PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a separate trading area?

Leon
04-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Ok, let's get a consensus. A separate trading area has been suggested and was already being considered when Eric P (Hi Eric P) just mentioned it again.

Eric72
04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Ok, let's get a consensus. A separate trading area has been suggested and was already being considered when Eric P (Hi Eric P) just mentioned it again.

Hi Leon:)

Thanks for posting this thread/poll. It should be interesting to see how the voting goes.

Have a great morning.

Best Regards,

Eric

g_vezina_c55
04-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I vote yes.
I think it is a great idea.

Matthew H
04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Yes, I would also like to see a separate BST section for listings that don't include a price :)

auggiedoggy
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't do a lot of trades but I do like the idea put forward.

sbfinley
04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I voted yes, but that does not necessarily mean that such section is warranted. I cannot think of a single time I've traded here or on another site (although I have at shows before). So many collectors here are niche and specialized collectors that it is often difficult to find someone who is both looking for what you are unloading and willing to part with what you are searching for. Also, what would become of threads for items that you were willing to sell or trade? Would it still be OK to list it in one section or would we need to start two separate threads?

conor912
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I voted yes, but that does not necessarily mean that such section is warranted. I cannot think of a single time I've traded here or on another site (although I have at shows before). So many collectors here are niche and specialized collectors that it is often difficult to find someone who is both looking for what you are unloading and willing to part with what you are searching for. Also, what would become of threads for items that you were willing to sell or trade? Would it still be OK to list it in one section or would we need to start two separate threads?

+1

jp1216
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't like the idea - just another place to look.
As long as sellers/traders put (FS: FT: WTS: WTT: etc) in the title.

kkkkandp
04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
I agree with Jon. We already have a place for trades. Why do we need another one?

AMBST95
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I voted maybe. Our current forum already has an area for items for trade. No need for its own place separate from buy and sell.

DaveW
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't think we need a separate area for trades, the BST is fine. I wouldn't mind seeing a separate area (or zone, if you get my drift) for guys to post about every card they buy - preferably way off the main page.

DeanH3
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I think it's a good idea. While I have not had any trades I think adding another option won't hurt.

hangman62
04-23-2013, 12:25 PM
I also like the idea,..even if its as simple as a place where guys scan in cards that they'd like to trade.....I think before long there would be hundreds of cards posted...and it could stir up a lot of action

Ralph G

T206Collector
04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Think about how hard it is to find what you are looking for on Net54. Then think about this -- when it finally becomes available, all you have to pay for it is something else. The odds of there being a fit there is probably pretty remote.

Trading works best when you have two collectors sitting across the table from each other looking at each other's collections. Not, when you post one thing available, and seek a specific thing in return.

Just my two cents.

04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Has there ever been any trading at the Net54 dinner? I've only been to the last two.

bcbgcbrcb
04-23-2013, 01:15 PM
I would rather not see it

rainier2004
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't like the idea - just another place to look.
As long as sellers/traders put (FS: FT: WTS: WTT: etc) in the title.

This is where I sit as well.

Jaybird
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Although I do trades on the board on a semi-regular basis, I'm not sure a trading area would work well for me. I wonder if it gets cluttered with things that I'm not looking for 1988 Donruss, etc. and I don't think I would wade past the first page to see if there is something of interest.

If there's something on the BST of interest, nothing is stopping anyone from offering a trade even if that item is for sale for a cash price. So, in essence, everything is open for trade. Either for a trade of cash or if you can entice them with a card that they want.

I don't see a need for a separate area which would get cluttered due to no delineation of category type.

Leon
04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Has there ever been any trading at the Net54 dinner? I've only been to the last two.

Not that I am aware of. I would help facilitate it if the idea grew legs. For me, I am into heavy drinking that night so don't think trading is in me....but if others wanted to, more power to them. I could definitely get one round table reserved for card trading....but generally I think the show is where that could take place.

And it doesn't look like this idea will have overwhelming support for it. With 12 precincts reporting it looks as though things will probably stay as they are.

T205 GB
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Would rather have a separate area for T206's than a trade area bombarded by BS that rarely gets traded but will have a price just incase the trade is to absurd.

Looking to trade X for Y, or trade X for $420:D

Whats so hard about adding it to your BST post already?

JMO

WillowGrove
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
This is where I sit as well.

Me too. Not that it's a bad thing but why have to post and look in two places.

ValKehl
04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Would rather have a separate area for T206's than a trade area ...

+1

markf31
04-24-2013, 05:44 AM
I voted maybe. Our current forum already has an area for items for trade. No need for its own place separate from buy and sell.

+1

Agreed

ullmandds
04-24-2013, 05:46 AM
I also would rather see a separate t206 for sale section as opposed to a separate trading section.

mrvster
04-24-2013, 06:28 AM
in my dreaming Johnny world:)

nolemmings
04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
For me, I am into heavy drinking that night so don't think trading is in me....

