PDA

View Full Version : O/T - Explosions at the Boston Marathon

canjond
04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Thoughts and prayers with all at the Boston Marathon today.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Leon
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Thoughts and prayers with all at the Boston Marathon today.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Just seeing this on the news. Yes, thoughts and prayers to the victims, family and friends. It's awful.....Will be hopeful they find the culprits.

Cardboard Junkie
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
My nephew Kevin Pierson was in this race....no word yet. My brother and some of his family went as spectators. I'm worried.

itjclarke
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Hearing several other bombs, at different locations in Boston have been found/disarmed. Terrible event.. makes me very angry

Jason
04-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent to all affected.

z28jd
04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
My cousin was in the race, not far from finishing when it happened. Was pretty close to the second explosion when it happened. His wife heard from him pretty quickly and he is fine, but knowing him, he was probably helping people right away. Will find out more later

Just to show how close he was, at 2:47 he was at the 40k mark and the race is 42.2k. Basically he was 1.4 miles from the finish about 5 minutes before it happened according to the race tracker and the second one was a couple blocks before the finish. So not sure how far he was but he was definitely within a mile

gnaz01
04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Prayers and thoughts to all!!

7nohitter
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Reportedly other devices found along the route...police have disarmed...

g_vezina_c55
04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
I just saw that news....
i was in boston saturday ... oufff...
terrible event.

cyseymour
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Writing from Boston.... people are pretty stressed out down here, but hopefully that is the end of the bombs... we'll see. Very tragic. My heart goes out to the families and victims. I did know some people who were waiting at the finish line, but they are okay.

There are some sick people out there, but what are you going to do?

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 04:05 PM
My nephew Kevin Pierson was in this race....no word yet. My brother and some of his family went as spectators. I'm worried.

My brother was there to watch his wife run the marathon they are all ok plus others I know who were there are safe as well! I hope and pray for the same results for you!

Cardboard Junkie
04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
My family is all safe. Now I wonder who our government will "fix" the blame on this time. (sorry don't mean to get political). dave.

BengoughingForAwhile
04-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Ridiculous. I have run this race a couple of times, I know exactly where these bombs went off. There is no greater thrill for a marathon runner than to run the final stretch down Boyleston St. towards the finish line at the Boston Marathon. A running buddy of mine was running today and was 50 feet from the first blast when it went off. Luckily he was in the middle of the road and okay. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
My family is all safe. Now I wonder who our government will "fix" the blame on this time. (sorry don't mean to get political). dave.

Glad to hear all your loved ones are safe! Crazy stuff, now a days you don`t know whether it`s foreign or domestic terror attacks!

deadballfreaK
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
I am literally sick to my stomach. The scum who did this is/are pathetic cowards. Find 'em, convict 'em, put 'em to death.

itjclarke
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Glad to hear all your loved ones are safe! Crazy stuff, now a days you don`t know whether it`s foreign or domestic terror attacks!

Scary in that I think "foreign" attacks will more often than not be carried out by domestic/US citizens that have been recruited or influenced by foreign terror organizations, like the Ft Hood shootings. That said, no idea who did this, but I'd suspect there will be a claim(s) pretty soon.

sycks22
04-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all. Super sad.

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 04:39 PM
CNN just reporting one victim was an 8 year old child too sad for words. I`m so angry right now! Senseless violence what do these A-hole terrorists expect to accomplish by this?Whatever their issues are this will not help to solve them!
I have to turn off the tv and step away from my computer right now! Getting sensory overload. Parents hug your kids you never know what tomorrow brings! :(

itjclarke
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
one victim was an 8 year old child too sad for words. I`m so angry right now! Senseless violence what do these A-hole terrorists expect to accomplish by this?Whatever their issues are this will not help to solve them!
:(

Completely agree, I feel so much anger right now. And as always, whether it be this attack or a suicide bombing in a Kabul market, it's doubtful anyone killed or maimed had anything to do with the motives, politics or whatever was behind this attack.

Rickyy
04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
:( sighs...this is just horrible...prayers to the victims...

Ricky Y

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Well so much for me stepping away, my brother just called to tell me his family just got home right now safe and sound. He told me he was about a block away from either side of the blasts! I just thank god he didnt get hurt, and feel so bad for others who werent as lucky!

Cardboard Junkie
04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
I fear we, (the people) are the prey of a foul command. Dave.:mad:

cyseymour
04-15-2013, 05:49 PM

That is completely wrong and unpatriotic. First of all, our government would never do such a thing, this is not Syria. Secondly, 80% of Bostonians voted for the current administration, so it makes no sense. Get a grip.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Huh?? Can you explain so I don't misconstrue you?

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Huh?? Can you explain so I don't misconstrue you?

X2

Cardboard Junkie
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
This may be the time, but certainly not the place. Sorry I brought it up. Dave.

calvindog
04-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a cae of workplace violence like the Fort Hood murders.

cyseymour
04-15-2013, 06:17 PM

It is neither the time, nor the place. Try being empathetic to those who died, and their families, or the people who lost limbs in the explosion, instead of chiming in with your inane political ideas.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2013, 06:20 PM

You did bring it up, so have the guts to say what you mean.

Ladder7
04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Again, time to get pissed off America.

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM

As others have said not the time or place, nerves are still raw and emotions are running high. Sympathy for those who have died and are hurt from this should be where the focus is!

We have the rest of what will hopefully be their short lives to hunt these animals down and exterminate them from this Earth!

Cardboard Junkie
04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
You did bring it up, so have the guts to say what you mean.

Hi, I am not very good at getting points across. Never was in a debate club, and most always bowed out when conversations turned political.
This little skit by the late George Carlin sums up my feelings.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
I'm now outta this thread and back to my baseball cards.
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I just would like to see world peace.

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi, I am not very good at getting points across. Never was in a debate club, and most always bowed out when conversations turned political.
This little skit by the late George Carlin sums up my feelings.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

Can`t hold a grudge against a George Carlin fan... were good!

