PDA

View Full Version : 19th century cabinet photo team/town ID help?

1880nonsports
05-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Infrequent poster from the "other" side! I collect "smoking" stuff as well as cards and advertising. I love the pipe smoking theme in this cabinet. Two of the men are wearing baseball uniforms and the man on the left in the back is holding a bat. All are holding long stem pipes. Lawrence Mass photographer's attribution. Unsure whether it's a college pledge team or social group or whatever. Also the name on the uniforms is causing me some consternation. Backwards or forwards I'm unable to even proffer a guess......... Thought you'se guys might have an idea?

Leon
05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't have an idea but that is a great looking photo. Thanks for sharing it...

drc
05-18-2013, 12:59 PM
A good guess is it's some local men's social club, lodge type thing. My guess is only the front two are baseball payers-- and they clearly are baseball players-- and perhaps were members of the social club/lodge's baseball team. The guys in the striped shirts aren't baseball players-- perhaps another sport.

As a baseball photo centric person, I agree with Leon it is an interesting photo. And the pipes (and beer) are part of what make it a nice photo.

tachyonbb
05-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Perhaps the Niotus club? Andover Mass in the late 1800's.

They played baseball in the late 1800's and played against various private schools (now prep schools and colleges).

1880nonsports
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
to me! Thanks guys. I should have googled the name but it made no sense to me so figured there was sumptin I was missing. If you peep at this Leon - can't believe the RE price on the 1939 acc - maybe I shudda bit at yours he said sheepishly,,,,,,,,,,,,,