PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA holding true to their guarantee

jhs5120
05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I purchased several autographed items from a recent AH auction, everything was "Pre-Certified" by PSA/DNA. I recieved the items and was a little skeptical of one item in particular - it was an index card from a larger lot. I sent it in with several other items and included the pre-certified LOA paper thing, along with my invoice. About a month later the results become available online, everything was deemed authentic except this one item.. I called up customer service and they couldn't have been more helpful. After a second review, they confirmed that it was not authentic and they issued me a voucher for the SMR price of the autograph and the submission fees (which in this case is more than I paid for the item).

In a forum littered with horror stories and worst case scenarios, I felt it appropriate to share a good experience with PSA.

Jason

Runscott
05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I purchased several autographed items from a recent AH auction, everything was "Pre-Certified" by PSA/DNA. I recieved the items and was a little skeptical of one item in particular - it was an index card from a larger lot. I sent it in with several other items and included the pre-certified LOA paper thing, along with my invoice. About a month later the results become available online, everything was deemed authentic except this one item.. I called up customer service and they couldn't have been more helpful. After a second review, they confirmed that it was not authentic and they issued me a voucher for the SMR price of the autograph and the submission fees (which in this case is more than I paid for the item).

In a forum littered with horror stories and worst case scenarios, I felt it appropriate to share a good experience with PSA.

Jason

Jason, I had a similar situation - pre-certified lot with very questionable autographs. I asked them to take another look, they told me they did, they said they were good. At least two (and I specifically pointed these two out to them) were not good. That was the exact moment where I quit paying any attention to PSA LOA's. The only time their opinion means anything to me now is when I know that JSA and PSA are both looking at an item and PSA refuses to certify it.

If PSA thinks an autograph is bad, it's either too complicated for them or it's bad.

dapro
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I only deal with PSA once and it was an ok experience. Their return shipping cost is crazy high.

travrosty
05-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Jason

that's fine but when you say they hold true to their guarantee, what does it mean.

They don't have a guarantee with autographs, they have never had a guarantee. show me the written guarantee?

if they made good on it, thats fine, but they did it without a guarantee, they did it by their own decision. if they decided they didnt want to make good, there is no guarantee you can point to , to force them to make good.

dapro
05-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Has anyone submit an item that pass psa quick opinion but failed psa authentication?

shelly
05-20-2013, 08:30 PM
How stupid would they be. Then not only would they have to refund your money, they would also have to admit they have idiots working for them.:confused:
Not saying it is not true. Just remember they have trained eyes:eek:

dapro
05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Shelly, you should work part time for them. :p

mighty bombjack
05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
that's fine but when you say they hold true to their guarantee, what does it mean.

They don't have a guarantee with autographs, they have never had a guarantee. show me the written guarantee?

if they made good on it, thats fine, but they did it without a guarantee, they did it by their own decision. if they decided they didnt want to make good, there is no guarantee you can point to , to force them to make good.

I believe the guarantee is only with auction LOAs? I could be wrong, but that is what the OP is discussing.

jhs5120
05-20-2013, 09:17 PM

http://www.psacard.com/About/WhatIsGrading/

"As a hobbyist, you may see the PSA/DNA Pre-Certified logo in various auction house catalogues or online. It is a service unique to auctions and to autographs found within. The purpose of the service is to let the prospective bidders know whether an autographed auction item will pass PSA/DNA should that person win the item and want to send it in for authentication immediately after the auction closes. If you see the Pre-Certified logo, it means the item has been reviewed by our experts and is absolutely guaranteed to pass."

I just wanted to share a positive experience I had with PSA.. It was an honest mistake they made and they owned up to it. I'm sorry if this thread offended anyone.

Jason

Runscott
05-20-2013, 09:47 PM

"As a hobbyist, you may see the PSA/DNA Pre-Certified logo in various auction house catalogues or online. It is a service unique to auctions and to autographs found within. The purpose of the service is to let the prospective bidders know whether an autographed auction item will pass PSA/DNA should that person win the item and want to send it in for authentication immediately after the auction closes. If you see the Pre-Certified logo, it means the item has been reviewed by our experts and is absolutely guaranteed to pass."

I just wanted to share a positive experience I had with PSA.. It was an honest mistake they made and they owned up to it. I'm sorry if this thread offended anyone.

Jason

Maybe just change the title of your post to: "Positive PSA experiences only". Generally, people see a post and they respond with their own thoughts, even if they do not agree with those of the original poster.

jhs5120
05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Maybe just change the title of your post to: "Positive PSA experiences only". Generally, people see a post and they respond with their own thoughts, even if they do not agree with those of the original poster.

You're welcome to post your thoughts and personal experiences. I'm sorry you're last experience with quick opinion didn't work out. I was not referring to your post.. All I did was apologize if I offended anyone.

Personally, I think it is a good service they have. It shifts the risk of the purchase onto PSA rather than the buyer or AH.

thenavarro
05-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Has anyone submit an item that pass psa quick opinion but failed psa authentication?

I have, on more than one occasion as well.

chaddurbin
05-20-2013, 11:36 PM
psa takes alot of abuse on this board, but i've never had a bad experience submitting cards with them in 10 years. also although their psa/dna division is slow, never had a problem with them either. i once had an auto grading go extra long and they credited me back for the whole amount.

i've never used their quick opinion, that seems like a setup for you to be disappointed later. i also don't do historical, music, boxing, or even hockey with them. they get baseball, football mostly right so i submit those sports.

dapro
05-20-2013, 11:54 PM
I have, on more than one occasion as well.

doh! Did you get some kind of refund?

