PDA

View Full Version : Help: card storage table

bbcard1
05-07-2013, 01:19 PM
In a thread I guess a couple of weeks ago, there was a picture of a table which had a top that was on a hinge and could store a large selection of cards under it...does anyone remember where that was or could they post a pic?

pgellis
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Here you go:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166718&highlight=tobacco+storage

steve B
05-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes, It's mine, made by me.

I can make something similar, but shipping is the problem. Unless I do removeable legs which takes up a bunch of space inside.

I'm slowly working on a card catalod type storage unit for some of my other cards. Slow going since I'm taking care of the two kids most of the time. The older one (2 1/2) isn't quite ready to help out in the workshop yet:)

Steve B

bbcard1
05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I am on the other end of the parenthood spectrum Steve B. My son will be going off to Virginia Tech, which means my daughter will move into his room, vacating her small room and he will move into his "man cave" gameroom for the five months or so that he will be home...so it looks like I will get an office again for the first time in some years. I could use it...though I have loved every minute we have lived under the same roof and will miss him a lot, even though he will only be about 30 miles down the road and we'll still get to see each other a lot.

Anyhow, I may try my hand at building or retrofitting something later this summer...I'm not real handy, but I am fairly stubborn.

steve B
05-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Retrofitting isn't hard. If you pick up a decent looking old bureau thats a nice start.

I'd replace the drawer bottoms with some 3/4 plywood so they can handle the weight, then make divider inserts. The one in the table is removeable. I used some 1/4 inch -Birch?Ash? I forget which, but it's a stocked item at Lowes. I used some accurately cut 2x4 scraps to space the long parts the right width apart, clamped them together and then glued and nailed the ends on. The compartment near where the lid support is was a bit tricky but not too bad.

The floor of the table is masonite, but Since I was making it I left enough room for a supporting bar for the center.

I figure converting a bureau might take a day for each drawer, maybe less if you've got enough clamps to do more than one insert at a time.

The table is deeper than most, I've never seen a table I could convert for graded cards, and only a few that would be deep enough for toploaders.

I've gotten a lot better since I made the table.

Steve B