PDA

View Full Version : Who bought it - one of the finest baseball photos

BigJJ
05-19-2013, 04:47 AM
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=25802

Who bought the Ruth Cobb photo? I think that photo is incredible.

Both men had really rough early lives. That rough early life made Ruth ever empathetic and generous, and Cobb ever tough and nasty. The two didnt get each other, and I had never seen a photo of the two, just the two, before. And even in the photo there is a gulf between them. Ruth thought Cobb was nasty, and Cobb, ever serious, thought Ruth was ridiculous. Can even tell in the photo, Ruth is hamming it up for the cameraman and Cobb is getting ready to play.

Also the stark difference in how baseball was played between these two generations.

Just an incredible piece.

gnaz01
05-19-2013, 05:35 AM
It wasn't me J, I'm in the middle of buying what I consider to be a more significant photo :D

BigJJ
05-19-2013, 06:09 AM
I was wondering Greg ;)

I thought either you or Ben were the top bidder.

Scott Garner
05-19-2013, 06:32 AM
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=25802

Who bought the Ruth Cobb photo? I think that photo is incredible.

Both men had really rough early lives. That rough early life made Ruth ever empathetic and generous, and Cobb ever tough and nasty. The two didnt get each other, and I had never seen a photo of the two, just the two, before. And even in the photo there is a gulf between them. Ruth thought Cobb was nasty, and Cobb, ever serious, thought Ruth was ridiculous. Can even tell in the photo, Ruth is hamming it up for the cameraman and Cobb is getting ready to play.

Also the stark difference in how baseball was played between these two generations.

Just an incredible piece.

JJ,
What you might be interested to know is that Ruth did respect Cobb's style of play.

Later in Babe's career he was asked if he had to reinvent himself and model another player, who would it be?

Ruth answered emphatically that it would be Cobb.

BigJJ
05-19-2013, 07:01 AM
S, Interesting, I believe it. would have been tough to have Cobb's basepath game with those skinny ankles :)

Runscott
05-19-2013, 08:22 AM
It started getting some good action very late in the auction. All it needed was a respected photographer's stamp on the back to go well over $10k. Wonder if the nice trim helped or hurt the price?

drc
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I once owned the Cobb/Thomas Edison/Mack photo. If the winner is reading, it originally belonged to Eddie Collins. Came from his personal photo collection.

Forever Young
05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Although I did bid on it, I was not one of the bidders after midnight. It is a very nice photo.. congrats to the winner.

ptr002
05-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I was the underbidder on the lot. I did win the Conlon Cobb photo though so it wasn't a total disappointment.

BigJJ
05-19-2013, 07:51 PM
P, great pickup.