PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying postcard

pmic
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
A researcher has asked for our help to identify the team and/or player on this postcard. I've learned from other threads and sources that CyKo postcard stock was available from ca. 1905-1920s, but I haven't had any luck identifying the logo.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/pmic23/IMG_zpse8e49efd.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/pmic23/IMG_0002_zps52d146a6.jpg

Thanks,

-Phil Michel
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division.

Eric72
04-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Phil,

This appears to be a real photo postcard. Other than that, I really can't add much. Sorry.

Good luck tracking down the information you seek.

Best Regards,

Eric

pariah1107
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Instead of photo identification of the team/player it may be easier to track from the "researcher" side. Start with current owners acquisition:

1) Where did he/she find the postcard? Was it purchased from ebay/craigslist or an unrelated source? If so, what was the address of the seller? This should help narrow the area of focus.
2) Or, was the PC from a family collection? If so, what was their name (not necessarily a relative of the player, but a former teammate/classmate), and where were they from?
3) Since this is not an immediately, recognizable, professional or minor league team is it possible the PC is of a high school/college player? Honestly thought "masonic lodge" team when I first saw the logo.

Not saying impossible, but without more information it will be difficult. Really a needle in a haystack.

ctownboy
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Is that a "W" inside a tree outline? If so, wouldn't that be something probably related to the state of Washington and maybe the timber industry?

David

Eric72
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
My eyes see a "W" within a triangle, with what appear to be some sort of "ribbon" style design protruding from at least one (if not all three) straight lines. Nice logo, in my opinion.

David could be right, too. Where I see ribbons, others may notice what I did not. If we had something to connect this card to a particular region, it would be quite helpful.

Phil, I am happy to put forth some effort trying to help with this. I imagine some other board members will, too.

Ty offered a few sound suggestions above. I was wondering...how did the Library of Congress acquire this image? The answer to that may help move this query closer to an answer.

Best Regards,

Eric

pmic
04-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Ty, Eric: A bit more info -

The Library hasn't acquired this postcard, we were only asked by the researcher to help identify the card. This reference librarian that received the request says the owner is in the Chicago area, but I'm not sure if we know that the card was found there or held by a family there. I'll see if we can learn more about its provenance.

-Phil