PDA

View Full Version : Is it real or not

shelly
05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Just one question yes or no. 98464

David Atkatz
05-06-2013, 06:42 PM
You're one of the experts, Shelly. Why don't you tell us?

Deertick
05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
No.

dogmechanic
05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I am just a beginner but both Bs look bad or am I wrong. Just a gut reaction. Definitely no auto expert on anyone. Bs?:confused:

daves_resale_shop
05-06-2013, 07:05 PM
imo no good...

Jay Wolt
05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a setup....so I'll say Yes!

Wymers Auction
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
No

David Atkatz
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Of course it's a setup. So why play?

Westsiders
05-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Agreed.

But how about this one....currently on Ebay. :eek::D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-New-York-Yankees-Single-Signed-Baseball-/281102714741?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item4173070775

Wymers Auction
05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Agreed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-New-York-Yankees-Single-Signed-Baseball-/281102714741?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item4173070775
I think that may have been signed by Babe Ruth's dog.

shelly
05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
This is what I am talking about. You think I set a trap. I asked what you thought if it was authentic or not no more no less. I think it sucks. That is my opinion. That is why this thread is so important. It is not what someone else thinks it what you think. Why would you say yes if you dont believe it. Because maybe a TPA says it good. Do you not have a mind of your own? I would also like to add that I will do this over and over again. This not a game this is what you spend your money on and your opinion means as much as anyone else's. It is never going to be gotcha because you are the one going to pay the money.

travrosty
05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
This is what I am talking about. You think I set a trap. I asked what you thought if it was authentic or not no more no less. I think it sucks. That is my opinion. That is why this thread is so important. It is not what someone else thinks it what you think. Why would you say yes if you dont believe it. Because maybe a TPA says it good. Do you not have a mind of your own? I would also like to add that I will do this over and over again. This not a game this is what you spend your money on and your opinion means as much as anyone else's. It is never going to be gotcha because you are the one going to pay the money.

It's not that people dont have their opinions of whether it is good or not, they are just sick of setups, they dont want to have a 30 page argument because some tpa said it was good or vice versa. i am of the variety that dont mind someone who actually doesnt know or have an informed opinion coming on here and asking. but when someone has a strong feeling one way or another and asks anyway because they want to trap someone into an endless debate because a Tpa issued or didnt issue a cert, that sucks.

were you really on the fence with this one, shelly? otherwise why post it? to play around?

when i show a tpa mistake, i show exemplars, give my reasoning as to why i believe they screwed up, what i do NOT do is to show the autograph first asking everyone else what they think of it. i already know its bad, or good, etc.

spring the trap now. people are sick of setups. they are sick of what do you think of this one? i wish jim stinson well, he doesnt have to go through these anymore.

Runscott
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
It looks bad to me, Shelly. But it could have been signed when Ruth was either in a big hurry, drunk and thus in no hurry, woken up in the middle of a nap, hanging upside down, etc. So it could be real, as could any autograph attributed to Ruth. That's why so many weird ones have letters from JSA and PSA - Ruth was quite flexible about how and when he signed.

shelly
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Travis, if you can read and I know that you can. I said it sucks. How much more clearer can I make it.
You also missed the point. I am saying what you believe is what you should go by and no one else should change your mind. Is that clear. Please just say yes or no.

ATP
05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
TPA aside, if someone presented me this ball for sale I would not buy it. Quite a few things off from what I usually look for.

shelly
05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Scott, well spoken for a coffe adict. Yes or no.

steve B
05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
I'll go with no. Not because of anything I see on the autograph, I'm glad I'm not seriously into them because with some I just don't see the stuff you guys talk about.

But that ball......Looks cheap and new. Like a very inexpensive ball written on and tossed around the backyard a while, and recently at that.

Steve B

Runscott
05-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Scott, well spoken for a coffe adict. Yes or no.

No

(only 2 cups today)

thecatspajamas
05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I think the "smells like a setup" mindset is because there have been so many of those "gotcha" threads lately, usually starting in exactly this fashion. Kind of like if you always use the newspaper to spank your dog, you might expect Fido to wince when you pick up The Times, even if he's done nothing wrong.

