PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Bandana in REA

margoaepi
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Was looking at this lot today (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=25724), and it appears to have much smaller printing or be printed much higher up that the one that I won a few years ago (http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2011/1216.html). Could this just have been part of the printing process?

GrayGhost
04-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Some kind of variation? Ask REA why too. if u r concerned

base_ball
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
The images are the same size, the dimensions of the fabric on the current offering are larger than yours. Great, great 19th century souvenir.

margoaepi
04-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Joe! Nailed it!

thecatspajamas
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Looks like the overall dimensions are larger on the current one (22"x20") than the one you bought (17"x17"). Maybe that accounts for the difference in placement of the printing, and the printing size difference is a trick of the eye because of the different overall dimensions?

In the first image below, I scaled each image to the stated dimensions and laid them side-by-side so you can see the difference.

In the second image, I tried overlaying one on top of the other (banana on top with 50% opacity) so you can see where the printing lines up on each. I aligned and rotated the centermost player, and let the rest fall where it did based on the photos. Keeping in mind that there can be variations in the apparent print size depending on how much the material is "stretched," they look to be in reasonable tolerances with each other to my eye.

Mind you, this is all just me playing around with Photoshop, and in no way an expert opinion on the authenticity of the items themselves.

margoaepi
04-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Wow Lance. That is some good detective work there!

steve B
04-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I'd guess these were sold as larger unfinished cloth sections. The style of quilts popular at the time often included loads of souvenir ribbons and stuff like that.(And sometimes handpainted pictures as well) Plus the large unfinished square could be made as a bandana, pillowcase, or quilt by whoever bought it.

The edges are sewn differently on both of the ones shown, The large one is folded over and stitched to keep it in place, while the small one is also stitched along the fold. That makes me think thy were sewn by different people.

Steve B
My wife is into old quilts, and there's a museum and huge show in town. Haven't gotten one with B-18s yet, but someday....