Matthew H
04-15-2013, 07:02 PM
My sons going to be turning eight in a few days here... I can't begin to imagine how this young boy's family feels at the moment. Such a shame... Poor kid :(

yanks12025
04-15-2013, 07:11 PM

World peace is impossible. There will always be some form of violence. But RIP to the 3 that have died.

deadballfreaK
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
My sons going to be turning eight in a few days here... I can't begin to imagine how this young boy's family feels at the moment. Such a shame... Poor kid :(

My best friend lost his daughter at that exact age due to a reckless driver running a stop sign at high speed. I can somewhat imagine because I have watched his and his wife's pain for years. Never heals.

cyseymour
04-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Can`t hold a grudge against a George Carlin fan... we're good!

+1

Bestdj777
04-15-2013, 07:33 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family of those affected be this terrible event. I cannot even the read the news anymore. It breaks my heart to see such senseless hate and violence. I hope that all of our fellow board members are okay.

Chris

itjclarke
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a cae of workplace violence like the Fort Hood murders.

Ft Hood as I remember was a lot more than a case of workplace violence.. It involved direct and repeated contact between the US Army shooter and Yemeni cleric Anwar Al-Alawlaki, who was also involved with the underwear bomber (among other plots), before being killed by a drone strike.

Regardless, I don't want to shift any focus from Boston. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

bbcarddan
04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Ft Hood as I remember was a lot more than a case of workplace violence.. It involved direct and repeated contact between the US Army shooter and Yemeni cleric Anwar Al-Alawlaki, who was also involved with the underwear bomber (among other plots), before being killed by a drone strike.

Regardless, I don't want to shift any focus from Boston. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

On a lighter note the underwear bomber is also known as the ball bag bomber! Sorry I couldn`t resist!

And yes thoughts and prayers should be on the victims at this time!

wolf441
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Just absolutely horrible. I work in the John Hancock Tower and the building shook with the blasts. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those injured and to their families. I left the city, came home and hugged my wife and kids just a little longer tonight.

And thanks to all of the doctors and nurses at Mass General, Tufts, etc. who are in for a long few days.

z28jd
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
My cousin was in the race, not far from finishing when it happened. Was pretty close to the second explosion when it happened. His wife heard from him pretty quickly and he is fine, but knowing him, he was probably helping people right away. Will find out more later

Just to show how close he was, at 2:47 he was at the 40k mark and the race is 42.2k. Basically he was 1.4 miles from the finish about 5 minutes before it happened according to the race tracker and the second one was a couple blocks before the finish. So not sure how far he was but he was definitely within a mile

Finally heard from my cousin and he was .4 miles from the finish when the first blast went off. Very fortunate for him

Eric72
04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
To the victims and their families, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

To the city of Boston, the rest of America has your back...not that you need it, but we're still there for you nonetheless.

To the members of this board, I truly hope this finds you and your loved ones safe and well.

Best Regards,

Eric

Runscott
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't think most people realize the effect that this sort of thing has on marathon runners and their community - we travel all over the United States to run these great races and to meet all the wonderful people in the host cities - there are LOTS of young children on the roadside, smiling, encouraging runners and looking for high-fives. I did a marathon last year where each aid station was manned by a different elementary school - kids everywhere, having fun.

This is tragic beyond words. I won't say anything more until we find out who is responsible, but at that point I look forward to joining back in.

itjclarke
04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't think most people realize the effect that this sort of thing has on marathon runners and their community - we travel all over the United States to run these great races and to meet all the wonderful people in the host cities - there are LOTS of young children on the roadside, smiling, encouraging runners and looking for high-fives.

As a marathoner myself, I'm appauled that this happened at a marathon, and near the finish line at that. Not that it would be any less appauling were it to happen elsewhere... but a marathon is one of the most positive gatherings of people you'll ever find. I usually run alone, but it's amazing how quickly you make friends all along the route. It's amazing the support you feel from the thousands of people and volunteers who come cheer friends and strangers alike.. and there is an amazing buzz of exhaustion/pride/accomplishment/love as you finish that last few hundred yards. I cannot imagine the contrast these people must have felt from one second to the next.. from finishing a marathon to expolosion(s), screams and sirens.

Still incredibly angry.

oldjudge
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
It is sickening to see something like this. My heart goes out to both the victims and their families, and to those who were in the area and now feel just a little less safe in their daily lives. Hopefully, whoever was responsible for this cowardly act will be apprehended quickly and dealt with appropriately.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
As a marathoner myself, I'm appauled that this happened at a marathon, and near the finish line at that. Not that it would be any less appauling were it to happen elsewhere... but a marathon is one of the most positive gatherings of people you'll ever find. I usually run alone, but it's amazing how quickly you make friends all along the route. It's amazing the support you feel from the thousands of people and volunteers who come cheer friends and strangers alike.. and there is an amazing buzz of exhaustion/pride/accomplishment/love as you finish that last few hundred yards. I cannot imagine the contrast these people must have felt from one second to the next.. from finishing a marathon to expolosion(s), screams and sirens.

Still incredibly angry.

Very well put. I ran Boston twice myself, in ancient and more peaceful times, and what I expected to be just a physical challenge turned into a truly spiritual experience from the overwhelming outpouring of support and sense of community. Like everyone else, I am horrified, all the more so as it's so close to home, on a block I've walked or driven down countless times.

ethicsprof
04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
my heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families and to those who are
ministering to their physical and emotional needs. My prayers also go out to
the many who are deeply affected by this tragedy and the continuing violence that plagues this country and others.
Barry

deadballfreaK
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I have never run a marathon but used to run 5 to 10 miles at decent times. Now pushing 59 years of age with terrible knees and feet not so much. I can imagine though. You push yourself as hard as you can and you want to give up but you have people cheering for you that never met you. Or you are on the sidewalk cheering your dad or friend or cousin or whatever. And then BOOM from some retardo that thinks he is making some kind of heroic stand. Yeah, big hero with a noble cause. He can be miles away and kill kids and innocent people. Sure advances your cause. We'll all take notice now. And hopefully in ten years fry your sorry ass in the electric chair. I hope they forget to wet the sponge.

cyseymour
04-15-2013, 10:03 PM
I have never run a marathon but used to run 5 to 10 miles at decent times. Now pushing 59 years of age with terrible knees and feet not so much. I can imagine though. You push yourself as hard as you can and you want to give up but you have people cheering for you that never met you. Or you are on the sidewalk cheering your dad or friend or cousin or whatever. And then BOOM from some retardo that thinks he is making some kind of heroic stand. Yeah, big hero with a noble cause. He can be miles away and kill kids and innocent people. Sure advances your cause. We'll all take notice now. And hopefully in ten years fry your sorry ass in the electric chair. I hope they forget to wet the sponge.