Ah Leon don't be so sure. Tell you what, you bring those E221s with you and I'll bring a bottle of your favorite distilled/fermented beverage and/or a case of amber-colored friends. I'm certain that after a couple of hours we will have worked out something to our mutual satisfaction.;)

Leon
04-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Ah Leon don't be so sure. Tell you what, you bring those E221s with you and I'll bring a bottle of your favorite distilled/fermented beverage and/or a case of amber-colored friends. I'm certain that after a couple of hours we will have worked out something to our mutual satisfaction.;)

Hey Todd
These are ugly cards. More of what I collect that is rare with not too much demand. But I do like them, and this purple one is uniquely known, according to Macrae, so it's truly rare. I would have to be quite inebriated to let them go.

Back to subject. I am looking at adding a T206 BST section. I personally don't think it's needed but I am seriously considering it today. The trade only area is already covered in the other areas, respectively.

And Johnny, a scraps area......not sure there is enough supply to make it warranted. How about a double name T206 area? There might be enough of those?

Mrc32
04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
I also would rather see a separate t206 for sale section as opposed to a separate trading section.

I agree with this as well.

jimivintage
04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Back to subject. I am looking at adding a T206 BST section. I personally don't think it's needed but I am seriously considering it today. The trade only area is already covered in the other areas, respectively.

Leon,

I'd still like to see the 1920 - 1949 section and 1950 - 1979 section split differently to divide up prewar and postwar perhaps making it 1920 - 1947 and 1948 - 1979 in order to make those unloading their Bowman cards easier to place in one area rather than two....plus it just seems to make sense to me. Perhaps when adding a t206 section (which I totally agree with!), this can also be taken into consideration.

Great job running this great site as always, my friend!

Jimi

Leon
04-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Leon,

I'd still like to see the 1920 - 1949 section and 1950 - 1979 section split differently to divide up prewar and postwar perhaps making it 1920 - 1947 and 1948 - 1979 in order to make those unloading their Bowman cards easier to place in one area rather than two....plus it just seems to make sense to me. Perhaps when adding a t206 section (which I totally agree with!), this can also be taken into consideration.

Great job running this great site as always, my friend!

Jimi

Thanks for the kind words Jimi. Besides the few polls we have taken to get members thoughts, the main and overriding thing I like at to make the decision to subdivide, is the activity and number of threads in each area. That is what I have looked at from day 1 and is the main thing I take into account. There is no way any other area gets enough activity to be split up, imo, besides the T cards. When I look down the page of each of those BST areas I look for the date on each thread. When I went to the T card section today there were only 2 new days represented from all of the threads. When I look at any other section there are at least 5 days represented (as when a thread was last posted in). I really don't want to make another section because there are so many but I make make an exception for the T206s. I don't see other areas I can do away with as they all get activity. The subdivisions of each area, while not perfect for every instance, are fairly representative of the way we collect. There has been quite a bit of thought given to our BST areas because they are so active. They are the most active part of the board. It's sort of funny when you look back 10 yrs ago and we had A thread on the front page for ALL BST transactions. We could always go back to that :)>

jimivintage
04-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words Jimi. Besides the few polls we have taken to get members thoughts, the main and overriding thing I like at to make the decision to subdivide, is the activity and number of threads in each area. That is what I have looked at from day 1 and is the main thing I take into account. There is no way any other area gets enough activity to be split up, imo, besides the T cards. When I look down the page of each of those BST areas I look for the date on each thread. When I went to the T card section today there were only 2 new days represented from all of the threads. When I look at any other section there are at least 5 days represented (as when a thread was last posted in). I really don't want to make another section because there are so many but I make make an exception for the T206s. I don't see other areas I can do away with as they all get activity. The subdivisions of each area, while not perfect for every instance, are fairly representative of the way we collect. There has been quite a bit of thought given to our BST areas because they are so active. They are the most active part of the board. It's sort of funny when you look back 10 yrs ago and we had A thread on the front page for ALL BST transactions. We could always go back to that :)>

Leon,
What I'm suggesting is NOT adding anymore sections. I'm just suggesting changing the dates to say 1920 - 1947 and the other one to say 1948 - 1979, that way it's split correctly between prewar and postwar. If I'm reading your reply correctly, it seems to suggest that you are thinking I might mean to start new sections. That's just not the case.

Jimi

Leon
04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Leon,
What I'm suggesting is NOT adding anymore sections. I'm just suggesting changing the dates to say 1920 - 1947 and the other one to say 1948 - 1979, that way it's split correctly between prewar and postwar. If I'm reading your reply correctly, it seems to suggest that you are thinking I might mean to start new sections. That's just not the case.

