PDA

View Full Version : Hartlands Advice Sought

Karl Mattson
04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm mostly a baseball card collector, but I've been thinking about buying an original 1960s Killebrew Hartland statue. Pricing seems to be all over the place - $200-$700 on eBay. Anything I need to be savvy about to avoid making a bad purchase? I'm assuming I couldn't be fooled by the 1988 re-issue.

I know pricing is based on condition, but would it be a devastating mistake if I end up with a Killebrew that's had some invisible repair, or doesn't have an original bat? I've seen that most have warped bases - does that mean the few that don't have likely been replaced or tinkered with?

I'm not overly concerned about whiteness, and I don't even care much about minor repairs or replacement parts as long as the thing is appropriately priced. If I get one that looks good to my eye in the $200-$275 range, could I lose much on re-sale down the road if I'm ignorant about repairs and replacement parts, or in that price range is tinkering somewhat tolerated?

Thanks.

71buc
04-11-2013, 07:52 AM
I have about 10 of them Killebrew is not one of them. Most I have come across have warping to the base. I have been told that there is a technique to correct that without damaging it. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details. I have found the owner of this website http://www.hartlands.com/ to be very helpful and knowledgeable. If you call him be prepared for a long discussion as he is passionate about Hartlands.

jcmtiger
04-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I owned all of the Baseball Hartlands at one time. I would not buy one that has been repaired. The bat I would not worry about.

Joe

stone193
04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Karl

There's a big time Hartland collector who should chime in on this one.

I collect them from time to time - but am by no means an expert.

Someone whom I trust and knows Hartlands is Lou from Inside the Park Collectibles. (http://insidetheparkcollectibles.com/itemdetail.aspx?inventoryid=6729&searchtype=0&search=&lotsperpage=25&categoryid=19&displayby=2&pagetype=0&page=0&seo=60's-HARMON-KILLEBREW-%22HARTLAND%22-STATUE)

On the condition - I shy away from repaired or repainted statues - I would rather have a little "yellowing" or chipping over repairs - the bat - if original is a plus but not as important to me as the whole "repair" thing.

I don't have the "Killer" statue yet - it's one of the "tougher" ones with respect to scarcity.

Also - the re-issues are easy to differentiate IMO.

Good luck on your pickup.