PDA

View Full Version : Card authenticity from a distance??

ruth-gehrig
04-30-2013, 08:10 AM
I know this is a photo from a distance but it's the only picture available on an auctions website. The auction is on a Monday (2 hrs away) and I don't know if it's worth going to. If I go I'll obviously be able to take a closer look but can anyone tell anything from this distance?? Do most of these "look to good"??

T205 GB
04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Looks like a nice lot. 56 mantle and the Aaron look like nice cards

MikeGarcia
04-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Those are all heavily reprinted so caution is paramount ; but then again the collector may be one of us centering weenies in which case you'd better take a suitcase full of C-notes in case they are all originals....let us know the outcome , okay ?

HOF Auto Rookies
04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
If those are authentic...wow

wondo
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
The 1954 Williams looks centered to the top - a good sign. Good luck!

Matthew H
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
They look nice... Don't forget to bring your loupe, the '57 looks a shave-skinny... from a distance.

ruth-gehrig
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys so far :) If I happen to attend and the cards are good I'll go after them if the prices are right. I'm not a big card collector so for sure they'd be offered on net54

drc
04-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Look awfully bright colored and clean to me, which makes me wonder. But other than that I don't see any obvious signs of being reprints. None of the cards is rare, so it's certainly possible for a small local auction to have genuine examples.

The backs and sides should be genuine cardboard if genuine. I don't know of any reprints that have matte cardboard on back.

I doubt the 62 and 64 Mantles or the 59 Aaron are a big focus of counterfeits in the hobby. Those aren't years counterfeiters would normally pick. If it was a 52 Topps Mantle instead of the 62 Topps and a 51 Bowman instead of the 64T, I'd be much more suspicious.

I think they're likely genuine. Just my guess from looking and thinking at a distance.

jimivintage
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
The Aaron RC looks OC, too, which is likely a good sign since so many of them are. Best of luck!!

cubsfan-budman
04-30-2013, 01:13 PM
When viewing the Pete Rose, remember to look at the hat:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162637&highlight=pete+rose+reprint

Wymers Auction
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Look awfully bright colored and clean to me, which makes me wonder. But other than that I don't see any obvious signs of being reprints. None of the cards is rare, so it's certainly possible for a small local auction to have genuine examples.

The backs and sides should be genuine cardboard if genuine. I don't know of any reprints that have matte cardboard on back.

I doubt the 62 and 64 Mantles or the 59 Aaron are a big focus of counterfeits in the hobby. Those aren't years counterfeiters would normally pick. If it was a 52 Topps Mantle instead of the 62 Topps and a 51 Bowman instead of the 64T, I'd be much more suspicious.

I think they're likely genuine. Just my guess from looking and thinking at a distance.
I agree if I saw Mantle rookies or Ruth Goudeys I would worry much more. I would still bring my loupe though.

Wymers Auction
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
I would also add that unless you are good with Rose rookies I might leave that alone. You can shine a light behind the card and if the light is seen through the card it is counterfeit. There are many reprints and counterfeits of this card.

jhs5120
04-30-2013, 01:43 PM
If they are authentic, they all look trimmed. I'd bring a ruler lol

ruth-gehrig
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
I couldn't make the auction so we'll never know :mad:

chipperhank44
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Sucks you missed the auction, but I'd bet money that those were fake. It is funny how every small auction house in America seems to have a '56 Mantle, a '54 Ted Williams, and a Hank Aaron RC for sale, but no commons, no semistars, etc.. Just surprised there wasn't a '48 Leaf Ted Williams in there, printer ink must have been low.

Paul S
05-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for following up. Sorry you couldn't make the auction because I would have liked to have known, but sometimes the route less traveled is better left just that. I am belate to this thread, so just now saw the scan. I have owned all those cards and am now bereft of the Rose rook and the Aaron, since sold. I don't like that scan, as pretty as it seems. To emphasize some others' comments IMHO, very shiny, centering-weenie and most reprinted. What is up with that scan? I imagine it's from a catalog -- print or online --but it looks like the cards were photographed on a pinball machine (at top), then morphs onto a car hood (at bottom). The left side of the image shows fall trees and the right side looks like a driveway. I hate that kind of stuff. Just give it to me straight, Doc!

steve B
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
That's the half A** way to rapidly photo a bunch of lots. Stack them all up and remove stuff from the pile as you go. Painting/print, McCalls cover or print, wooden box, bunch of cards. All stacked on what looks like a matress with no cover.

You're right, it makes for a busy and distracting picture that at best fails to show the items in a good way. Which ultimately hurts the final sale price.

Steve B