PDA

View Full Version : HOFers high schools

DaveW
04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
My son played in a volleyball tournament yesterday at Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory High School (that's a mouthful!) in San Francisco. Between matches, I was wandering the halls and I came across 3 big plaques honoring some notable alumni. They were Joe Cronin, Harry Heilmann and Dolph Camilli. Three pre-war league MVPs and 2 HOFers from the same high school. It got me to wondering if there are any other high schools that produced 2 or more HOFers? Lets keep it to just pre-war players.
Anybody know?

RGold
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Joe DiMaggio and Tony Lazzeri from Galileo High in San Francisco. Plus O.J. Simpson. :eek::eek::eek:

Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola(Is he in for broadcasting?) from St. Mary's High in St. Louis. :D:D:D

I seem to remember Ozzie Smith and Eddie Murray being high school teammates.

packs
04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Bill Russell and Frank Robinson were on the same McClymonds High basketball team in Oakland.

mets41
04-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Joe G. is in the HOF for broadcasters.

itjclarke
04-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Serra HS in San Mateo is pretty impressive-
Not HOF, but baseball alumns are Barry Bonds, Greg Jeffries, Jim Fregrosi, and several more less note able.
Football- Lynn Swann, Tommy Brady

Encinal in Alemeda had Willie Stargell and now Jimmy Rollins.. Also the D Train, who seemed to be on a HOF path for a few years. Also JR Rider of NBA dunk contest lore.

Sean
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Donora High School in Donora, PA produced Stan Musial, Ken Griffey Sr. and Joe Montana.But not Ken Griffey Jr.
Junior attended Moeller in Cincinnati, a few years after Barry Larkin.

DaveW
04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
So for pre-war baseball HOFers, we just have 2 San Francisco high schools so far -Sacred Heart and Galileo. There must ba a few East Coast high schools with multiple HOFers.

howard38
04-28-2013, 02:32 PM
/

DaveW
04-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Good one Howard!
I found another one. Walter Johnson and Arky Vaughan both went to Fullerton HS in California.

novakjr
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
The Waners probably went to the same high school.

Incorrect. Different high schools.

Frank Chance and Tom Seaver both went to Fresno High School though..

Frank Robinson and Ernie Lombardi both went to McLymonds.

Coincidentally all 6 High Schools with multiple MLB HOFers are/were in CA..

itjclarke
04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Incorrect. Different high schools.

Frank Chance and Tom Seaver both went to Fresno High School though..

Frank Robinson and Ernie Lombardi both went to McLymonds.

Coincidentally all 6 High Schools with multiple MLB HOFers are/were in CA..

CA.. And N CA (Bay Area) HS's produced some pretty amazing during the pre-war and into the '60's/'70's.. Off the top of my head, and from my phone-

HOF
Joe Cronin
Harry Heilman
Lefty Gomez
Joe DiMaggio
Tony Lazerri
Joe Morgan
Willie Stargell
Frank Robinson
Rickey Henderson
Randy Johnson (future)

Stars/solid ML careers
Hal Chase
Duffy Lewis
Lefty O Doul
Frank Crosetti
Billy Martin
Curt Flood
Dave Henderson
Carney Lansford
Dave Righetti
Dave Stewart
Willie McGee

80's to now
Scott Erickson
Dontrelle Willis
Eric Byrnes
Jimmy Rollins
Darren Lewis
Pat Burrell
CC Sabathia

SF city baseball has really gone downhill since the '80's.. Largely due to changing demographics and underfunded public schools and parks. It's sad and hopefully turns back around soon.

I think SF Bay Area high schools have produced more big leaguers per capita than any other metro area in the US.

I'll add more/check HS's when I get home to see if we have any more 2x HOF schools

honus94566
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Add Randy Johnson to that Bay Area list (Livermore HS)... I could have played against him if I were about 10 years older... Yikes! Glad I didn't have to be in the batters box with the big unit staring me down.

