PDA

View Full Version : Exemplar Needed - Winston Brown

btcarfagno
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
He never played a game in the majors but was featured on a 1961 Topps card. I recently purchased a group of vintage signed 1961 and 1962 Topps cards and would like to see if the Brown looks good or not.

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/winstonbrown_zpsea39494a.jpeg

shelly
04-29-2013, 01:03 PM

btcarfagno
04-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Thank you Shelly. Tough call as the one I have was supposedly signed around 1961 while yours seems more recent with a thicker marker type of pen. They seem very different to me. But if signed 40+ years apart...

Tom C

dgo71
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
I think those look very similar and to your point, signed quite a few years apart from each other. Even though the sharpie example is thicker, it does appear the first name breaks at the same points "W"-"ins"-"ton" and the second "r" in Brown also appears to be represented as a capital letter. If it were me, and the rest of the lot looked good and there was convincing provenance to the lot, I'd feel good about it.

earlywynnfan
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I think those look very similar and to your point, signed quite a few years apart from each other. Even though the sharpie example is thicker, it does appear the first name breaks at the same points "W"-"ins"-"ton" and the second "r" in Brown also appears to be represented as a capital letter. If it were me, and the rest of the lot looked good and there was convincing provenance to the lot, I'd feel good about it.

I agree. Really, the only difference that sticks out to me is the tail of the N in Brown.

Ken

btcarfagno
04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
To that end (the rest of the lot) here is a Dick Brown from the same lot. It is very similar to two examples that I currently have.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/zzdickbrown_zps962243b9.jpeg

As to the Winston Brown, the end of the "n" concerned me. The capital "R" did seem like a plus, but the flow seemed more compact and less stuttering on the newer signed example. But the Dick Brown looks very good to me, as do a few of the others (Walt Bond, Johnny Keane, etc).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Tom C