get one they would have played with when they were active. It's a nice perk to some collectors, but I haven't seen many instances where the buyer will pay a significant premium for a modern signature on the correct vintage ball. If it's a vintage signature on a vintage ball it will go for more, but that's not what you're asking about.

Not knowing who you're looking to have sign your ball, if he didn't start playing until 2000 or later, it doesn't even make sense to seek out an ONL or OAL ball that he never would have handled in a game. I've also heard of guys seeking out nice-looking vintage balls to get an old-time player's modern signature on, where the value of the unsigned ball is more than its value with the player's signature added, which seems a shame to me.

Bottom line, from my perspective, is if you're going to go the ONL or OAL route, go with a league and era-correct ball. Otherwise, just getting a new OML ball for the signing isn't going to make a significant difference in price.

Big Dave
05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
You can buy Bobby Brown balls for 20 or less on eBay....

shelly
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
+1 I was just saying if you could get a ball cheap and they played during that time I would rather have an nl or al ball.

HOF Auto Rookies
05-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Bobbie Brown ball cost ove$75 for a new one.

Those are some high quality and expensive balls ;)

7nohitter
05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Who the player is?

shelly
05-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry, you are correct they are cheaper than I thought. If I had HOF players I would pay the price to have them on Bobby Brown ,White or Coleman. I really did think they where a lot more.
If there are any great Mantle forgers out there watch out.:(

thecatspajamas
05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Shelly, maybe you're thinking of all the Bobby Brown balls you have to go through before finding one that doesn't have any of the splotchy brown toning. You might actually make it to $75 before you find a nice one :eek: