PDA

View Full Version : 1919 World Series Ticket

Shoeless Moe
05-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Someone is the proud owner of a fake 1919 World Series Ticket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-AMERICAN-LEAGUE-WORLDS-SERIES-RAIN-CHECK-/111072387629?nma=true&si=%252BiU2ELKROvcyyhuP0GrMlrkO46s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jerseygary
05-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Boy, that doesn't even qualify as a good ink jet copy! You'd think if you were going to buy a highly collectible item like that you'd be smart enough to do research.

GrayGhost
05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
And the seller is prob off the hook, as he said "he wasn't sure of authenticity". Its just an example of another stupid bidder

Dave4Reds
05-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I appreciate posts that out fakes, but it would be even better if you could explain how you know it's fake for us novices. Thanks.

horzverti
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
On the bright side...only $2 s/h! :cool:

jerseygary
05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
You are right, I hate it when people write the "+1" or "Fake" posts without saying what is wrong. Half the time I think it is just someone who wants to pretend they are experts.

I'm just finishing my lunch break so I'll try to lay it out fast...

First of all, I believe the back of a 1919 Comiskey Park ticket has printing on the originals, at least the ones I have seen do. It has legal copy about an "act of 1918" or something on the back. That to me is the first thing that jumps out. Second, being a graphic designer by trade, I can make the educated guess that this is a color xerox, or most likely an ink jet, color copy. The background color of the ticket is only on one side, original was colored on both. The "ribbed" paper is an attempt to replicate the light lined pattern in the background of the original which stops and leaves a clear, pattern-free border around the ticket. The orginal was printed on a smoother paper with no ribs like the copy on ebay. The biggest thing to me is the evenness of the printing. The originals had a variance in the ink pressure, this is too even or consistent. The "Q", "89" and the "3" would have been printed with 2 different sets of blocks so the ink pressure and thickness would be varied, at least a little. But, instead of me going on, try a Google Images search for 1919 Comiskey tickets and you can see several, including one close to what this copies, and look at the subtle differences.

GrayGhost
05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
You are right, I hate it when people write the "+1" or "Fake" posts without saying what is wrong. Half the time I think it is just someone who wants to pretend they are experts.

I'm just finishing my lunch break so I'll try to lay it out fast...

First of all, I believe the back of a 1919 Comiskey Park ticket has printing on the originals, at least the ones I have seen do. It has legal copy about an "act of 1918" or something on the back. That to me is the first thing that jumps out. Second, being a graphic designer by trade, I can make the educated guess that this is a color xerox, or most likely an ink jet, color copy. The background color of the ticket is only on one side, original was colored on both. The "ribbed" paper is an attempt to replicate the light lined pattern in the background of the original which stops and leaves a clear, pattern-free border around the ticket. The orginal was printed on a smoother paper with no ribs like the copy on ebay. The biggest thing to me is the evenness of the printing. The originals had a variance in the ink pressure, this is too even or consistent. The "Q", "89" and the "3" would have been printed with 2 different sets of blocks so the ink pressure and thickness would be varied, at least a little. But, instead of me going on, try a Google Images search for 1919 Comiskey tickets and you can see several, including one close to what this copies, and look at the subtle differences.

not too mention the fact that the memorabilia related to this series is INCREDIBLY searched for and collected. Thus, its NOT LIKELY a GENUINE ticket like this could slip through thousands of ebayers. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its likely Roast duck:)

Dave4Reds
05-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks Gary...that was very helpful.

jerseygary
05-21-2013, 06:58 PM
No problem, glad I could help. Like I said, I'm sorry about the response without an explanation, that IS annoying!