PDA

View Full Version : Are most T206 Ray Demmitt St-Louis cards creased?

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
In lower grades such as a 1 or 2?

Is this a nice example of this card or below average for eye appeal and creasing for the grade?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321106309561?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My last topic for today...so please bare with me!!!:)

Tao_Moko
04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Would be much much better if you collected something post war.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Tao_Moko

Sorry I don't understand your comment?

felada
04-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I would say more are rectangular than creased

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I guess it is a bad looking Demmitt card.

Joe_G.
04-12-2013, 06:29 PM

+1

I've been a member for over a decade now, I think he'll pass my post count by the end of the month. It's one thing to post frequently when you balance the taking with giving, but no one likes constant high maintenance when it is unnecessary.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry guys I am just in the purchasing mood I think you been fellow collectors understand when the itch gets you.

Tao_Moko
04-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Tao_Moko

Sorry I don't understand your comment?

Everone else who tortures themselves by opening your posts will.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Tao_Moko

Grumpy crowd this evening. Thanks for at least giving some sort of a answer.

frankbmd
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Crease discovered in Demmitt New York card.:eek:

Zone91
04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
frankbmd

Hahahaha lollll!!!!

Runscott
04-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Frank, I've been collecting the T206 'jockey hat' subset. So far I have both Demmitts and the Cobb 'bat off'. But this 'cracked jockey hat' is a real rarity - I don't think I've ever seen one before.

How much?

frankbmd
04-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Frank, I've been collecting the T206 'jockey hat' subset. So far I have both Demmitts and the Cobb 'bat off'. But this 'cracked jockey hat' is a real rarity - I don't think I've ever seen one before.

How much?

With or without the horse? That's Demmitt on the black one.;)

Paul S
04-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Eric, Please don't send him over there. It's like a sanctuary.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Funny how fast you guys complain like grumpy old women!!!:D

sportscardpete
04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
On another note - are most e107's black and white? I have noticed that everyone I have seen has no color....

jcmtiger
04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
+1

I've been a member for over a decade now, I think he'll pass my post count by the end of the month. It's one thing to post frequently when you balance the taking with giving, but no one likes constant high maintenance when it is unnecessary.
Yes Peter Chao is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

joe

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Funny how fast you guys complain like grumpy old women!!!:D

Oh, for Pete's sake...please lighten up.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Eric72

Did you not see the smiley face at the end!!!:)

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Eric72

Yes, I saw the, "Big Grin" smiley face.

I'm no, "Dummy."

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/2013-02-02_Front_zpsfb6c087c.jpg

Best,

Eric

jcmtiger
04-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Eric72

Really, please search Peter Chao :D

Joe

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Well I just purchased it for 1875$ good seller and nice card!!! Looking forward to seen it.

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Looking forward to seen it.

Zone91...Peter...whatever,

No offense, bub...it's, "seeing" it.

Just trying to help.

Best,

Eric

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Eric72

P.S my 1st language is french..... simply trying my best in English.

teetwoohsix
04-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Yes Peter Chao is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

joe

:D

Sincerely, Clayton

sbfinley
04-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Adrian,
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but most of the negative comments you recieve are because some of your questions could be answered by a quick search or study. Pace yourself. It is easy to get burned out in this hobby especially in the beginning. If you don't have a concise focus it is easy to overextend your collection and your budget leaving you with a stack of cards that are really nice, but honestly do not have any meaning to you. Don't chase something because it is expensive or rare. Chase something because it connects with you. Welcome to the board and good luck. I'd honestly rather have ten more people like you that ask a large amount of simple questions out of curiosity than one more person who gets bent out of shape about someone's dealings, words, or actions. This is a hobby that at its purest form sparks a child like emotion in all of us and I'd prefer curiosity over frustration. PM me and I'll give you my email. Feel free to shoot me any questions you have about the hobby.

And to answer your question: most lower graded t206's are going to have some sort of problems. Creases and wrinkles are chiefly among them. Occasionally you will find lower graded cards with back issues or slight paperless that knock them on the scale but leave them with a very appealing front.

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:38 PM
sbfinley

Thanks I appreciate your comment very much!!!:)

My focus is going to be the rarer T206 cards and then the same cards with different backs and as many HOF I can get in the 1887 Old Judge set over the next long long while.

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Eric72

Bon jour, monsieur. Comment ca va?

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Eric72

Je suis en attente, mon ami.

Shoele$$
04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
On another note - are most e107's black and white? I have noticed that everyone I have seen has no color....

I was also wondering the same thing....

Now does anybody know if Drum backs came in anything other than purple? Maybe like a tangerine?

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Eric72

Sa va bien et toi monsieur? Sa fait du bien de pouvoir parler en français ici, mais aussi étrange.

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Eric72

Parlez-vous français, monsieur?

Zone91
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Eric72

Dans quelle région as-tu appris à parler la langue française aux États-Unis?

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Eric72

Sa va bien et toi monsieur? Sa fait du bien de pouvoir parler en français ici, mais aussi étrange.