Completely agree, only correction to be made is there's no death penalty in MA, so the electric chair thing is not gonna happen. But hopefully we can find him and make him spend decades going berserk in a jail cell.

Shoele$$
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Now 3 confirmed dead....just a terrible tragedy :(

If I was the father of that 8 year old victim I would be seething.

Iron Horse
04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
my heart and prayers go out to all those whose loved ones were affected by these idiots who have no consideration for anyone. It's a sad world that we live in unfortunately. :(

itjclarke
04-16-2013, 02:09 AM
. It's a sad world that we live in unfortunately. :(

it's a sad world in many ways for sure.. But it does make me feel great pride in this country/us/people in general knowing that several marathon runners who'd just run 26.2, ran another couple miles to the hospital to give blood knowing that people needed transfusions. This is what the attacker(s) will never understand... They aren't helping their cause as much as they're strengthening the resolve of their victims.

These f-ing cowards whoever they be, will never win

howard38
04-16-2013, 06:11 AM

howard38
04-16-2013, 06:58 AM
/

Tobacco&Gum
04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Hug your kids.

h2oya311
04-16-2013, 07:50 AM
My son just turned 11 days old today...we live in the 'burbs of Boston and thankfully all of our close friends and family are safe. What kind of world did I bring my boy into?

This sort of thing will make me fearful to take my son to sporting events w/ large crowds down the road - including baseball games - what a shame!

I had to turn off the TV when seeing some of the gruesome scenes. Sickening, absolutely sickening.

dabigyankeeman
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
So terrible, and the frustrating thing is that realistically you cant stop things like this from happening in the future. At any crowded place, particularly in the open like this where you dont have to walk thru one door where you can be inspected, a person can drop a small bomb and have it go off later. There are some totally sick people out there, and other people have to pay the price for their insanity.

My hearts go out to the injured people, some have lost one or both legs. Incredible. Dont even get me started on the dead people.

As i posted on Facebook, if they ever catch the person/people that did this, they should be kept alive for as long as possible and tortured horribly every day all day long. If thats not civilized, oh well.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts go out to everyone involved from the victims to the first responders. The world is becoming a scary place. Treasure every day you have with your family and friends.

Leon
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
My son just turned 11 days old today...we live in the 'burbs of Boston and thankfully all of our close friends and family are safe. What kind of world did I bring my boy into?

This sort of thing will make me fearful to take my son to sporting events w/ large crowds down the road - including baseball games - what a shame!

I had to turn off the TV when seeing some of the gruesome scenes. Sickening, absolutely sickening.

Your sentiments are shared by many of us. That being said, and we do need to be very careful in what we do, letting the terrorists dictate our actions would be a mistake. Live life and don't let this kind of thing stop you. It's what the idiots that did this want. Just be careful...

..I have had wet eyes more than once since yesterday, in watching this whole scenario. Very, very sad.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Your sentiments are shared by many of us. That being said, and we do need to be very careful in what we do, letting the terrorists dictate our actions would be a mistake. Live life and don't let this kind of thing stop you. It's what the idiots that did this want. Just be careful...

..I have had wet eyes more than once since yesterday, in watching this whole scenario. Very, very sad.

Well said. I was listening to WEEI sports radio this afternoon on my way back home and just felt too overwhelmed. I had to turn it off. I think the best thing is to focus on the positives coming out of the situation, if that's possible. First responders have been outstanding, the media has done a decent job of keeping folks informed, victims are being served by the best medical staff in the world, On my way through Boston via public transit this afternoon there was also healthy police and national guard prescence. Boston will recover and those responsible will be held accountable.

Ladder7
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
In tribute, the Yanks will be playing our otherwise despised anthem Sweet Caroline today. Real class.

Runscott
04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Steve, everyone tries to deal with horrible stuff in their own way. The sorrow for all those affected is immeasurable, as is the anger at those who have violated yet another aspect of our lives.

deadballfreaK
04-16-2013, 02:22 PM
I understand and agree with your sentiment but perhaps you can edit out the word "retardo". Neither my nephew or his special ed classmates could conceive of much less do something like that.

Noted. Very poor choice of words. I generally find mentally challenged people to be the sweetest I've ever met. Let's substitute evil, subhuman scum for "retardo"

midwaylandscaping
04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Awful stuff. Can't imagine being the father of the 8 year old who was killed :(. My anger management is not so good, if they got the suspect, I'd be the one to kill him if I were the Father. It would be my only recourse. Eye for eye.

deadballfreaK
04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Awful stuff. Can't imagine being the father of the 8 year old who was killed :(. My anger management is not so good, if they got the suspect, I'd be the one to kill him if I were the Father. It would be my only recourse. Eye for eye.

If it were my loved one yes I would kill them with my bare hands and gladly take the consequences. I think there is a little girl 7 or 8 that lost a leg. I would do it for her and save her dad the trouble.

itjclarke
04-17-2013, 01:01 AM
I think there is a little girl 7 or 8 that lost a leg. I would do it for her and save her dad the trouble.

As I understand it, she's the sister of the little boy who died and their mother is still in the ICU.

scooter729
04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Breaking news around Boston is that an arrest has been made and the suspect is en route to the courthouse. Let's hope this is an accurate report!