Runscott
05-21-2013, 07:44 AM
psa takes alot of abuse on this board, but i've never had a bad experience submitting cards with them in 10 years.

Quan, we're talking autographs, not cards. Huge difference.

Runscott
05-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Did your Mantle ball go through PSA? I didn't see anyone respond to your posts about it .

HOF Auto Rookies
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Quan, we're talking autographs, not cards. Huge difference.

Come on Scott, I'm sure he meant signed cards, no need to be a dick...

dapro
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Did your Mantle ball go through PSA? I didn't see anyone respond to your posts about it .

The mantle balls I have were already psa cert. I am in the process of sending in a Dimaggio ball I got recently. PSA quick opinion say its good.

Runscott
05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Come on Scott, I'm sure he meant signed cards, no need to be a dick...

Brent, that was totally uncalled for. If you are going to call people names, you really need to make a practice of doing it only to their face.

Quan - Brent has a point. I wasn't thinking about signed cards, so please accept my apology.

thenavarro
05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
doh! Did you get some kind of refund?

As far as the purchase price of the autographed item, no. I didn't solicit a refund nor did they proactively initiate one. I think I recall getting vouchers for the cost of the quick opinions I had paid.

Overall my submissions usually do very well, and they've discounted me a ton off their regular sub rates and usually give me outstanding customer service, so im fine with giving them a mulligan every now and then.

Runscott
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
The mantle balls I have were already psa cert. I am in the process of sending in a Dimaggio ball I got recently. PSA quick opinion say its good.

Okay, just wondering. I'm looking for a nice '50s Mantle-signed document to display with a card. The ones from that period have distinctive characteristics, almost by year, but the more modern ones have me baffled. Good luck with the DiMaggio.

HOF Auto Rookies
05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Brent, that was totally uncalled for. If you are going to call people names, you really need to make a practice of doing it only to their face.

Quan - Brent has a point. I wasn't thinking about signed cards, so please accept my apology.

I'm sorry Scott

Runscott
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry Scott

Me too. I'm too confrontational and I need to work on that.

HOF Auto Rookies
05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Me too. I'm too confrontational and I need to work on that.

Hey, we are just passionate about our hobby and we all have each other's backs, it happens lol

Runscott
05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey, we are just passionate about our hobby and we all have each other's backs, it happens lol

True. Quite often I don't understand what Quan is talking about, but I still read his posts. I think he's talked about 'cards' before, meaning 'signed cards', and I was also confused.

I try to stick to only reading autograph forum posts about pre-war baseball players, but because of negative experiences with PSA and all the authenticated fakes flying around, I have a hard time resisting the topic.

Also, each time I think we are gathering momentum that might possibly 'force' PSA and JSA to do the job they are getting paid to do, that momentum gets diluted by forum members who pat them on the back. Nothing wrong with that - this is a place to say whatever you want, and generate discussions - but I really don't see anything getting better as a result of our discussions here.

Exhibitman
05-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Jason

No need for an apology, Jason, as I don't think it offended anyone who read it fairly. I appreciate hearing about what happened. I've never sent in an auction LOA to convert to a full LOA, so I am glad you posted your experience with it. I recently had kind of the opposite experience with JSA. I won a signed card with a JSA auction LOA and sent it to SGC's new service for encapsulation. It came back "inconclusive" which I found amusing since the head authenticator at SGC is JSA-trained. In other words, it's all a popcorn fart anyway ;)

jhs5120
05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
True. Quite often I don't understand what Quan is talking about, but I still read his posts. I think he's talked about 'cards' before, meaning 'signed cards', and I was also confused.

I try to stick to only reading autograph forum posts about pre-war baseball players, but because of negative experiences with PSA and all the authenticated fakes flying around, I have a hard time resisting the topic.

Also, each time I think we are gathering momentum that might possibly 'force' PSA and JSA to do the job they are getting paid to do, that momentum gets diluted by forum members who pat them on the back. Nothing wrong with that - this is a place to say whatever you want, and generate discussions - but I really don't see anything getting better as a result of our discussions here.

I'm just giving credit where credit is due. You can learn a thing or two from it.

Runscott
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm just giving credit where credit is due. You can learn a thing or two from it.

Yeah, I've never given anyone credit for anything :rolleyes:

Jason, my recommendation is that you post your experience on your Facebook page and simply remove any comments that are contrary to your own beliefs. And if anyone repeats the offense, simply de-friend them.

jhs5120
05-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I've never given anyone credit for anything :rolleyes:

Jason, my recommendation is that you post your experience on your Facebook page and simply remove any comments that are contrary to your own beliefs. And if anyone repeats the offense, simply de-friend them.

I don't think I have posted any "beliefs". I have yet to share my personal opinion of PSA, Joe Orlando and anyone of the sort, so I am not quite sure what you're reading.

I was simply sharing a positive and informative experience (since there were clearly members who weren't aware of some of the services this company provides) and I was met with a rude comment criticizing me for sharing something positive. So, since this is my only experience with you, no, I have never seen you give credit when it is due. So please take note.