PDA

View Full Version : Orioles Team Hall of Fame - Just hit 100%

AMBST95
05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I am a lifelong Orioles fan and finally got the last card I needed, a 1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm. This set, along with my Cal Ripken collection are what brought me back into the hobby. I know that this set pales in comparison to most I've seen on the Net54 Forum, but it's brought me a lot of enjoyment. It will always be a work in progress as more members will always be added and I'll always be on the lookout for upgrades, but I'm pretty geeked out right now and had no one to share my excitement with.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=97843

cubsfan-budman
05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Very cool! Looks like a lot of work. Will you continue to hunt for upgrades?

ALR-bishop
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Congratulations on a cool project Adam. Did you collect one type card for each Hall Of Fame Oriole, or all their cards or multiple cards ? What were your parameters

Here is an interesting Hall Of Fame Oriole card because it involves one of only a handful of pose variations in the Topps 1967 Punch Out set....Frank Robinson as a Red and as an Oriole

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img079.jpg

AMBST95
05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I tried to collect one Beckett recognized rookie card from each player. Not a "true" rookie collection as there are always the discrepancies and nuances of first cards vs rookie cards and regional issues, etc. But cards I've found enjoyable nonetheless. I also really wanted to keep my overall card quality at NM or better. I'm still short of that goal on the 2 Prewar cards. I add a card here or there when I can and it's the first set I think I've ever "completed".

Those punch outs are pretty cool. It's funny that Topps would choose that image following his triple crown season for the American League card.

Cubsfan - I'll keep my eyes open for upgrades but since starting this set, I've really delved into my prewar interests and am concentrating moreso on some of those goals right now.

ALR-bishop
05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Very neat collecting idea Adam. Do you live in Baltimore ? I have always enjoyed going to the National there, and attending a game during the show.