PDA

View Full Version : Cracker Jack cards about to skyrocket?

Mick_7
05-18-2013, 12:08 AM
After just placing my pre-order for the 100th anniversary Cracker Jack collection book that's about to debut at the National, I'm wondering if anybody else is getting the feeling that 1914-1915 CJ cards are about take off big time with collectors? Kinda in the same manner that the 100th anny of the T206 set triggered this huge uprising of renewed interest amongst collectors in all things T206 over the last few years.

It never dawned on me until I spoke with a long time private collector friend in Corona Del Mar. He's been hearing from top auction guys and from other high level collectors that there's about to be a significant spike in interest in the CJ collection as the 100th anniversary kicks in. I will say he had an incredible collection. He further explained to me that he was contemplating consigning many of his CJ cards after getting the heads up. I'm sure he's seeing dollar signs, haha. Suffice it to say I couldn't get him to part with any of them even after a few failed attempts at making offers, lol.

What do you guys think?

drc
05-18-2013, 12:10 AM
If by skyrocket you mean tank, I agree completely.

Sorry, just being a smart ass.

rhettyeakley
05-18-2013, 02:40 AM
I don't see it happening for that reason. The CJ set is a very significant and attractive set and if the cards had a surge in price I wouldn't be too surprised but not because of a meaninglessly arbitrary milestone like the 100th anniversary of their production. These types of events rarely affect the cards in the way we think.

rainier2004
05-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Originally I thought the 100th anniversary could show a spike, I started my set almost 3 years ago to the day and this didn't occur to me until 18 months ago or so. In that time Id say CJs peaked last fall and has seen a drop in both 14s and 15s since then primarily in commons and lower lever HOFers. In the end, the only thing that dictates the price is how many collectors are involved and it seems like that number has slowed. Three 1914 sets were finished last summer/fall and the CJ hog is not buying anymore plus a huge influx of 1914 f/s in last 6 months has seen some dramatic price drops in rare commons. When I first got involved in n54 2 years ago it seems like there was much more CJ conversation than now, plus there seems to the thought that all these cards are so "common", funny coming from t206 collectors...I guess we shall see.

Mick_7
05-18-2013, 07:09 AM
When I first got involved in n54 2 years ago it seems like there was much more CJ conversation than now, plus there seems to the thought that all these cards are so "common", funny coming from t206 collectors...I guess we shall see.

Oh I know, I love the T206 guys throw around the word "common" lol, I swear there are more T206 cards on this earth than anything else from that era....and it's not even close. Cracker Jack cards in general (ESPECIALLY 1914s) are nowhere near as easy to find as T206s. I tend to believe what this older collector is predicting as he's been in the hobby since the late 1960's. He's seen about every wave there has been and knows what's gonna trigger a tickle in collector's fancies. His sources aren't your average collectors, I promise you that. He lives in a whole other world of millionaire hobbyists that I can't even compete with.

yanksfan09
05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
As a CJ collector, I hope there isn't a price surge. I wouldn't expect there to be though anyway just because it's 100 years. A very high percentage of the sets that most on this board collect have either already passed the 100 year milestone or will in a relatively short time (1900-1919 timeframe). Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing surges with other sets because of 100 years. Has this happened with other sets to a significant degree before?

Danny Smith
05-18-2013, 10:54 AM
If one of the major card producers gets in the mix and creates a buzz about the 100th anniversary by producing a modern set I could see a temporary pop that draws attention from fringe collectors. Otherwise im not so sure if there will much of an additional surge in demand.

yanksfan09
05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
If one of the major card producers gets in the mix and creates a buzz about the 100th anniversary by producing a modern set I could see a temporary pop that draws attention from fringe collectors. Otherwise im not so sure if there will much of an additional surge in demand.

I know they made Cracker Jack sets in 2004 and 2005. I don't know if they have plans for anymore, maybe?

Section103
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
We didnt really see a big boost in T206s at 100 years, did we? I dont see why Cracker Jack would experience anything differently.

Shoele$$
05-18-2013, 11:51 AM
We didnt really see a big boost in T206s at 100 years, did we? I dont see why Cracker Jack would experience anything differently.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, maybe it was a coincidence, but it's interesting to note that right about when T206 embarked on it's 100th anniversary around 2009, the E-card bubble was bursting and it seemed like a seismic shift in the hobby went heavily back toward T206 in the form of record prices for everything associated with the T206 set from "tough" commons to rarer backs to "printing errors" to "ghosts" to "freaks" etc. it's litterally exploded over the past few years since the anniversary.

Danny Smith
05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I know they made Cracker Jack sets in 2004 and 2005. I don't know if they have plans for anymore, maybe?

Topps did their first t206 release in 2002 and then in 2009 and 2010 in honor of the 100th year anniversary.

I haven't heard anything about a CJ 100th anniversary but it wouldn't surprise me if they put out a new release.