I agree, very strange; however, this is an American forum. We should speak American here. And also observe American customs. After all, the vast majority of the people who post here live in the USA.

As such...please consider the follwing nugget of knowledge:

When in Rome, speak Italian
When in England, speak English
When in America, speak American (and yes, there is a difference)

Best Regards,

Eric

jcmtiger
04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Adrian,
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but most of the negative comments you recieve are because some of your questions could be answered by a quick search or study. Pace yourself. It is easy to get burned out in this hobby especially in the beginning. If you don't have a concise focus it is easy to overextend your collection and your budget leaving you with a stack of cards that are really nice, but honestly do not have any meaning to you. Don't chase something because it is expensive or rare. Chase something because it connects with you. Welcome to the board and good luck. I'd honestly rather have ten more people like you that ask a large amount of simple questions out of curiosity than one more person who gets bent out of shape about someone's dealings, words, or actions. This is a hobby that at its purest form sparks a child like emotion in all of us and I'd prefer curiosity over frustration. PM me and I'll give you my email. Feel free to shoot me any questions you have about the hobby.

And to answer your question: most lower graded t206's are going to have some sort of problems. Creases and wrinkles are chiefly among them. Occasionally you will find lower graded cards with back issues or slight paperless that knock them on the scale but leave them with a very appealing front.

Steven I agree, he seems interested in learning, but this is like my wife telling me to take the garbage out over and over. Or mow the lawn, whatever. Or fingernails on a blackboard, if anyone knows what a blackboard is.

Joe

Eric72
04-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Eric72

Dans quelle région as-tu appris à parler la langue française aux États-Unis?

I learned to speak French in the Southerastrn portion of Pennsylvania. We have quite a large collector base here.

And, as for you, mon ami...

Happy Collecting!

Best Regards,

Eric

Shoele$$
04-12-2013, 10:59 PM
but this is like my wife telling me to take the garbage out over and over. Or mow the lawn

Joe you should only have to be told once......at least according to my wife.....;)

Eric72
04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Steven I agree, he seems interested in learning, but this is like my wife telling me to take the garbage out over and over. Or mow the lawn, whatever. Or fingernails on a blackboard, if anyone knows what a blackboard is.

Joe

Joe,

I survived Catholic School and know quite well what a blackboard is...and also agree with your assessment of Zone91.

Best Regards,

Eric

Zone91
04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
I understand I am the rookie I get the crap!!! But rest assured I love this hobby and will always try to learn more.

cyseymour
04-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Peut-etre vraiment embettant quand quel'quen poser beaucoup des questions tres simple un nouveau et un nouveau. Je voudrais t'aider mais apres de temps, je fatigue. Je n'ai pas un problem si tu epeles un mot incorrecte, mais a continuer avec des questions, quand toutes les autres sont fagitues aussi, c'est meilleur si tu prends un pose d'un plusiers semaines. S'il te plait!

Zone91
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
cyseymour

Hence the black belt and the white belt each must bend and give and take from each other...but in the end they both grow as people....one learns and the other learns to teach.

Eric72
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I understand I am the rookie I get the crap!!! But rest assured I love this hobby and will always try to learn more.

Adrian...Zone...Peter,

If I may be so bold...please embrace an American axiom (starting point for discussion.)

We have two ears and one mouth....and should use them in that proportion.

Just a suggestion...actually, I have done about 20 times more reading than typing while visiting this site.

Best,

Eric

jcmtiger
04-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Joe,

I survived Catholic School and know quite well what a blackboard is...and also agree with your assessment of Zone91.

Best Regards,

Oh, the Catholic School survival, not me but my wife has many stories. Her brother and her had a nickle to ride the bus home and the Sisters took their nickle for the School. They had to walk home. Wife watched a fight and admitted it , that was the wrong thing to do. She has many stories. I grew up in a rural area, public school and we did what we wanted to do. Teachers were strict, but still lenient. If you know what i mean. Enough, lets talk cards.
Eric

Joe

Eric72
04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Adrian,

Steve,

You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Thank you very much. Again, I found myself getting drug into something I did not intend to become involved with...and...this time, I drifted into another language.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Best Regards,

Eric

Zone91
04-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Eric72

No problem!!!

Ladder7
04-13-2013, 05:44 AM
ça me fait chier, Cut the newbee some slack. Hell, if it weren't for the French Navy and General Lafayette, we'd be saying dumb stuff like, "My tart, aren't we feeling randy this evening".

tedzan
04-13-2013, 06:31 AM

Zone

Hey guy, we do not have "hazing initiations" on this forum for "rookie" members....so, cut the "crap" !

We appreciate your passion for seeking as much info as you desire. But, before you overload us with posts, try the SEARCH function. There are approx. 1000 pages
of prior posts dating back to 2001 on every pre-WWII baseball card subject you can think of.

So, cool down, click on the SEARCH feature.....type in the box your subject of interest.....and, enjoy the reading.

