PDA

View Full Version : Slightly O/T: Secret to selling on eBay- 1 Day?

Deertick
04-28-2013, 04:31 PM
After having several items up fixed price (with few views), I sent them to one day auction. I have sold 4 items at or near the BIN price. Several sold within hours, and all had more views than they had in 8 days.

These items are not high end, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success selling single cards using a 1 day auction? I'm not talking about PSA 9's, but rather $5 - $10 cards and oddball items. I have felt 'longer time = more views = more sales'. Maybe longer isn't better? :D

It always frustrates me when I have below grade pricing and I see lesser cards sell for more than I am asking. :mad:

BTW, I've been on eBay since 1998 and can't ever remember doing a one day before!

alanu
04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
I've sold things on ebay with a 1 day auction using either a starting price of what I would like to get and/or a BIN.

I think 1 day auctions have the advantage of being picked up on searches of "newly listed" AND "ending soonest" items.

sbfinley
04-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I have noticed as well that I am more apt to place a bid on items that are ending soon if they fall under the "that's cool" but not "I have to have it!" Umbrella. If something has a couple of hours left I'll place a bid. If it has four days left I'll watch it and forget about it or find something else that steals my interest. You might be on to something.

jimm
04-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Do they still charge a premium for 1 day listings?

Deertick
04-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Maybe that's why I never did it. :) I don't know about the fee, I was just using my 200K free listings.

Steve, maybe it is the A.D.D. of the youth, and the C.R.S. of us unyouth. ;)

Runscott
04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
They certainly don't get stale. It's sort of logical - you see the item for the first time, you have very little time to bid before it ends, so you have to make up your mind immediately if you really want it, and then you take care of business.

I like it.

Deertick
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Scott, I think that may play into it. I just sold 3 more today, including one within 7 minutes of posting! I haven't sold any cards listed today...yet. :)

Teamsets4u
04-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Do they still charge a premium for 1 day listings?

No, they only charge extra for the 10 day listing.

Runscott
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Scott, I think that may play into it. I just sold 3 more today, including one within 7 minutes of posting! I haven't sold any cards listed today...yet. :)

Jim, I'm going to try the same thing tonight with a pile of lower-grade OBAKs. We'll see if I have the same good luck that you did.

collectbaseball
04-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Do you make an auction with an added buy it now price? Or do you start it with a bid close to what you were asking with the original buy it now?

Deertick
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Do you make an auction with an added buy it now price? Or do you start it with a bid close to what you were asking with the original buy it now?

Auction with BIN, starting price 10% below. Most have sold BIN, which have been listed several times at the same price. A few I have bumped up the starting bid to the previous BIN and I got more than I was asking a few days before!

slidekellyslide
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Starting tomorrow I get 2500 free listings per month...I'm going to give your idea a try.

D. Bergin
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Auction with BIN, starting price 10% below. Most have sold BIN, which have been listed several times at the same price. A few I have bumped up the starting bid to the previous BIN and I got more than I was asking a few days before!

Ebay just announced a new rule, not sure when it will be implemented. BIN must be at least 30% higher then an auctions starting bid, when used in tandem with each other.

Deertick
05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Ebay just announced a new rule, not sure when it will be implemented. BIN must be at least 30% higher then an auctions starting bid, when used in tandem with each other.

Must have gone into effect today. I guess you have to choose between bumping up the BIN, or lowering your min bid. I liked the 10% because a buyer knows a bid or two and they may pay more, so they pull the trigger.

jimm
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Tryed to do a re-list, no one day option on mobile, will try from home