PDA

View Full Version : My step-daughter and Relay for Life!

tlwise12
04-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey everybody! My name is Travis and I have been a part of the net54 community for roughly 5 years. I have dealt with many of you guys and i appreciate all the help that you have given me in building my collection. Now, I am hoping for support from you all in a different manner.

I chose to fight cancer for my three-year-old step daughter. Abrielle was diagnosed with Acute Lympoblastic Leukemia October 30, 2012 at UK Children's Hospital. Abrielle was sick for a while going to the doctor 6-8 times for a simple cough since mid-August 2012 and she never got better. After developing pneumonia in both lungs and becoming severely anemic, we were admitted to the hospital. There doctors found her cancer and began treatment, she began her fight against leukemia. We began chemo-therapy treatments October 30, 2012, had her first surgery to insert her port "Charlie" on Halloween and since she has had several chemo-therapy treatments and other medicines, five blood transfusions and two platelett transfusions. We will continue treatments very aggressively over the next several months to receive chemo-therapy, among other medications and then depending on what her body needs extend chemo-therapy and anything else needed over the next two years. Abrielle was initially hospitalized for 11 days, we have had three hospital stays since then that lasted anywhere from one night to four nights at a time. Her diagnosis Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is generally very treatable with modern medicines and aggressive cancer treatments. As of December 3, results from the bone marrow biopsy on Wednesday November 28th show that she is considered in Remission due to the small percentage of Leukemic Cells found. We felt so lucky to celebrate her 3rd birthday, December 28th, because without research and modern medicines we wouldn't have such a luxury. We continue to treat remaining cells and do preventative care so Abi won't relapse. Her odds look fantastic right now, but it will continue to be a long road for Abrielle and our family.

Since we've begun our fight, we've began participating and getting involved with non-profit and charity organizations that help those with their fight with cancer, one of those being The American Cancer Society Relay For Life program. My family and I will be participating on June 14th, in Nicholasville, KY and would appreciate your support to raise money for the American Cancer Society to aid in funding lifesaving research, services to cancer patients in need (such as transportation to treatments, emotional support to families), helping uninsured, underinsured or low-income families getting treatments, cancer screening tests and follow-up treatments. We are underway towards our success story, and want to help provide the same outcome for others and their families. Thank you so much for any and all support.

For more information on Abrielle, photos of Abi and her progress:
lacy-proctor5.wix.com/Abriellemarie

To make a donation towards our team:
https://secure.acsevents.org/site/Donation2?idb=1234166174&df_id=1010549&FR_ID=51265&PROXY_ID=31525899&1010549.donation=form1&PROXY_TYPE=20

joeadcock
04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Travis

The site you give to access your daughter Abrielle for some reason is not working. Would like to find more info. Can you change it or alter it?

oldjudge
04-21-2013, 05:55 PM
The donation link worked for me. Travis is a great guy and I am so happy that his daughter is doing better. Please join me in contributing to this worthy event.

tlwise12
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
I just updated the link. It should work now, but it does take a moment to load. Sometimes it works better if you refresh it.

RCMcKenzie
04-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear it's in remission and good luck to a worthy cause.

Eric72
04-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Travis,

I was diagnosed with this disease as a teeneger and spent a little more than two years receiving chemo. The prognosis was not so good back then; however, I was fortunate enough to survive the journey and come out the other side a much stronger person.

As an adult, I have always supported worthy nonprofit organizations and the ACS is no exception. Rest assured that a donation to Abrielle's fundraising team will be forthcoming.

If there is anything else I can to to be of help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Eric

tlwise12
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks to those who have donated and shown support!

Eric, I really appreciate the kind words and your offer to help.

deadballfreaK
04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
What a sweetheart! My best wishes for her and your family.

Eric72
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks to those who have donated and shown support!

Eric, I really appreciate the kind words and your offer to help.

Travis - donation made. And I am happy to help.

Board members - please follow suit and help out with this, if you can. Relay for Life of Jessamine County has only raised around $13,000 so far. We can make a difference.

Sorry if anyone is put off by my overly eager support of this fundraising endeavor. Being a cancer survivor who also happens to work for a nonprofit organization, I understand a few of the dynamics involved here and want to help in any way that I can.

Best regards to everyone.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Eric

Matthew H
04-21-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree, Travis is a great guy and his daughter looks like a sweetheart. Travis, I will be helping out as soon as I can get home to my computer.

tlwise12
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I want to thank everyone for the support and kind words! If anyone has questions feel free to email me at tlwise12@aol.com

Leon
04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Good luck Travis. Donation made.....My prayers are with your stepdaughter.

cliftons8
04-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Good Luck

tlwise12
04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Just an update! To this point, you all have donated almost $300!! Thanks guys!

oldjudge
04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Bump for Travis--we can do better!

ethicsprof
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm so happy to know that your step-daughter is doing so much better.
I certainly will send a donation supporting your family and this great cause.

You have been one of my favorite folks to buy cards from over the years
and must underscore what a great fellow you obviously are.
And a scholar, as well---nearing the completion of a doctorate in psychology
is no easy task!!

my prayers go out to you and your family,
Barry

Eric72
04-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Another friendly bump.

tlwise12
05-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Bump! Around a month until our relay for life event!!!

Travis