You will find this practice to be enormously informative.

T-Rex TED

buymycards
04-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi Adrian,
Like you, I am intrigued by the Demmitt and O'Hara T206's. It seems that most of them I have seen are pretty beat up, even more so than most of the other T206's.

If you use the "Search" function and type in "Demmitt" you can find many threads about Demmitt and O'Hara.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134335&highlight=Demmitt - this is an interesting poll.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115821&highlight=Demmitt - this is also interesting.

I seem to remember another thread several years ago concerning the condition of the Polar Bear cards.

PSA has graded 74 Demmitts and only 20 are graded higher than VG.

Hope this helps.

Rick

oldcardboard
04-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Im new to the forum. Ive been collecting for 30+ years and still enjoy learning about all aspects of our hobby. The search feature is a great tool. Sure, I have ?'s about a lot of stuff, and usually there are mulitple threads from past/present that I find the answer in. Alot of good reading on those topics also. Starting a new "thread" is great, but each thread you start, pushes someone else's down the ladder.

Zone91
04-13-2013, 06:51 AM
buymycards

I purchased the Demmitt last night and I am looking to buy a (graded one either by PSA SGC or BVG as a 4) O'Hara but there are none on ebay.ca only 2 on ebya.com they do not ship to Canada tryied making a deal but the guy does not want to ship to Canada.

Thanks for the links appreciate it.:)

steve B
04-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Your english is just fine. I make my share of errors and it's pretty much my only language. (I understand some technical mechanical terms in a few languages, but not the surrounding text. Beyond that I can order beer and ask for the bathroom and that's about it.)

The point about slowing down a bit is a good one. Even at the snails pace I collect I find I need a bit of a break now and then. I also find the collecting more enjoyable when I take it as a slower more detailed journey.

That won't work for everyone, but I dislike seeing collectors lose enthusiasm after buying a handful of cards and quit. There are entire worlds of fun to be had beyond the checklists if you don't get burned out.

Steve B

Zone91
04-13-2013, 07:17 AM
steve B

Sound advice!! I have the intention to take it slower just want to add the T206 O'Hara (St-Louis variation) in a 4 to my set then I will go at a slower pace for sure.

joetinkerfan
04-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I have to agree with most of the members on the board that Zone91 needs to take a break from all the posting, do more of his research on his own and try to understand what the hobby is all about. First off, I would recommend that you start slow. If you are really interested in Old Judge cards. Do your own research, buy a couple cards and learn to really love the hobby! Don't just try to buy a $6k card...I have spent that kind of money on my collection but I consider myself to be an advanced collector, one who has spent YEARS studying and has taken the time to learn all the details about any given set. I didn't just one day decide to collect vintage cards. I love to look at my cards and feel the history that comes through them. To know that someone hundreds of years ago enjoyed them. I really suggest that you try to do the same thing! Picking up a couple of books and constantly hounding this board for information will only make you a joke to this board. Look at my post count..I am on this board almost every day and how often do I post? I like to check in to see what's being talked about and to see what's hot in the hobby. If you happened to check, there are about 1000 pages if information here, take some time and read some of them. I would tend to bet that most of if not all of your questions would be answered within those pages. Then you wouldn't need to start new threads every day. Sorry for the rant...but it had to be said.

Zone91
04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
joetinkerfan

Never said I was at your level in the hobby but one starts somewhere. I have been collecting cards post 1952 since 1989 I know a lot about those cards....I know a LOT about comic books from 1938 till now and U.S coins as well as Canadian coins....spent years reading and learning. I know for sure a card like Demmitt I purchased is not a bad buy and probably never will be same as a O'Hara T-206 St-Louis variation so I am buying sure things at the moment.

npa589
04-13-2013, 08:56 AM
ça me fait chier, Cut the newbee some slack. Hell, if it weren't for the French Navy and General Lafayette, we'd be saying dumb stuff like, "My tart, aren't we feeling randy this evening".

Lol!

wolf441
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM

C'mon Steve,

In Bawstin, we'd be saying "my taaaht, ahnt we feelin wicked randy this evening?"!!:D

04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Awesome Pete :D

Did Shoeless Joe ever wear shoes?!

Who's better: PSA or SGC?!

How much would a T206 Wagner PSA 10 be worth?!

Runscott
04-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Awesome Pete :D

Did Shoeless Joe ever wear shoes?!

Who's better: PSA or SGC?!

How much would a T206 Wagner PSA 10 be worth?!

Is Shoeless Joe a HOF'er? If not, why are his cards worth so much? Is it just stupid bidders who have too much money and need his card to complete a set? It's all so baffling :confused:

What corner is 'Coaches Corner' located in? Which coaches are there? :confused:

scooter729
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Adrian, I'm not sure if others have mentioned before, but if not, you should also buy a membership and research things on vintagecardprices.com.

You can see prices that cards have sold for over the past several years in each PSA / SGC condition, and pictures of them as well (for the past few years).

That will help you as well to get up to speed.....