Jimi

Hey Jimi
I was sort of answering a few questions but did not think you were asking for another section, but as you stated, changing what is there. In order for change to be warranted I think the issue needs to be overwhelming in essence. I don't think this issue of a couple years rises to that. If we really wanted to be technically pre-war then it would be 1920-1938 then 1939 to 1945 (war) and 1946- xx for post war. I just don't see enough need to change it. I do appreciate your (and all members) input and am always open to discussions.
The T206 issue I am just tired of hearing about. :)

jimivintage
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey Jimi
I was sort of answering a few questions but did not think you were asking for another section, but as you stated, changing what is there. In order for change to be warranted I think the issue needs to be overwhelming in essence. I don't think this issue of a couple years rises to that. If we really wanted to be technically pre-war then it would be 1920-1938 then 1939 to 1945 (war) and 1946- xx for post war. I just don't see enough need to change it. I do appreciate your (and all members) input and am always open to discussions.
The T206 issue I am just tired of hearing about. :)

OK, fair enough. And, yes, I realize my years are off on prewar and postwar. LOL Perhaps I should have said something to the effect of what many collectors would consider as the cutoff point for modern versus vintage, but that's a whole other debate. :)

frankbmd
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Sometimes we trade for cards and

sometimes we trade for cash.

Sometimes we trade for both.

B/S/T is fine the way it is IMO.;)

Leon
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Sometimes we trade for cards and

sometimes we trade for cash.

Sometimes we trade for both.

B/S/T is fine the way it is IMO.;)

Agreed but what is your thought on separating out the T206s from the T section?

hangman62
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I dont think the BST section is " the same" as a seperate "trade" section.
The BST gets clogged up with way too many things other then trading.

I still feel a " trading corner" would be a great addition...and I also feel it would be very active. Think about it... what member would not " stop by" the trading corner every time they logged on ?...I think almost all would. Even if just to poke their nose in and see what guys have to offer.
I bet a "site visitor counter" would show huge number of lookers.

How many lookers do we get in the " detect card alteration" section ? or the " vintage links" section...Id bet very very few

As far as a Pre war only section.... I dont think its nec.,..but I would say maybe nothing "newer" then 1970. Although is most feel it would be a deal breaker...Id go with seperate sections

frankbmd
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Agreed but what is your thought on separating out the T206s from the T section?

I understand there are at least two camps and I may be moving from one to the other.

But even though my Monster is essentially complete except for a few trivial accessories, I am still interested in T206 upgrades as well as expanding my type collection and whatever set I choose to pursue next (I know how to spell Obak).

As a general rule I think I agree with you, Leon, that continually subdividing the forum to satisfy everyone's whims is not a good idea. I could live with splitting off the T206s, but card lists for sale or trade frequently involve a mixed bag of 206s and other cards, so

my final answer would be not to change the current configuration.

Footnote: My 77 BST deals have involved 21 purchases, 41 sales, 11 trades & 4 trades involving cash as well.

hangman62
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
I think the statement " continually subdividing the forums" is a bit of a stretch ..?....how many times has that been done ? twice..three times maybe ?

For a collector like Frank..who has already knocked out the classic T 206 set..and like he said.." maybe looking for upgrades"... honestly..I don't think your going to find them in any little " trading corner forum". I doubt there will be many Obaks, O.J.'s, or CJ's either.

But why put a pin in the balloon,...let the 1930's,40s',50s.60s collectors enjoy it and possibly benefit from it

Further, If any member feels they will hardly use the section....well then what are they worried about ?....Don't click on that icon

brob28
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM
If there was a Trade section I'd use it but the BST works fine for me. I feel the same way about a separate T206 Trade section, would use it but not a big deal to me. Thanks for a great site Leon!

Leon
04-24-2013, 02:46 PM
I think the statement " continually subdividing the forums" is a bit of a stretch ..?....how many times has that been done ? twice..three times maybe ?

For a collector like Frank..who has already knocked out the classic T 206 set..and like he said.." maybe looking for upgrades"... honestly..I don't think your going to find them in any little " trading corner forum". I doubt there will be many Obaks, O.J.'s, or CJ's either.

But why put a pin in the balloon,...let the 1930's,40s',50s.60s collectors enjoy it and possibly benefit from it

Further, If any member feels they will hardly use the section....well then what are they worried about ?....Don't click on that icon

It's not how many times they have been divided that is an issue to me, it's how many of them there are. There are 11 areas now. I am leaning towards that being all but am contemplating the T206 specific one. My sole reasoning is clicking on each forum to see how many new threads, and ones responded to, are on the first page. If there are only 2-3 days represented of the 40 threads, then that is a lot. That means a thread that is only 2 -3 days old is already rolling to the second page where it gets fewer views. In most of the BST areas it is 5-10 days on the front page. That really is my sole decision making on it. And it has to do, for me, with the "need" for breaking a section up that is too active. It's really that simple.