PDA

View Full Version : Question about THE NUNS t206 Wagner

mr.t206
05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I would like to apologize in advance if this topic has already been brought up, I just saw this thing and had a couple of questions. First, if this card was covered in shillac how was sgc able to authenticate it? Wouldn't the shillac pose a problem once under a microscope? Considering it would look different than a raw card not coated in a substance? Maybe its just me, but I kinda thought the shillac would prevent sgc from grading it. Maybe I'm wrong which is why i thought id seek the advice of some of you more seasoned collectors. Thanks

Shoele$$
05-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm sure Andrew will be able to chime in here and better answer this question for you....

His first hand knowledge on this card is invaluable ;)

drc
05-02-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't know SGC's methodology, but a microscope should work through shellac if the shellack is relatively clear. My microscope could saw a card's printing through a PSA holder. You have to be able to get the microscopic image in focus, and a thin film shouldn't prevent that. If somethings framed behind glass, then that can be too far away to get a proper focused look.

With old photos it can be a different situation, as you often have to look at the paper fibers to authenticate. Shellac could probably hide that view. I think shellac could cause legitimate authentication problems with an 1800s photograph. Though I can't recall ever having had a photo old or new that was shellacked, so I'm speculating. And, anyway, with a T206 you're examining the printing not the paper fibers.

Bored5000
05-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Shellac kills the value of the card, though. The nuns' Wagner couldn't even find a buyer on here at $75,000. ;)

EvilKing00
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm sure Andrew will be able to chime in here and better answer this question for you....

His first hand knowledge on this card is invaluable ;)

omg!!! lolol :eek:

bn2cardz
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Honus Wagner gets A-List treatment. If it is trimmed it can be a PSA 8. If it is shellacked it gets a holder where as the shellacked Red Hindu from the October Sterling auction couldn't be holdered. (http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=13588)

sycks22
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I wish someone had a picture of a certain member holding it. That'd sure help I think ;)

drc
05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Until this thread, I didn't know the card was shellacked.

mrvster
05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I am the proud owner(RED HINDU DEVORE).....believe it or not, laminated , IT LOOKS SWEET!!:)

martindl
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I guess all Wagners retain a previous owners' association, but it's fun to imagine people some two hundred years from now still referring to it as the Nuns' Wagner.

drc
05-02-2013, 09:05 PM
My ancestors were expelled from their homeland by the Catholics, so each time this card is graded it brings back bad memories. I refer to it as the shellac of shame.

drc
05-03-2013, 12:15 AM
For the record, my ancestors really were expelled by the French Catholics, but I have nothing against Nun cards. I was just giving a editorial counterbalance to the previous post.