PDA

View Full Version : Joe DiMaggio George Burke "Statue" on eBay

thecatspajamas
04-13-2013, 09:59 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/s/161004546369

Whoever outbid me on this, I would love to see better photos of it for my George Burke research. Pretty please?

Or for that matter, if anyone has a similar piece featuring another player, I'd be glad to see it too. I have yet to actually get one of these in hand to look them over.

71buc
04-13-2013, 11:07 PM
It sold on Mears 10 months ago. I was an under bidder at that time. Perhaps they would have more images for you?

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=63100

jcmtiger
04-13-2013, 11:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/s/161004546369

Whoever outbid me on this, I would love to see better photos of it for my George Burke research. Pretty please?

Or for that matter, if anyone has a similar piece featuring another player, I'd be glad to see it too. I have yet to actually get one of these in hand to look them over.

I'm surprised you did not bid higher on this statue if really from 1930's.

Joe

thecatspajamas
04-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Mike, thanks for finding that. Much better pics. I had tried to find it on Hunt's site from when they originally sold it in one of the DiMaggio estate lots, but we all know what a pain it is searching for anything on there. The only thing I found was a similar piece from Van Mungo's estate (that sold for a whopping $30).

Joe, I would have gone higher if it was something I was going to keep, but really only wanted to have a "look see." I can't afford to keep much of a "permanent collection," and would be just as happy with a lesser-name (and therefore cheaper) player to keep on hand just as an example.

jcmtiger
04-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Lance, I understand, I have been selling off most of my collection the last 2 years or so. I used to buy everything in the last 30 years, now I only buy something I can resell.

Joe

doug.goodman
04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
From the ebay auction description :

"There is a stamp of Burke (1930's stamp) on the bottom of the base but Hunts covered it with the DiMaggio sticker"

What is wrong with people who place new stickers on old items? If they insist on doing it, can't they do it without covering things up?

thecatspajamas
04-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I kind of groaned when I read that too. I actually didn't realize he had stamped these as he did his photos until I read that in the eBay description, and was curious to see which stamp style he used, as that is one of the aspects of Burke's photos that I am researching. It wouldn't make or break the research, but would be interesting to compare, and had I won it, I would have been sorely tempted to peel back at least part of the sticker to see :D

prewarsports
04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
I won it in MEARS but was not the seller on ebay. I have owned about 6 of these over the years (from different players estates) and ALL I have ever seen have come from the players themselves. It is real.

doug.goodman
04-14-2013, 05:46 PM
...had I won it, I would have been sorely tempted to peel back at least part of the sticker to see :D

I would absolutely remove the sticker, if I owned it, assuming that I could do so without causing too much damage.