PDA

View Full Version : T206 Cut

oldjudge
05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know how T206s were cut from sheets in the factory? If so, were all rows/ columns on the sheet cut at once or was each row of the sheet cut separately? I ask this, because if the former was the way things were done then the top and bottom edge, and the two side edges, must be parallel. My question arises from this REA lot description in which Rob points out that the top and bottom edges of this card are not parallel, and thus the card, despite being in a PSA 8 holder, may have been trimmed.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=$24,782.00

steve B
05-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Usually stuff printed in sheets is cut in a few ways.

The excess edges are removed first, then the rows cut so it's strips, then the strips are cut into individual pieces.

If there's a lot of small things that makes for strips that can be hard to handle. So the sheet may be cut into more manageable blocks before cutting into strips then individual items.

There's enough diamond cut cards that it's likely they cut strips and either had a hard time handling them, or one of the cutters wasn't setup properly.

If the machine is setup right and the operator follows good practices the cards should be square. If there's a mechanical problem or the operator doesn't follow good practices all sorts of stuff can happen. Diamond cuts are common, but a non-paralell cut is just as likely.

One thing that amazes me is that I've never seen one showing any hint of being cut back up rather than face up.

Steve B

T206Collector
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
SGC Collector Magazine had an article about T206s and detecting trimming. They pointed out that one of the edges always should have a slight bevel (sp?) to it -- very slightly rounded. If all four edges are square, then one of them has been trimmed.

Not sure that answers the question, but maybe provides some clues.....

:cool:

Craig M
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I love this thread and thanks for starting it.

Steve B...you stated that you believe the excess edges were removed first...

In general printing I would concur if there was not info printed in the margin. So my question is, why did ALC print factory # anomalies in the margins of the reverse Sweet Cap 25 and 30's

Thanks,

Craig

Runscott
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Here's one I own with factory-cut non-parallel top and bottom.

steve B
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I love this thread and thanks for starting it.

Steve B...you stated that you believe the excess edges were removed first...

In general printing I would concur if there was not info printed in the margin. So my question is, why did ALC print factory # anomalies in the margins of the reverse Sweet Cap 25 and 30's

Thanks,

Craig

I think those would be to identify the sheets while they were in stock at ALC. The cards would most likely have been stored as sheets than cut, packed and shipped as needed.
Probably in batches for the brands that sold well like SC and Piedmont, probably not for brands like Broadleaf and Lenox.

It's much easier to handle a pallet of sheets than large number of small cards. It's also less labor in the event the cards aren't needed.

We did a large job once that was miserable. Magazine size but stiffer book, and very glossy. A handful of 20-25 of them usually slid apart making me drop them. We made 50,000 of the things. The we delivered the first half, an entire van full. The people at the office weren't aware how much space they took up. When we left there was no free space at all in their office. Even lifted ceiling tiles to stack boxes into the open space above. We kept the other 25000 on a pallet in boxes for maybe 6 months. At that point they had decided to pay but not have them delivered. So I spent some time unboxing them all so we could reuse the boxes.

Steve B