Section103
05-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, you're definitely right about the new interest in ghosts, etc. Whether its 100 years or not, I have to wonder if the same interest will grow in any of the iconic sets. There's no reason it couldnt happen, though maybe not as many sets have the same printing issues as the T206. I really havent been in tune w T206 prices close enough to say either way.

Leon
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
As mentioned earlier in this thread, maybe it was a coincidence, but it's interesting to note that right about when T206 embarked on it's 100th anniversary around 2009, the E-card bubble was bursting and it seemed like a seismic shift in the hobby went heavily back toward T206 in the form of record prices for everything associated with the T206 set from "tough" commons to rarer backs to "printing errors" to "ghosts" to "freaks" etc. it's litterally exploded over the past few years since the anniversary.

That is true.

However, I don't think there will be an inordinate rise in Cracker Jack value vis a vis their anniversary. Only a guess on my part.

Shoele$$
05-18-2013, 12:22 PM
That is true.

However, I don't think there will be an inordinate rise in Cracker Jack value vis a vis their anniversary. Only a guess on my part.

Nice addition of the pics Leon ;)

Man I do have a soft spot for 1914 CJs :D

Just the fact that they're so much harder to find in good condition because of the whole kids getting them out of boxes thing, but damn I wish it wasn't so hard to put the entire set together. The images on that CJ set were so beautiful!

Theo_450
05-19-2013, 10:52 AM
PSA population report shows just over 153,000 T-206s (all backs) graded (by PSA).
and just under 14,000 for 1914 and 1915 CJs combined.
I know that doesn't include raw cards and other grading companies, but it should be a pretty good snapshot of the difference in the number of cards that are out there.

Rarity does not always match proportionally to interest/desirability. It is about what people like.

I am pretty surprised that card collecting has been so resilient during the state of our economy over the last 5 years, but that is probably OT!

Thought I would follow Leon's lead and add a little color! :D

MattyC
05-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Gorgeous cards.

Been on a quest for two years now to find a 1914 Cobb.

RichR
05-20-2013, 02:34 PM
As per the OP question it might highlight the set and attract a few new people but I don't think it will be anything dramatic.

I'm slightly biased as this is my favorite set but I don't understand why it isn't more popular. Maybe the printing size factors into that...

GregMitch34
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I collect some cj 14s but my view is they are not so popular because, frankly, too few really attractive poses--and many very similar, plus little color variety.

Shoele$$
05-20-2013, 03:14 PM
As per the OP question it might highlight the set and attract a few new people but I don't think it will be anything dramatic.

I'm slightly biased as this is my favorite set but I don't understand why it isn't more popular. Maybe the printing size factors into that...

I don't know, I don't think the sizes really have anything to do with it, I just think prices for many of the cards (due to moderate overall rarity) are already pretty pricey compared to T206 and 1933 Goudey in which there's an ABUNDANCE of cards. So I'm thinking it's just a little bit too costly to start collecting for the average hobbyist.

But if there was ever a set that was due for a new price jump it's these. Some of the best quality images of any pre war cards (next to T206) reside in this legendary card set.

IMO it's right there with best sets of all time:

1.) T206
2.) 1952 Topps
3.) 1933 Goudey
4.) 1914/15 Cracker Jack

MVSNYC
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I love CJ's, don't own any, but gorgeous cards for sure.

As many mentioned above, the T206 spike and steady increase in value & desirability had very little to do with the 100 year anniversary, it's random and arbitrary (as someone said above) to make that association. If they rise in price, it'll be due to supply & demand, like anything else.

Jacker_ Cracks
05-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Long time reader of this fine messagae board. I started collecting the 1914CJ's about a year and a half ago. Was drawn to the red color and fantastic images. I am about 80% through (mostly PSA graded and the rest SGC) and enjoying the "ride". Was recently hit by the T206 bug though..

rainier2004
05-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Long time reader of this fine messagae board. I started collecting the 1914CJ's about a year and a half ago. Was drawn to the red color and fantastic images. I am about 80% through (mostly PSA graded and the rest SGC) and enjoying the "ride". Was recently hit by the T206 bug though..

80% thru in 18 months is simply amazingly ridiculous, wow, that's incredible...so the question becomes what 20% is left?

Jacker_ Cracks
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Steven,
Still got to get the big 4 (Matty,Cobb, Wagner and Jackson). The plan was to acquire less rare commons first, then rarer commons, lesser priced HOFers. Now its slow roll to the more expensive HOFers and still looking for the lower pops as well. Was able to pick up an Alexander from REA:)

btkpath
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Hey J.R......congrats on the pickup of the Alexander at REA. That was a nice looking card. Sounds like you are making great progress. Now comes the heavy lifting!!!

Jacker_ Cracks
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Barry,

No doubt! Cant believe the prices on the big 4. Not to mention the Pratt:eek: Still not sure why it is going so high?? Gonna have to tread slowly for sure.