PDA

View Full Version : Why all the tape?

brewing
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one that hates receiving a card that is heavily taped?

I find it easier to bust open a Beckett slab than cutting through all the tape.

Note to sellers: Stop with the tape!!! Tape offers no protection to the card(s). If you must tape, use blue painters tape.

dabigyankeeman
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Totally agree. I get cards put inbetween two pieces of cardboard, then taped up so that you can hardly open it without damaging the card unless you are a surgeon and an expert with a scalpel. Dealers gotta realize its real easy to tape up a card solid, but how about the buyer who has to get at that card!!!! :mad:

Buythatcard
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I am both a buyer and seller. I also hate the over taped packages. Sometimes the auction houses use so much tape and then place the package in a tightly sealed box that sits within another taped box. I feel like they are shipping a Honus Wagner T206. I think that this is their way of justifying the high shipping charges that they put upon us.

On the the selling end, I use a small piece of scotch tape on the top loader to prevent the card from slipping out. I have received mixed reviews. Most people seem to be content but there are a few who hate trying to remove the tape. I am not sure how to satisfy all.

I hear about this painters blue tape. Is that the way to go?

Ease
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I'd rather it be taped up solid and secure than loose. I know how to use a blade.

t206blogcom
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I'd rather it be taped up solid and secure than loose. I know how to use a blade.

+1

Exhibitman
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
What I can't stand is when the seller uses a lot of tape but too small of a cardboard or holder so that the edges of the card are right up near the tape. Opening one of those is a nightmare.

The worst of all are the non-collector sellers who take saran wrap or something similar, wrap the card tightly in it, tape the wrap closed, then tape it down to cardboard. Getting one of those out all but guarantees corner damage.

Jewish-collector
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't you just love when a seller puts a card loose in the envelope with nothing to protect it ? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

kilo
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

+2

auggiedoggy
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Am I the only one that hates receiving a card that is heavily taped?

I find it easier to bust open a Beckett slab than cutting through all the tape.

Note to sellers: Stop with the tape!!! Tape offers no protection to the card(s). If you must tape, use blue painters tape.

I'm mostly a buyer but when I do sell I send out the raw cards in a tobacco-sized top-loader sandwiched between thick cardboard and yes it is well taped but not to the extent where the buyer feels like he is breaking into Fort Knox. Then I ship it in a bubble wrap envelope. My cards ALWAYS arrive safe and undamaged and I know my buyers appreciate it. :D

Tcards-Please
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Don't you just love when a seller puts a card loose in the envelope with nothing to protect it ? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That takes care of the tape issue ;)

r/
Frank

39special
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
I always use masking (painters) tape.Having painted cars for the last 30+ years I have access to all kinds.I use either blue,green or yellow.They seem to hold the best,and is easy to remove.

deadballfreaK
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I got a group of cards today with a rubber band around them. Luckily they were beaters already.

SMPEP
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I agree, put enough tape to ensure the package stays closed ... but I have literally gotten puffy envelopes, entirely wrapped in tape (top, bottom, and sides), and then you finally open it up ... and find whatever's inside wrapped in more tape.

If it takes me 10 minutes to open your package, you've put too much tape on it!

Common sense is unfortunately not common.

Cheers,
Patrick

Runscott
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM

My favorite is 1800's cabinet cards stuck loosely in an envelope, without even a 'do not bend' or 'fragile' notation on the envelope.

As far as too much tape, I haven't had any complaints yet, but now I wonder. I just fold a piece of cardboard over the encased card (top loader or TPA case), then cover all edges with tape. I do this because I'm concerned about moisture if the package gets soaked. Probably an invalid fear.

Perhaps we should have a packing contest, where each person shows photos of how the do it? Then we could have customers vote on their preference.

novakjr
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
but I have literally gotten puffy envelopes, entirely wrapped in tape (top, bottom, and sides), and then you finally open it up ... and find whatever's inside wrapped in more tape.

If it takes me 10 minutes to open your package, you've put too much tape on it!

Common sense is unfortunately not common.

Cheers,
Patrick

Those are the worst... dealing with entire bubble mailer covered. then sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard, also completely covered. Then once managing to get through all of that, finding that the card is in a semi-rigid holder that is also taped shut, with the card having moved up and partially out of the holder and now also stuck to the tape...

atx840
04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
This just showed up, mailer - envelope - box - slightly bigger box. $22 well spent :(

http://i.imgur.com/KovWSqg.jpg

Runscott
04-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Chris, I just sent Goldin $19.95 + insurance for a single PSA-slabbed card, so I'm expecting something similar to what you received today.

I don't even question shipping anymore - I just factor 2X what's reasonable into my bid.

buymycards
04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Howard, I don't like tape on the toploader because sometimes the card moves around and the top of the card gets stuck to the tape.

I put the toploader in a team bag, then tape the team bag. It's cheap and fast and seems to work well.

Rick

tjb1952tjb
04-10-2013, 12:53 AM
I always use masking (painters) tape.Having painted cars for the last 30+ years I have access to all kinds.I use either blue,green or yellow.They seem to hold the best,and is easy to remove.

Painter's tape (blue, green, or yellow) is the way to go. Secures card, and is removed very easily with no residue. I wish all sellers would use it.

teetwoohsix
04-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Nice card Chris !! :)

On a side note...I've found that I can remove the sticky residue from those little colored dot stickers and price tag stickers on the slabs with a very small amount of WD40 on a dry washcloth (very small amount!!), and then wipe it again with a dry clean cloth. Works like a charm :D

Sincerely, Clayton

the 'stache
04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Hi Howard, I don't like tape on the toploader because sometimes the card moves around and the top of the card gets stuck to the tape.

I put the toploader in a team bag, then tape the team bag. It's cheap and fast and seems to work well.

Rick

On the rare occasion when I'm sending a card, this is what I do.

If I were ever out of team bags, I'd still tape the top loader shut, but I'd put a piece of paper over the top of the top loader first, and then tape over that. The card is held securely inside, and there's no chance the card will come in contact with tape while being shipped.

It takes so little to do it the right way, and protect somebody's investment. It's worth doing the right way.