PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 3 Program - Jets v Colts Need Help on Identifying

Alex251jets
05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Can someone help me tell the difference between the official scarcer game program that you can only pick up at the stadium vs the news stand edition and mail order edition besides the $2 price tag on the "replica"...

Any help is appreciated - I just bought one for my elder dad and want to ensure I was not burned. What are the differences?

Thanks so much

Hot Springs Bathers
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I am not 100 percent sure but I believe the mail editions began the next year with the Chiefs and Vikings.

Alex251jets
05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Thank you, Mike. Any more insight to this would be great.

Right now:

The $2 cover is the newsstand edition and you believe the mail editions started the next year.

Duluth Eskimo
05-02-2013, 03:41 PM
You are referring to the Super Bowl 4 program. There is only one version of SB3. The SB4 program has a line of printing right on the cover under the top Super Bowl printing. You will know it when you see it, although it is in small black print. On the stadium version this is not there.

Alex251jets
05-02-2013, 04:35 PM
You are referring to the Super Bowl 4 program. There is only one version of SB3. The SB4 program has a line of printing right on the cover under the top Super Bowl printing. You will know it when you see it, although it is in small black print. On the stadium version this is not there.

Thanks Duluth, maybe you can help.

I'm referring to SB III between the Jets and Colts (the first "Super Bowl" AFL vs NFL) There are two versions from what I believe. The collector's edition for $2 and the stadium exclusive version for $1.

I was wondering if you knew if there were any other ways to ensure the program is the authentic one sold at the stadiums?

Thanks!

Duluth Eskimo
05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry for the mix up. I believe there is a version that is significantly thicker with more advertising inside than the other, but I do not know which is which or if there is any other difference

Hot Springs Bathers
05-03-2013, 06:19 AM
I am certainly no expert on Super Bowl programs but from everything I have always read the variations began with Super Bowl IV. The first three were all just standard game issues? It would be interesting to find that any of the earlier issues were different?

nolemmings
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
You may be no expert on Super Bowl programs but I know even less, as in virtually nothing. Still, I see there are two types of SB III programs on Ebay right now, easily distinguished by the one vs. two lines of text on the bottom and the $1 vs $2 price tag. Assuming each of these is real, then it seems rather easy to tell which is which, particularly as one says "Collectors' Edition" on it. Am I missing something?

Alex251jets
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
You may be no expert on Super Bowl programs but I know even less, as in virtually nothing. Still, I see there are two types of SB III programs on Ebay right now, easily distinguished by the one vs. two lines of text on the bottom and the $1 vs $2 price tag. Assuming each of these is real, then it seems rather easy to tell which is which, particularly as one says "Collectors' Edition" on it. Am I missing something?

The $1 one may have some extra advertising in the newsstand ones and less in the at-game site program. Number of pages and other distinguishable notes or marks or prints to distinguish an original at-game program to a replica or fake is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again

nolemmings
05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
I am having trouble understanding you--I guess I'm just thick. Are you suggesting that there are two different $1 programs, one sold at the stadium and the other at newsstands, with the latter containing more advertising? If so why is it that you call one of these a fake or replica? While I can see why the stadium version would be more desirable, are they not both contemporaneous to the event and thus genuine?

Are you also then suggesting that there is a third version--one marked "Collector's Edition" that sold for $2.00 either at newsstands or through the mail?

Good luck on your quest, and I hope you landed the version you wanted.

thecatspajamas
05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I know nothing about Super Bowl programs, but it's always a good idea to post photos or scans of what you're talking about to give a clearer idea of what you have or are looking at. That tends to save a LOT of typing in attempting to describe the items clearly and give the reader a better idea of what you are referring to.

nolemmings
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Here are a couple of scans from current ebay auctions--note the bottom text
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1969-Super-Bowl-III-3-Program-Magazine-New-York-Jets-Baltimore-Colts-/00/s/ODcyWDY3OA==/z/uoEAAMXQwKdRcwyV/$T2eC16NHJGIFFo9mJc4MBRcwyVDBQQ~~60_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUPER-BOWL-III-COLLECTORS-EDITION-PROGRAM-1969-JETS-JOE-NAMATH-vs-COLTS-NM-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjI1/z/7BEAAOxyaTxRKpy3/$(KGrHqZ,!hoFEQ07q3KTBRKpy3Q-iQ~~60_57.JPG

Alex251jets
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
thanks to the poster to posting the two different versions.

my version from eBay came today and it is 120 pages long. which i was told by a friendly eBayer whom I did not buy the program from that is the length of the collector's edition. but he is unsure if the regular program is 120 as well.

here is the main concern about the program i received. the spine and binding are tight, too tight, and stapled. i have attached two photos and would like some insight as to what you guys think.

1. are the staples supposed to be there?
2. is it doctored with the staples?
3. did my father and i somehow get duped

two pictures are attached.

1) one showing the staples on the first page of the program.
2) one showing the closed program where you can see through and look at the staple

Hot Springs Bathers
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
This is a great discovery, it also points out the need for more research into football publications. I doubt there are many World Series program variations out there that have not been documented!

Alex251jets
05-04-2013, 07:47 AM
This is a great discovery, it also points out the need for more research into football publications. I doubt there are many World Series program variations out there that have not been documented!

I did talk to some collectors and the staples should not be there and doctored. The seller is working well with me so far thankfully.

Duluth Eskimo
05-04-2013, 10:43 PM
For what its worth, I have no problem with the staples and believe that is original. I do not have a version to reference in front of me, but I have sold a few of these over the years.

kneerat
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I beleive the staples are 100 percent fine as well.