Eric72
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Our local ABC News affiliate indicated that there were conflicting reports, regarding a possible arrest, coming out of Boston. They then reported the following:

- Through viewing surveillance footage, they now have a possible suspect
- That possible suspect has not yet been identified
- There will be a news conference held in Boston, and it is currently scheduled to take place in about two hours (5 p.m. EDT)

Ladder7
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
No arrest, but is "imminent" at 1630hrs.

scooter729
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
If anyone hasn't seen the national anthem from the Boston Bruins game last night, you need to watch this clip. It gave me goosebumps to watch this last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMsagY7oRs

tedzan
04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks for posting the video.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

TED Z

atx840
04-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Listening to the Boston Police scanner for most of the night, sounds like one suspect has been killed and one is still on foot. Intense shoot out with bombs going off. Sounds like a police officer was killed :(

God be with those brave men, women and canines hunting this coward.

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Listening to the Boston Police scanner for most of the night, sounds like one suspect has been killed and one is still on foot. Intense shoot out with bombs going off. Sounds like a police officer was killed :(

God be with those brave men, women and canines hunting this coward.

Switching to CNN now to see if they've got anything on yet.. terrible another good person has died. Thanks posting the update though.

Matthew H
04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
I'm watching NBC... I realize the scene is pretty chaotic at the moment, but this is the most confusing news reporting I've ever tried to follow.

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 01:54 AM
It's pretty confusing.. that's one trouble with live 24/7 news coverage. They struggle to handle these things in real time.. and it sounds like there's still a suspect at large.

RCMcKenzie
04-19-2013, 01:54 AM
It sounds like they got one of the idiots and he's dead and the other is on the run.

atx840
04-19-2013, 02:02 AM
The scanner is really busy, they mentioned suspects names and waiting for daylight to come...slowly sweeping area.

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 02:06 AM
It sounds like they got one of the idiots and he's dead and the other is on the run.

From what I hear, at least one is arrested and at least one is running. I'll fight the urge to post from here out, rather than play the same role as the CNN/MSNBC reporters are doing now.

Totally OT, but I jUst remember jack--ses like Geraldo reporting an army unit's attack plan during invasion of Iraq... stuff like "and C company is going to swing to the North in a flanking maneuver". Sometimes these guys need time to read a well scripted/produced and telemprompted broadcast rather than speculate

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 02:30 AM
well.. I'm already guily of over speculation.. the suspect/the naked guy has been released. Yes one suspect is dead, one on the run. NOW- I will stop posting

Matthew H
04-19-2013, 02:39 AM
Reporter just said "this has been a six hour crime odesessy".

It looks they've run out of real stuff to report, I'm going to sleep.

brookdodger55
04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Suspect 1 killed other on the loose as of 7 am east coast time

barrysloate
04-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Entire city of Boston is in lockdown...that is unprecedented for a major American city.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Crazy crazy stuff! I hope they catch this other suspect alive, not that I want him alive just to get some answers from him!
My thoughts and Prayers going out to the officers wounded and killed and for the hope that no other innocent people get hurt by this terrorist!
News says suspect is 19 years old how do you get so much hate in you in only 19 years? I have a daughter his age that is just so unfathomable to me!

EvilKing00
04-19-2013, 07:09 AM
like watching a movie on fox news here, I hope they don't kill this 2ed guy he needs to be tortured IMO

cyseymour
04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Crazy crazy stuff! I hope they catch this other suspect alive, not that I want him alive just to get some answers from him!
My thoughts and Prayers going out to the officers wounded and killed and for the hope that no other innocent people get hurt by this terrorist!
News says suspect is 19 years old how do you get so much hate in you in only 19 years? I have a daughter his age that is just so unfathomable to me!

I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother. This kid, the way he walked, with the backpack slung off a shoulder, the hat backwards... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing? Maybe, but captain of the wrestling team, popular kid, it is unfathomable really. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is a good school. There is just nothing to explain this...

Really tragic not only for the victims but for the perpetrators as well.

pgellis
04-19-2013, 08:16 AM
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother. This kid, the way he walked, with the backpack slung off a shoulder, the hat backwards... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing? Maybe, but captain of the wrestling team, popular kid, it is unfathomable really. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is a good school. There is just nothing to explain this...

"...tragic for the perpetrators as well"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
suspect may be travelling in a
Grey Honda CRV
Mass Plate 316 ES9

Just saw that on local news and I am just posting this for anyone in the area of the suspect as I am. Not trying to create any hysteria!

Leon
04-19-2013, 08:36 AM
"...tragic for the perpetrators as well"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

+1. Tragic if they don't put multiple bullets between his eyes.

auggiedoggy
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
... so young, did he fully realize the consequences of what he was doing?

I get the feeling he's about to find out.

I do not share your sympathy for him however.

howard38
04-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Do you mean the consequence that a shrapnel bomb might maim and kill people? Given that he was a medical student I'd say yes he did. If you mean the consequence that he would be hunted down and killed or jailed, who gives a shit?

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM

WHAT!?!?! :eek: Are you kidding me! Maybe he was a decent kid growing up but somewhere along the line he obviously went bad. I only feel sorry for those he has hurt and killed!

Hitler and Bin Laden were probably "nice guys" before they turned into monsters!

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I actually feel pretty bad for the second kid... seems like he was dragged into this by his brother.

That is a major leap of faith we really know nothing about these individuals.

They are terrorists and now as of last night cop killers as well. Keep in mind, that is the person you are feeling sorry for!

cyseymour
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Of course this is a major atrocity and he should be brought to justice. It is absolutely horrible what he did, and as I sit here under lockdown, thinking of the people who've been maimed or killed, how lucky some of the people I knew were to okay, nothing could be more horrendous.

But what you have to understand is that it is a community. I have been in that community. I have, just a couple months ago, I played soccer three times in a gym with muslim immigrants in Cambridge where I was the only white American in there. Otherwise it was all muslims. Yes, in the very same area where that kid lives.

And you know what? Some of those guys did have issues playing with an American, it was not always easy. But other guys in there STOOD UP FOR ME. Arab culture is a little crazy, they will spend half the time yelling at each other instead of playing. But after playing with them a few times it became clear that I was allowed to get upset and yell, too. It is just how things are with them.

