PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Red Missing Stars

Tcards-Please
05-05-2013, 02:48 PM
While contemplating my next collecting endeavor, I was looking over the 1910-11 Turkey Reds checklist and was surprised that it was missing several key players of that time. I've seen several threads about missing players from the T205 & T206 set, but I haven't seen one on the T3s.

What struck me as odd was the fact that it was missing star players like: Honus Wagner, Eddie Plank, Rube Marquard, Smokey Joe Wood & Zach Wheat.

If the story is accurate about the removal of Honus from the T206 cards, then I can understand why he isn't included in the T3s, but I'm puzzled by the absence of the other players.

Does anyone have opinions or know why some key players weren't included while other less known players were?

I apologize if there is another thread on this topic, but I wasn't able to locate one.

r/
Frank

Jay Wolt
05-05-2013, 03:59 PM
When I was working on the set, I often thought about player selection.
Why some stars didn't make the cut & some common players did, like Bill Burns
who pitched for 5 seasons in the bigs, w/ 5 different teams and had a losing record each year & never won more then 8 games a season.
At least he's famous for his part in the Black Sox scandal.

Somewhere I read that there's a glut of NY Giants since it was easier to sign them then some of the other teams.
All in all the T3's have a good mix of stars as there's 100 cards in the set and 25 are Hall Of Famer's.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/90546628.jpg

Bridwell
05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I suspect that nobody is responding because no one really knows. It's another mystery.

One theory about the player selection is that all the players are action poses, not portraits. If they didn't have a decent action pose of a guy, that might have excluded him. This could possibly include even Wagner, Plank, and Wood.

Another theory is that they planned to have a 2nd series, since there were easily another 100 prominent players they could have used. After the breakup of American Tobacco Company in 1911 they decided not to issue a 2nd series.

Maybe they were expensive to produce, and didn't enhance sales of the brand as much as they hoped.

conor912
05-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Another theory is that they planned to have a 2nd series, since there were easily another 100 prominent players they could have used. After the breakup of American Tobacco Company in 1911 they decided not to issue a 2nd series.

Maybe they were expensive to produce, and didn't enhance sales of the brand as much as they hoped.

Interesting theory. I realize this may be a silly question given the amount of T206 fanatics on this board, but has anyone ever dug deep into research about the ATC as a company?