PDA

View Full Version : Beadle's Guides

aelefson
04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the 1867 Beadle's Base Ball guide pictured below, and I had some questions regarding it and the series. Is there a good method to store this book? It is intact, but obviously has some condition issues. I currently have it in a plastic comic book type bag with a piece of cardboard behind it. I am thinking of removing it, and placing it directly in a 8 by 10 size page and placing it at the top of my pre 1880 binder, which I store horizontally.
Are the most difficult years to find the earliest ones? I would love to see more so please post one if you have one! I really like the ad for Peck's base ball emporuim.

Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

ksfarmboy
04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
That's pretty cool Alan. I might have seen one or two but don't really follow them. Another guide that I have which is quite similar is the Dewitt's guide. I'm really surprised at how affordable these are. I acquired this several years back. In the back are cool depictions of equipment with hand tinted pictures of socks and uniforms.

aelefson
04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks Clint! I like the Dewitt as well and am hoping I can find one in my price range (cheap). Yours looks to be really nice condition. How do you store it?

Alan

ksfarmboy
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
I've had mine in a plastic sleeve type holder. It's been in there several years now with no problems.

aelefson
05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks Clint! I think I will store mine in a plastic cleeve inside a binder sheet. Does anyone else have any early guides to post? I really like mine but would also love to find one from the early 1860s (hopefully at a flea market).

Alan