Yes, I know that you all want to get the bad guys like it is a James Bond film. And it kind of is a movie playing out right now. Certainly, they should be gotten. But if you were from Cambridge/Somerville and understood its values, you'd see why it is so tragic for everyone involved. Because there are a lot of kids like that who are trying to make it in this country. And Cambridge/Somerville is a place that accepts them and values diversity. It is a real community.

I don't know those guys, what they did is absolutely horrendous, and the remaining kid should be put to justice. But these are still human beings, and that they could throw away all the opportunity they've been given here and commit such a heinous crime is just a tragedy for everyone, including themselves. Something clearly went very, VERY wrong.

Runscott
04-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Entire city of Boston is in lockdown...that is unprecedented for a major American city.

Where does this stuff come from? I just read through today's posts in this thread (I don't have television), then went out and bought a newspaper.

There is almost no correlation :confused:

All these crappy constant news feeds you guys are confused over, sensationalizing this situation as if it's a Lifetime t.v. show, with very little journalistic integrity, is exactly why I got rid of my television the first time.

pgellis
04-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Where does this stuff come from? I just read through today's posts in this thread (I don't have television), then went out and bought a newspaper.

All these crappy constant news feeds you guys are confused over, sensationalizing this situation as if it's a Lifetime t.v. show, with very little journalistic integrity, is exactly why I got rid of my television the first time.

Scott, I don't know what the point of your post is, but there certainly is no confusion over what is happening in Boston right now. Overnight, these scumbags ambushed and killed a police officer and have shot another officer who is critical right now.
Boston is indeed in lockdown and the public has been asked to stay in their home and lock their doors. Traffic is not being allowed in parts of Boston. Taxicabs have been shut down along with the MBTA, bus service, etc.

So, we are not confused, maybe you are.

MVSNYC
04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Scott- the city was (and still might be) on lockdown. everyone was encouraged to stay home, schools closed, no mass transit, no flights leaving. this started early this morning after your newspaper was printed. they are locked down.

atx840
04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
"Governor Deval Patrick asked people who live in the entire city of Boston, as well as the nearby communities of Watertown, Waltham, Newton, Belmont, Cambridge, to “shelter in place” — stay inside and not open their doors to anyone, except police with proper identification.

The search has also led to the sudden shutdown of the MBTA’s entire network of commuter rail, bus, and subway services. Taxi service was shut down until late morning; the state court system announced closures of various courts and offices in the area. Amtrak suspended service between Providence and Boston. And officials requested businesses across the area not to open this morning."

Was brutal to listen to last night, the shootout was broadcast live on the scanner and there is video, hundreds of shots being fired. It's not coming across as sensationalization.

Gets intense around :45 sec mark.

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqo1Ad6spkY)

Runscott
04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Scott, I don't know what the point of your post is, but there certainly is no confusion over what is happening in Boston right now. Overnight, these scumbags ambushed and killed a police officer and have shot another officer who is critical right now.
Boston is indeed in lockdown and the public has been asked to stay in their home and lock their doors. Traffic is not being allowed in parts of Boston. Taxicabs have been shut down along with the MBTA, bus service, etc.

So, we are not confused, maybe you are.

Phil, I just re-read my post. If you don't get the point of it, then you haven't taken the time to read it. So maybe you actually ARE confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

Runscott
04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Scott- the city was (and still might be) on lockdown. everyone was encouraged to stay home, schools closed, no mass transit, no flights leaving. this started early this morning after your newspaper was printed. they are locked down.

Thanks. After reading the newspaper I checked several online sites and the facts varied - a lot.

Thanks for your response. I realized after reading Phil's that if I couldn't get accurate news from the newspaper or the internet, I certainly shouldn't have expected any sort of reasonable response from a baseball card forum. But sometimes I forget that.

cubsfan-budman
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Phil, I just re-read my post. If you don't get the point of it, then you haven't taken the time to read it. So maybe you actually ARE confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

the ridiculous amount of assuming that has been done by the major news outlets during the unfolding of this deal is really disheartening.

the networks are under such pressure to release info a few instants faster than the others is really detrimental to the consumers of news. even in the articles they often admit that their fact points are suppositions...which gets completely missed by many readers/watchers.

its almost smarter to wait a day or two after an event so that you can finally read an accurate account of something, rather than trying to absorb the chaos while events are unfolding.

Leon
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks. After reading the newspaper I checked several online sites and the facts varied - a lot.

Thanks for your response. I realized after reading Phil's that if I couldn't get accurate news from the newspaper or the internet, I certainly shouldn't have expected any sort of reasonable response from a baseball card forum. But sometimes I forget that.

Scott, there are rational people on our forum, for the most part. Your first post about this, this morning, sounded weird to me too. It's pretty easy. The two terrorists got identified, one got killed, the authorities have locked down most of a city for their own protection. They are still looking for the other terrorist and consider him to be extremely dangerous. Personally, I hope they don't take him alive. I agree there are lots of different reports but most, not all, are fairly accurate. It's a fluid situation. There is no script for this.

Peter_Spaeth
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
It can be hard to get a consistent picture when the media jump the gun and elevate speculation or rumor to fact. And while I of course want everyone myself included to be safe this is starting to seem a bit disproportionate.

pgellis
04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Well Scott, we do know that everything you read on the internet is certainly always true. But I guess you know it all being on the other side of the country.

Ease
04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Arab culture is a little crazy, they will spend half the time yelling at each other instead of playing.

I've noticed this also when I played soccer with Arab guys, they blow their tops so quickly and explosively over small stuff, I never could understand it.

EvilKing00
04-19-2013, 10:34 AM

feel bad? After they get info from him they should let the father of the 8year old kid who died, burn him alive in the middle of town.

cubsfan-budman
04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
feel bad? After they get info from him they should let the father of the 8year old kid who died, burn him alive in the middle of town.

Is that some voodoo magic that brings 8 yr olds back to life?

I'm sure watching that kid burn alive would really make that father feel so much better.

