PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article on the Burdick Collection

Rich Klein
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/22048/inside-the-mets-surprising-card-collection

nsaddict
05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Very cool, thanks for the share. Not sure if this will get as much attention as legendary member "zone":)

Leon
05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Nice article that is mostly correct. I sure wish people that wrote articles did a little research first. But at least it's an article on cards and Burdick. Thumbs up on that. And to add, the curator did do a good job for someone not in the hobby full time. To us addicts there were a few facts not quite right but really a nice interview otherwise.

Cardboard Junkie
05-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Very refreshing to hear Paul Lucas pronounce Honus correctly. BTW did I catch a glimpes of an uncut sheet of Ramlys?

atx840
05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Man that is a nice Wags :cool:

...girl knows her stuff.

sycks22
05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Very refreshing to hear Paul Lucas pronounce Honus correctly. BTW did I catch a glimpes of an uncut sheet of Ramlys?

I was looking for the Burkett, but didn't get a good enough look. How are these cards placed in there? I hope they're not taped or glued. Anyone know? Amazing collection.

johnmh71
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I was looking for the Burkett, but didn't get a good enough look. How are these cards placed in there? I hope they're not taped or glued. Anyone know? Amazing collection.

Yes, unfortunately, he did glue them. But then again, he donated them and probably wanted them to stay there, so maybe it was a wise decision. Just look at how much stuff has walked away from the Hall of Fame, NY City Public Library, etc.

ullmandds
05-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Interesting watch...the curator seemed pretty knowledgable yet had a few of her "facts" wrong.

I liked the freakish mostly orange with red streak at top t206 cobb!:rolleyes:

CW
05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Cool video and story. Thanks for the link, Rich.

BTW did I catch a glimpes of an uncut sheet of Ramlys?

Yeah, that was weird, Dave, because at first I thought they were just Ramlys mounted to the page, but when she flipped it to look at the backs that threw me off. I'm guessing that maybe each of those pages has little windows cut out for each card so you can also view the backs. Not sure, though...

ullmandds
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I thought they were just pasted in the book and you could see the back through the paper?!

Zach Wheat
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Cool Rich, thanks. She is knowledgeable anyway even if some facts were incorrect.

Jason
05-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice link thanks for sharing.It looks like the collection is in good hands.

atx840
05-22-2013, 09:04 PM
"Burdick became a fixture at the museum by the late 1950s, when he relocated to New York City. He moved a small oak desk from his home into a corner of the print department.

He used water-soluble glue to paste his collection into 640 albums measuring 12 ½ inches by 15 inches. Burdick photocopied the backs of cards that had vital information and mounted them on facing pages. He took care to ensure the cards were properly grouped and arranged in aesthetically pleasing ways."

I remember reading a similar account in "The Card"

Article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/sports/baseball/baseball-card-collecting-was-lifes-work-for-jefferson-burdick.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

CW
05-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I thought they were just pasted in the book and you could see the back through the paper?!

Hmmmm, could be. It looked like you could see the indentations on the reverse from the embossing, as if they were looking at the actual card backs. I see what you're saying, though, as it could be a thinner, semi-transparent paper.

whoops, nevermind, just saw what Chris posted (thanks, btw, C)

Burdick photocopied the backs of cards that had vital information and mounted them on facing pages.

Iron Horse
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Thank you for sharing. Amazing, though i wonder why they don't display the best stuff for people to see.

cmcclelland
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
What's the story with that T206 Cobb with the orange background and the red stripe at the top? Are there other known that look like that?

T206Fan
05-23-2013, 05:38 AM
I like the fact that the rep from met thinks no one realizes that all white boarders are t206's

caramelcard
05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
What's the story with that T206 Cobb with the orange background and the red stripe at the top? Are there other known that look like that?

I have one similar, but not as extreme. Mine is orange with a red stripe. That appears to be almost yellow. Nice card.

JollyElm
05-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Um...doesn't the 'T' in T206 denote 'twentieth century' and not 'tobacco' as the 'expert' claimed?? Wow.

I'm paraphrasing, but she also trotted out the apocryphal story about Honus Wagner not wanting to encourage underage smoking as the reason he had his image removed from the series. There are no verifiable records pointing to an exact reason why he was removed (or had himself removed) from the set. Shouldn't she know that??

ValKehl
05-25-2013, 10:10 PM
One of my hobby pet peeves is when someone, such as the Met Museum curator mentioned in this article, states that the T206 Wagner card is the rarest card of all.
Val

RCMcKenzie
05-25-2013, 10:23 PM
One of my hobby pet peeves is when someone, such as the Met Museum curator mentioned in this article, states that the T206 Wagner card is the rarest card of all.
Val
Val.

It is not the rarest card of all, but probably the scarcest (meaning demand outweighs supply). I will stop collecting baseball cards if I stumble upon a T206 Wagner. The Baltimore Ruth is something McKee and his Dad cooked up. I barely heard of that card until recently.

Cardboard Junkie
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
1914 Baltimore News Ruth is the most desirable baseball card to me. Dave.

Zone91
05-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Cardboard Junkie

Same for me the 1914 Baltimore news Ruth is the # 1 card in the hobby by a home run....to me as well.

Post # 2

Hankphenom
05-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, that was a different time, but it's so hard to believe he would actually glue the cards into the albums.