It also doesn't help that Shelly was the one who started the thread rather than an autograph newbie/novice who is more likely to be actually seeking advice.

shelly
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
This piece was at an estate sale on Sunday in Orange county Ca. It had other nice items in the sale as well. I did not like it but at $1800 if some of the big boys came on here and said ok. I might have bought it. I thank you for your help. I passed on it this morning.

timzcardz
05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I think it sucks. That is my opinion. That is why this thread is so important. It is not what someone else thinks it what you think.

I am saying what you believe is what you should go by and no one else should change your mind. Is that clear.

I did not like it but at $1800 if some of the big boys came on here and said ok. I might have bought it.

Huh? OK, now I'm confused.

To answer your question. It is definitely, absolutely, 100% real, because it surely isn't imaginary!

However, I don't think it is authentic.

shelly
05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Huh? OK, now I'm confused.

To answer your question. It is definitely, absolutely, 100% real, because it surely isn't imaginary!

However, I don't think it is authentic.

I must admit that I did contract myself. I wanted other peoples opinion. I was asked what I thought and I had to say what I thought of the piece. I should never had said if some of the big guys came on and said yes I would change my mind. I thought it was bad and I glad most everyone agreed. I would never have bought it plain and simple. :confused:

David Atkatz
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Shelly, do you ever stop contradicting yourself? First you say "at $1800 if some of the big boys came on here and said ok. I might have bought it." Then you say "I would never have bought it plain and simple."

See, that's what happens when you make up a story. It keeps changing in your head.

Most people, when they're thinking of buying an item and want another opinion first, SAY SO, right out front.

But you, when enough people point out that they're sick of your "what do you think" pointless threads, make up some nonsense that you can't even keep straight.

Wymers Auction
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I like threads like these. I need to learn so I like to give my opinion (which is many times a gut feeling because I am trying to learn) state that I am no expert and then watch and learn from others. The personal attacks really accomplish nothing, but are entertaining to read. I have thought many times of posting a series of Mantle autos in a poll format as I have built an exemplar file of Mantle from what I have learned and compare others answers with mine. Thanks Shelly and all the others on here and I can name many who have helped me in this past year or so. I feel I have learned what would have taken ten years to learn on my own. To the newbies out here I would recommend asking a lot of questions and be humble and learn.

thecatspajamas
05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I like threads like these. I need to learn so I like to give my opinion (which is many times a gut feeling because I am trying to learn) state that I am no expert and then watch and learn from others. The personal attacks really accomplish nothing, but are entertaining to read. I have thought many times of posting a series of Mantle autos in a poll format as I have built an exemplar file of Mantle from what I have learned and compare others answers with mine. Thanks Shelly and all the others on here and I can name many who have helped me in this past year or so. I feel I have learned what would have taken ten years to learn on my own. To the newbies out here I would recommend asking a lot of questions and be humble and learn.

Now there's an idea. Maybe setting up a "poll" would be a better format for these kinds of posts? That way, for those of us who don't have a strong background in authentication or feel inclined to explain our gut reaction, we can just respond to the poll anonymously. And those who have more to say, be it reasoned opinions, analysis, or even the aforementioned personal attacks, can post comments as usual. Sounds like a best-of-both-worlds approach to me, and I think you would get more of the honest gut-check responses with an anonymous poll than if everyone is worried that this is another of those threads, so I'd better be careful how I respond lest I should fall prey to the AHA!

jgmp123
05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Agreed.

Isn't that the ball from Sandlot?:eek:

ATP
05-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I saw this one in the first post for sale a month ago or so. It had the old PSA letter with it. Regardless I don't think it is one I would want to buy.

joed25
05-12-2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-MORE-GAME-USED-BAT-CARD-STATUE-CARDCARD-/290913443899?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&item=290913443899&nma=true&si=SUJkShlKxD%252FblPuvv5ya%252Bf5EpOY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jniarhos
06-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Pitiful!