EvilKing00
04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Is that some voodoo magic that brings 8 yr olds back to life?

I'm sure watching that kid burn alive would really make that father feel so much better.

nothing will make the father feel better, but rather have him live a long life in a jail cell that tax payers need to pay for....or suffer a death he deserves.

Its an easy choice IMO.

Of course it will never happen, but there is no punishment that fits a crime of killing an innocent kid, ..o yea also that father, his daughter was also there and lost one of her limbs.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I hope they take him alive only for the fact he may lead them to others who could be involved! You can kill him after that as far as I am concerned!
I think he may end up taking his own life one way or another, I just don`t see how he is going to be brought in alive.

Ladder7
04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Took the wife downtown yesterday for the Fleetwood Mac concert at the Garden. Couldn't leave this AM. Subway and Taxi's all shut down. Finally, we copped a ride and home now.

An obviously upset Stevie Nicks made a nice tribute at the end of the show. Not a dry eye.

We've become Israel. Be vigilant.

Eerily quiet this AM;

honus94566
04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
At the business where I work, we have a few customers in the Boston area that we overnighted packages to yesterday. Apparently the fedex planes are not even being allowed to land in Boston so everything is stuck in Memphis for the time being.

I understand security and caution and all (would make sense to not have delivery trucks out and about in Boston today) , but if 1 single russian kid with a gun is putting so much fear into us that we can't even land airplanes at Logan International, then all I can say is... the terrorists win.

Jewish-collector
04-19-2013, 11:09 AM
As Leon will say, let's keep the politics out of the discussion.

Matthew H
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
We've become Israel. Be vigilant.

The bombers were Russian.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 11:32 AM
At the business where I work, we have a few customers in the Boston area that we overnighted packages to yesterday. Apparently the fedex planes are not even being allowed to land in Boston so everything is stuck in Memphis for the time being.

I understand security and caution and all (would make sense to not have delivery trucks out and about in Boston today) , but if 1 single russian kid with a gun is putting so much fear into us that we can't even land airplanes at Logan International, then all I can say is... the terrorists win.

It`s been a bit more than one russian kid with a gun in case you havent noticed!

I can certainly understand why people in the area are on edge. My brother was at the marathon and if he was 50 yards in either direction he could have been hurt or killed! I thank god he was unhurt!
I am about an hour away from Boston and my daughter knows people who have met this kid in college, this is as close to this as I want to get. I would like to think that my daughter is as safe as a kid somewhere in the middle of Montana, but untill this comes to an end I wont feel relief.

honus94566
04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
It`s been a bit more than one russian kid with a gun in case you havent noticed!

There's just the 1 kid left, the other is dead. Again, not saying the area shouldn't be on red alert. Just my opinion that if flights are not even allowed to come into Boston, that is excessive IMO.

pawpawdiv9
04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
So much coverage of Boston..despite having a severe storm system coming thru and a sited funnel cloud taking homes off foundations in our state..Which ya think precedents here?? And when they do show the weather, they have a pic/in/box still of Boston.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
There's just the 1 kid left, the other is dead. Again, not saying the area shouldn't be on red alert. Just my opinion that if flights are not even allowed to come into Boston, that is excessive IMO.

Yes law enforcement is operating with an over abundance of caution. It seems as if there is only one terrorist left who can say for sure at this point? We don`t know if there are other persons of interest that the public does not know about at this time are they armed with guns,bombs? Who knows it is still unfolding.
I don`t think refering to him as a kid fits either. He is 19 that is an adult and his actions have made him a terrorist lets call him what he is!

For your sake and your customers I hope they don`t deem your packages suspicious! :eek:

calvindog
04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

The idea that the bombers were Russian is laughable -- they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen. And they were knee-deep in Jihad as the evidence clearly shows on one of their Facebook pages, comments from an uncle, the types of bombs they used, etc. So, the comparison to Israel is hardly far-fetched. Just some thoughts.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Just heard Sox and Bruins games have been cancelled for tonight!

Matthew H
04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen.

That pip-squeak couldn't get anywhere near my eyes. Otherwise, fine, Boston is like Israel.

Ladder7
04-19-2013, 02:16 PM

We're not Israel in the literal sense, no Matthew H. And I realize you didn't mean Russian, but Chechen as well.

Be Strong, steve

E93
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM

+1

Revenge and hate only perpetuate the cycle imho.
JimB

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 02:25 PM
The idea that the bombers were Russian is laughable -- they'd probably pluck your eyes out for saying such a thing as they were Chechen.

We're not Israel in the literal sense, no Matthew H. And I realize you didn't mean Russian, but Chechen as well.

Chechnya is technically part of Russia, hence the problems. Lots of craziness over there.. their separatist blew up a school full of kids, took over a packed theater in Moscow (which the Russian army gassed and stormed inflicting mass civilian casualties), bombed planes, etc.. and I'm sure the Russian military has done some terrible things as well.

Though there may be some common themes/events/causes, all of these ongoing world situations (Isreal, Chechnya, Sri Lanka, Syria, Libya, N Korea, etc) are unique. That said, I wish the best to all those in the Boston area and hope this situation is quelled with no further loss of innocent life.

Leon
04-19-2013, 02:36 PM
+1

Revenge and hate only perpetuate the cycle imho.
JimB

Jim- I could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.

cubsfan-budman
04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Jim- I could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.

That absolutely does not take away from Jim's assertion. No good comes from perpetuating the cycle of violence.

Leon
04-19-2013, 02:46 PM
That absolutely does not take away from Jim's assertion. No good comes from perpetuating the cycle of violence.

I disagree. Bin Laden got what he deserved. He won't be killing anyone else. Cycle stopped (for him). One of these current Boston terrorists got what he deserved. He won't kill anyone else. One more to go, then he won't kill anyone else. Those three will have their cycles stopped. And if more people kill innocent people they too should have their cycles ended. Just my opinion. Moral of the story, don't kill innocent people.

Kenny Cole
04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
But it doesn't have to be about revenge and hate. If your dog has rabies you may love it but you still put it down. If you don't, you endanger everyone around you.

