PDA

View Full Version : There has to be a better solution

SMPEP
04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Perhaps I'm the only one ... but I'm getting annoyed by the increasing number of auction houses and the information they require to register. You don't need my social secrity number (I'm talking to your Heritage!) to ensure that I'll pay if I win. You don't need to know what other auctions sites I bid on (that's none of your business). You don't need my phone number (I don't want you to call me!). You only need my name, address, and a credit card to charge. That ensures I'll pay.

And with all of these different auction houses you have to remember login names (or numbers) and passwords (how many digits, upper case, numbers, character requirements, etc.) for 20? 30? Heck how many new auction houses are there? At this point, I'm not even sure I know who I'm a member of or not.

This is just is a poorly designed system.

Can't someone create one registration site (say on Net 54?) for ALL of these auction houses? Create one ID and one password, which allows you to use all of the auction houses. [Yes, I know we get a couple of squirrels around here, but for the most part if you're on this board, you're going to pay for the cards you win. And you're not going to be shilling your items - because you know someone around here will catch you!]

And making it easier for folks to bid would result in more bids for auction houses.

Anyone have a smart solution for creating something like this? Any auction owners on here want to take the lead? Net 54? Somebody?

Cheers,
Patrick

Exhibitman
04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Well, they need your phone number in case something happens with one of your bids or consignments and your email is down. I've never been cold-called by an AH, so I don't think that is a realistic concern that they would abuse a phone #, but if you are concerned give them your work #, which is what I do. I agree there is absolutely no reason for collecting a SSN, DL # or other significant ID number. If you call someone there they will waive that for you.

markf31
04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
While I agree about your concern with having to provide a SS number for registration, having to provide a phone number and other hobby/auction references is as much for your own protection as it is for the protection of the other bidders and consignors. Having a name, address and credit card on file does not guarantee you'll pay at all. You can easily cancel the credit card or claim it was lost/stolen and have the bank issue a new one with a new number so you can skip on your obligation to pay and now the AH is unable to process the transaction. This is why most AHs do not accept credit cards, they only use them to verify your name and address and require a check, MO, cashier check or money wire. Heritage is an exception and not the rule in that they accept credit cards for payment on auction items.

wonkaticket
04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
"(I'm talking to your Heritage!)"

Leave the Scot/Irish out of this beef with the auction houses. :)

Leon
04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
....And with all of these different auction houses you have to remember login names (or numbers) and passwords (how many digits, upper case, numbers, character requirements, etc.) for 20? 30? Heck how many new auction houses are there? At this point, I'm not even sure I know who I'm a member of or not.

This is just is a poorly designed system.

Can't someone create one registration site (say on Net 54?) for ALL of these auction houses? Create one ID and one password, which allows you to use all of the auction houses. [Yes, I know we get a couple of squirrels around here, but for the most part if you're on this board, you're going to pay for the cards you win. And you're not going to be shilling your items - because you know someone around here will catch you!]

And making it easier for folks to bid would result in more bids for auction houses.

Anyone have a smart solution for creating something like this? Any auction owners on here want to take the lead? Net 54? Somebody?

Cheers,
Patrick

I would imagine there are security issues that prevent a universal system from working. There could also be legal issues. Nice thought. I bid in about a hundred different auctions, I feel your pain.

pawpawdiv9
04-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I got to say. Heritage was the easiest one..i never supplied any info....it worked thru Paypal.

I registered to a few of them.. Hunts, REA, B&L to add....and i never supplied a SS#.
Providing a phone # and email is customary, to buying anything on the internet these days.
They can contact via email, notify you made a bid, when a item is ending, when you got outbidded and etc.

Runscott
04-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Leave the Scot/Irish out of this beef with the auction houses. :)

Too late - Scottie's already read it.

martindl
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Patrick,
You sound old.

You make good points for a new system. Run with it. I for one would appreciate it (I'm old too).

Registration is necessary obviously and having unique id's and passwords makes all the sense in the world. Email and even a cell phone number makes sense nowadays too. ssn is silly. Remember when you used to have hobby references to bid online or by phone? Life is way easier now.

auggiedoggy
04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Patrick,
You sound old.

You make good points for a new system. Run with it. I for one would appreciate it (I'm old too).

Registration is necessary obviously and having unique id's and passwords makes all the sense in the world. Email and even a cell phone number makes sense nowadays too. ssn is silly. Remember when you used to have hobby references to bid online or by phone? Life is way easier now.

Used to have hobby references? Robert Edward Auctions still asks for two hobby references.

Jewish-collector
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Hakes withdraws the money directly from your credit card for any lots you win.

martindl
04-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Used to have hobby references? Robert Edward Auctions still asks for two hobby references.

I didn't know this was still a requirement. I've been with most AH's for so long that it's not come up on my radar, so assumed it was a thing of the past.