PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new baseball card indexes

alexvbp
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Baseball card prices are the highest they've been since 2008. I've made four different indexes which track postwar card values: one for Mantle cards, one for Mays cards, one for Aaron cards and one for a broader range of hall of famers from the 50s and 60s. There are some neat looking graphs on my website! (http://www.vintagebaseballplus.com/indexes.html)

esquiresports
05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Very interesting site, but it doesn't render very well on Firefox. Can you add some details explaining how you measure, for example, the Aaron index? Is it just a particular year and grade? Source of data, etc. Thanks.

KCRfan1
05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Interesting site and index's. I suspect that the increases, in each index, are driven by the older card's of the players and HoF's. The later years will see less appreciation than the earlier years of the examples. The HoF index appears driven by the 52 Mays, 53 Mantle, 54 Aaron, 55 Koufax, 63 Rose, and 68 Ryan. The large amount of rookie cards in the HoF index would naturally appreciate well though.

alexvbp
05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
The Firefox issues are fixed (I think.)

Each of the player indexes includes the complete "basic" set for that player, e.g., the Aaron index includes the primary Hank Aaron card for each set from 1954-1976. I included the three most frequently traded grades for each card. The idea there is to exclude the extreme ends of the market, which may behave differently from the market that most collectors are interested in and have access to. The raw data comes from VCP, and its basically a moving average with a few filters to get rid of outliers.

I suspect that the increases, in each index, are driven by the older card's of the players and HoF's. The later years will see less appreciation than the earlier years of the examples. The HoF index appears driven by the 52 Mays, 53 Mantle, 54 Aaron, 55 Koufax, 63 Rose, and 68 Ryan. The large amount of rookie cards in the HoF index would naturally appreciate well though.

This could be the case, but I don't think it is. All the cards are weighed equally, so the more valuable cards don't have more influence than the less valuable cards. Also if this were true, I would expect the Mantle index to outperform the other indexes. I will try to analyze this further in a future update.