I feel similarly about this kid and others like him. It isn't about hate, its about safety. I may feel sad for him and wonder why he became what he is now, but that really doesn't change anything. If you don't capture him or put him down, everyone else is endangered. If that is perpetuating the cycle, so be it. At least, hopefully, there is one less killer out there.

Leon
04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
But it doesn't have to be about revenge and hate. If your dog has rabies you may love it but you still put it down. If you don't, you endanger everyone around you.

I feel similarly about this kid and others like him. It isn't about hate, its about safety. I may feel sad for him and wonder why he became what he is now, but that really doesn't change anything. If you don't capture him or put him down, everyone else is endangered. If that is perpetuating the cycle, so be it. At least, hopefully, there is one less killer out there.

I think we are on the same page Kenny. That being said, I am sorry....if my daughter was maimed or killed I would hate the person that did it and want revenge. I am weak in that respect.

Kenny Cole
04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
I would too.

Ease
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Me three.

scooter729
04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
I've been on lockdown all day - it is insane. I watched my childhood home on CNN as armored vehicles patrolled the street doing searches. I live 3 miles away now but my 10-month old son goes to daycare right where the gunfight took place.

I am just thankful this happened overnight and not during the day when he would have been there. Let's all just put the politics aside and hope this ends soon.

howard38
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
/

packs
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
My thoughts go out to the people in Boston.

EvilKing00
04-19-2013, 04:53 PM
jim- i could be wrong but if your 8 yr old son was blown to smithereens in front of your face, and your daughter had her leg blown off, in front of your face, you might feel differently.....but maybe not.

+1000000000

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I was going to post something else but my tv caught my attention just now. A reporter saying he heard gunfire in watertown area. I hope it will be over soon!

EvilKing00
04-19-2013, 05:03 PM
So if touture is out of the question...What about putting him in General Population. Would love to see what the best US harnened prisioners have to show this coward.

Matthew H
04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
So if touture is out of the question...What about putting him in General Population. Would love to see what the best US harnened prisioners have to show this coward.

^ The best possible outcome, IMO.

bigwinnerx
04-19-2013, 05:11 PM
And if more people kill innocent people they too should have their cycles ended.

No disrespect meant Leon, but, as you state, in this "battle" there is no singular cycle. Thus, it is perpetual.

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 05:21 PM
No confirmation yet but I have a feeling they got him. Reports are a body in a boat in backyard after heavy gunfire!

scooter729
04-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Praying this might be it - so scary to watch this footage now on live tv of my old neighborhood....

BengoughingForAwhile
04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
When will Al Cowlings show up to save the kid?

bbcarddan
04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
They got him alive!

Others arrested in connection with this as well http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/04/officials-arrest-3-individuals-in-new-bedford-in-connection-with-boston-marathon-bombing/

With him alive hopefully he will lead authorities to others who would commit such acts before they happen! Well done BPD and all law enforcement agencies invovlved!

gnaz01
04-19-2013, 06:56 PM
with him alive hopefully he will lead authorities to others who would commit such acts before they happen! Well done bpd and all law enforcement agencies invovlved!

+100000000000000

pgellis
04-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Where is the correlation now Scott?

Get a clue!

NewEnglandBaseBallist
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Tsarnaev captured alive! In serious condition at a Boston hospital. Congrats to all the local, state, and federal agencies on a job well done. Now the victims and their families can begin the process of recovery and this pig can be brought to justice! Boston Strong! Boston Pride! United We Stand! :D

itjclarke
04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Tsarnaev captured alive! In serious condition at a Boston hospital. Congrats to all the local, state, and federal agencies on a job well done. Now the victims and their families can begin the process of recovery and this pig can be brought to justice! Boston Strong! Boston Pride! United We Stand! :D

And he'll be interrogated, stand trial, etc.. And if the bros were working with anyone else, the cops/Feds have a shot to ferret them out (please pardon me if I'm way out of the loop as I haven't been able to check the news for hours). Glad its over, at least for now, especially for you New Englanders.

atx840
04-19-2013, 10:01 PM
What an awful week for the people of Boston and it's nation.

Seeing this...felt good.

Arrest photo, mildly graphic click (http://i.imgur.com/XDuMHCY.jpg)

auggiedoggy
04-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Glad to hear he was captured alive. Hopefully they can get some answers. After that, I don't care what they do to him.

EvilKing00
04-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Send him to guantanamo bay

dabigyankeeman
04-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Send him to guantanamo bay

I was just going to post that if he doesnt talk we should send him to Guantanamo and see how he likes water boarding!!

Kudo's to the citizens and law enforcement people for getting this done, what riveting tv this was, wow, and thank God they got both of them. Now I just hope the injured recover as well as they can, and my heart goes out to the ones who either died or lost limbs. :(

Ulidia
04-20-2013, 06:26 AM
I grew up in Belfast, Northern Ireland during the "troubles" so have had too much experience of bombings and the fear that they can provoke.

Whilst last Monday's bombing was, and is, terrible (unequivocally so), I am glad that the remaining bomber was captured alive. Not because I wouldn't will him dead but, rather, that it's important that the relevant agencies can obtain as much understanding as possible about whether others, and if so who, were involved.

The sad reality appears to be that a single crazed idiot or two can create bombs that can bring cities to a standstill. Whilst the effect is still every bit as bad, I'd very much hope that this is the work of two crazed and warped scum rather than something wider.