(Edit: Oops, just saw you did have him on the list, just missed it)

talkinbaseball
04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Bobby Layne & The "Doaker" Doak Walker both went to the same High School.
They are both in the Canton Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

john-

itjclarke
04-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Add Randy Johnson to that Bay Area list (Livermore HS)... I could have played against him if I were about 10 years older... Yikes! Glad I didn't have to be in the batters box with the big unit staring me down.

I had Johnson on there (though I may be stretching by claiming Livermore). I know I'm missing dozens of other. I crossed over in the mid-90's with T Brady, but in football. That was a pretty good era though.. E Byrnes/J Gall both MLBers from St Francis HS, Pat Burrell was leading Bellermine to a #1 ranking in USA today (eventually lost to St Francis in championship game).. Then J Roll, CC were all playing in the East Bay.

Adding another HOFer Harry Hooper- Bell Station CA and St Mary's College (with Duffy Lewis.. And I think Chase right?)

chris6net
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Erasmaus Hall in Brooklyn has a HOFER in 3 sports
Sid Luckman
Waite Hoyt
Billy Cunningham
if chess has a HOF-Bobby Fischer as well as Neil Diamond Barbra Streisand and countless other famous alum

honus94566
04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Livermore's definetely bay area... just a 20 minute drive over the hill from oakland!

tedzan
04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Duke Snider and Pete Rozelle graduated Compton HS (CA) in 1944.

TED Z
__________________________________________________ _____________________
LOOKING FOR these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set

AMES....CAMNITZ....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (port)....JORDAN (bat)....MARQUARD
McGRAW (port-cap).....McQUILLAN (bat).....TINKER (bat off).....WILTSE (port-cap)

itjclarke
04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Livermore's definetely bay area... just a 20 minute drive over the hill from oakland!

Done.. we're fellow Bay Areans! We'll draw the line at the Altamont Pass. I wish I could claim down into the central coast- Salinas/Monterey/SLO/Santa Maria and east to Woodland/Sac area... lots of good ball players have come out of those areas too.

Adding-
Vada Pinson- McClymonds
Dom/Vince Dimaggio- Galileo
Jackie Jensen and Cookie Lavaggeto- Oakland Tech (same as Rickey)

oaks1912
04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Don't forget Dennis Eckersley graduated high school in Fremont... Joe Dimaggio did not graduate high school, and while some sources indicate he 'attended' Gallileo, friends of his said it was more like 'he appeared on campus grounds a few times"

itjclarke
04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Don't forget Dennis Eckersley graduated high school in Fremont... Joe Dimaggio did not graduate high school, and while some sources indicate he 'attended' Gallileo, friends of his said it was more like 'he appeared on campus grounds a few times"

Can't imagine Joe D being very studius. Dom looks like he was the brains in the family... though maybe the glasses were just a ploy?

Wow, didn't even realize Eck was a local too. I never fully appreciated how home grown those late 80's A's were.. specically '89

LF Rickey (HOF)- Oakland Tech- Oakland
CF Dave Henderson (former AS)- Dos Palos (Central Valley)
3B Carney Lansford (AS and batting champ)- Wilcox HS- San Jose, CA
SP Dave Stewart (staff ace, '89 AS game starter)- St Elizabeth HS, Oakland
RP Dennis Eckersley (AS, HOF closer)- Washington, Fremont, CA

... stretching out a little further, Big Mac (La Verne then USC) and Mike Gallego (Santa Fe Springs then UCLA) were So Cal boys... as was the Billy Beane (Mt Carmel HS in San Diego) who played briefly with that team.

Another local guy I forgot... Tulo! Troy Tulowitski- Fremont High, Sunnyvale.

travrosty
04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Hall_High_School

erasmus alumni is unbelievable,

autograf
04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
The high school I started at in Louisville has Wes Unseld (NBA Bullets) and Diane Sawyer (ABC) as alumni and the one I finished at has Muhammad Ali and Greg Page (both world heavyweight champs) as alumni....but no BB guys.....

The one my 17 year old goes to now had Pee Wee Reese....