For all the talk re US and the terrorism threat (which clearly exists), it is remarkable how few significant terrorist incidents there have been on US soil since Sept 11. I don't know but can only assume that the security intelligence is more persuasive than we may sometimes credit.

ps - Chechnya is a part of Russia and will hopefully remain so for a long, long time. One thing that does annoy me is that the global media view the Chechnyan separatists as the bone fide representatives and spokespeople of that territory.

brookdodger55
04-20-2013, 06:55 AM
He will be treated as as enemy combatant, which will allow the dept of justice
To ? Him for as long as they please hence gizmo. Also the Russian govt
Requested that the US govt investigate him two years ago for his radical postings on you tube. Then he leaves the US last year for six months headed to Russia then onto ? For his training on a green card. Someone dropped the ball on the older brother.
Mike

iwantitiwinit
04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Now I'm not a Red Sox fan by any stretch but Big Papi's intro at the Sox game today sums it up....."'THIS IS OUR F*CKING CITY!' AND WERE NOT GONNA LET ANYONE DICTATE OUR FREEDOM, STAY STRONG". I love it if you get a chance check out the youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GLsc1wpqM

Cardboard Junkie
04-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I think Papi's into was inappropriate and low class. Eliminating the expletive would better have served his point. Dave

itjclarke
04-20-2013, 02:31 PM
ps - Chechnya is a part of Russia and will hopefully remain so for a long, long time. One thing that does annoy me is that the global media view the Chechnyan separatists as the bone fide representatives and spokespeople of that territory.[/I]

Not entirely the same, but on the topic of "media view", when Russia had their brief war with Georgia, the US media covered it almost entirely from the side/perspective of the Georgians. The fact that Georgia had been the aggressor, had attacked S Ossetia and killed Russian soldiers was barely mentioned initially, and not mentioned once the heavy fighting began. I'm not saying one position or country was right, but it's frustrating because the media (especially US) tends to choose a side (usually the easy "victim") and go with it. This has happened several times in the past few years. "Freedom fighters"/"Separatists" are often gentler words for "terrorists"/"insurgents".. the names we choose to call them usually depends on which perspective we're viewing it from. Media has a huge influence in that.

adding: PS- I'd be very interested to learn more about what life was like in Belfast during those years/decades. I visited Ireland in college.. there were still some attacks/bombings happening, but never made it to the north.. I mostly only knew/know what I've seen in movies like "In the Name of Father"/ "The Boxer"/etc.

calvindog
04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Now I'm not a Red Sox fan by any stretch but Big Papi's intro at the Sox game today sums it up....."'THIS IS OUR F*CKING CITY!' AND WERE NOT GONNA LET ANYONE DICTATE OUR FREEDOM, STAY STRONG". I love it if you get a chance check out the youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GLsc1wpqM

Actually, two Muslim terrorists from Chechnya 'dictated' and killed and terrorized Boston over the past few days and probably changed it forever.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
04-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I think Papi's into was inappropriate and low class. Eliminating the expletive would better have served his point. Dave

Obviously, you're not from Boston.

cyseymour
04-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Actually, two Muslim terrorists from Chechnya 'dictated' and killed and terrorized Boston over the past few days and probably changed it forever.

Yes, it made it stronger.

calvindog
04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes, it made it stronger.

Right. Stronger.

cyseymour
04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Right. Stronger.

Well, let me tell you, not everyone is so scared up here. People are tough in Boston. It will bring people together. Don't underestimate Boston. You'll see.

Runscott
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM

pgellis
04-20-2013, 04:12 PM
We need to wait until the facts make it to Scott's newspaper before he can comment, maybe tomorrow.

Matthew H
04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Well, let me tell you, not everyone is so scared up here. People are tough in Boston. It will bring people together. Don't underestimate Boston. You'll see.

Thank you for posting this. You can't let fear take over an entire city, ever.

There has been some kind of race war down in South LA for the last several years. It's supposed to be over. There hasn't been much activity lately but I can tell you, walking around there feels like wading through water. You can cut the tension with a knife. I've been having to shuttle materials down there for a job I'm on and I can feel an incredible amount of fear down there. It's no way to live. I feel sorry for those that have to raise their children in that area.

My first apartment was in highland park. That place was an absolute war zone back then (late 90's). I remember having to look in every direction then listen quietly before I stepped outside at night. All of that fear was probably unnecessary. Nothing ever happened to me.

Just be aware of your surroundings at all times, it become second nature. And don't be afraid, fear can really take over if you let it.

-

Runscott
04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
We need to wait until the facts make it to Scott's newspaper before he can comment, maybe tomorrow.

Phil, you are welcome to display your ignorance immediately if you'd like. It makes no difference to me.

...and I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with someone who's unarmed. Don't expect any additional responses to your tripe.

Ulidia
04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Not entirely the same, but on the topic of "media view", when Russia had their brief war with Georgia, the US media covered it almost entirely from the side/perspective of the Georgians. The fact that Georgia had been the aggressor, had attacked S Ossetia and killed Russian soldiers was barely mentioned initially, and not mentioned once the heavy fighting began. I'm not saying one position or country was right, but it's frustrating because the media (especially US) tends to choose a side (usually the easy "victim") and go with it. This has happened several times in the past few years. "Freedom fighters"/"Separatists" are often gentler words for "terrorists"/"insurgents".. the names we choose to call them usually depends on which perspective we're viewing it from. Media has a huge influence in that.

adding: PS- I'd be very interested to learn more about what life was like in Belfast during those years/decades. I visited Ireland in college.. there were still some attacks/bombings happening, but never made it to the north.. I mostly only knew/know what I've seen in movies like "In the Name of Father"/ "The Boxer"/etc.

Coincidentally, I have a soft spot for Georgia and its capital of Tbilisi as I was there in 1997 - not that long after the civil war and after it won independence from Russian rule.

Was only my second time behind the "iron curtain" and whilst I've been behind it many times since, I've never returned to Tbilisi. The city was frightening, magnificent, beautiful and so much more ruled into one. My travels there were back in the day well before inexpensive travel and before prevalent use of the internet. Really did seem a different world and, certainly, Tbilisi wasn't an overly easy city to get into. Should add that I'd only gone there to watch a sporting event .... Dynamo Tbilisi versus Crusaders of Belfast in a soccer match. I was the only supporter who traveled.

As for life in Belfast? Happy to talk offline about it all sometime. Although I "live" in London these days (for work), Belfast remains my home - it always will be. Beautiful, historic city with tremendous links to the US - those links were solidified during WWII when many US troops were stationed in Northern Ireland before seeing action on the European continent.