PDA

View Full Version : who's the biggest collector nerd here game!

milkit1
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I thought I'd try a new game called who's the biggest collector nerd here. Rules are simple:
Anyone wanting to compete should state specifically why they deserve the honor. Can be in story and/or picture form.
Said person should contribute a beater pre ww2 card.
After a week we vote. You type your user name and whom you think should win. You can't vote for yourself.
Winner gets all the beaters.

Ill start:
I am currently playing a COMPLETE 1910 season of Stratomatic. I've created custom cards of every player with a printed picture of them. I play during my downtime ar work and am currently on game 105. I started dec 31 2010 so I should be finished around early 2014. Currently donie bush has 93 steals!
Ok there's the standard for which you have to beat.

Ill be contributing a 1933 goudey beater.
Hopefully we get a lot of contestants, someone could be in for a great prize of quite a few cards!

brewing
04-09-2013, 10:02 AM
You have me beat.

milkit1
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Have I set the bar too high?

Cardboard Junkie
04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I am 62 years old. I don't have a job. I don't have a vehicle, I don't own a T.V., and I haven't been off island in 10 years, but I really don't have time for this, (gotta get back to my cards). :)Dave (Cardboard Junkie). ps I could contribute a beat 34/36 batter-up.

milkit1
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Woh, pictures are definitely helping lol. Thanks dave! :)

bn2cardz
04-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Have I set the bar too high?

I don't think you set it too high since you didn't show how you were a collector nerd, but rather a baseball fanatic. On the other hand though I know there are people on here that by reading previous posts have set the bar to high if they decide to chime in.

milkit1
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I created custom cards, is that not collector enough?

bn2cardz
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I created custom cards, is that not collector enough?

No offense but no, not in my opinion. Baseball nerd? Yes. But when I think of collectors I think of people that acquire things that were produced by outside means.

Again, I don't mean to offend but by just that post I don't think you would win. I, too, have made my own baseball cards and sit and read through baseball stats for comparative purposes and set up my own formulas but none of that would make me a collector nerd, just a baseball nerd so I don't feel I could compete with those who have researched enough to write a book or have started websites that compile information for the rest of the collecting world. Just my 2 cents.

Leon
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
ok....so a lot of us baseball card collectors have been baseball players in our lives. I am currently into (softball) and have been into baseball all my life. Many of us might remember the one major, break out thing in their career. Well, mine was 1974 in Nasa Area Little League...which is Clear Lake City (where Nasa is) and just south of Houston. Our regular little league team had our whole infield make the All Star Team that year. I was fortunate to be the 2nd best batter in the league that year, right behind a guy named Pat Ray. So our All Star team made it all the way through Bi-District and went to the Texas state finals. We got to stay a whole week in the girls dormitories at Baylor University in Waco (it was summer so no girls were there, nats) ...At any rate we won our first game and if we won 3 more we would go to the National Tournament. We faced a team from LaGrange that had a pitcher who was 6'1" tall. I never forgot his name, Marvin Marburger. They beat us in that 2nd game in the tournament and went onto win the State title that year. I don't think they won the National title but were in the running. When I saw this postcard recently on ebay I had to have it. I couldn't believe I saw this after 39 yrs.....Marvin is the tall guy in the center of the back row...I think I went something like 1-3 off of him. He was good. How many collectors have a card with a background like that?

Cardboard Junkie
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Pretty Cool Leon!:)

milkit1
04-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Nice leon! You should throw a card into the kitty with that picture! :)

npa589
04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
For some reason, this great thread reminded me of this (more the second half of the clip) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDpQubfmpM

Runscott
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Leon, simply the fact that you collected a card of a team you played against in Little League, is pretty nerdy.

I've got a photo somewhere of me in a little league uniform, but I would never post it - still remember mom making me pose for it before a game....but not as bad as the one of me in an astronaut costume where the helmet was made from an ice cream carton :(

...I ain't playing in this contest.

Tao_Moko
04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Leon, simply the fact that you collected a card of a team you played against in Little League, is pretty nerdy.

I've got a photo somewhere of me in a little league uniform, but I would never post it - still remember mom making me pose for it before a game....but not as bad as the one of me in an astronaut costume where the helmet was made from an ice cream carton :(

...I ain't playing in this contest.

Sean - You are a nerd in my book good buddy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! However, I vote for Scott eventhough he's not "playing". I think having a link of your pre WWI baseball history research underneath your signature throws the name in the hat.

Well, I have Chicago Cub pajamas which I'm pretty sure is nerdy.

deadballfreaK
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Sean - You are a nerd in my book good buddy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! However, I vote for Scott eventhough he's not "playing". I think having a link of your pre WWI baseball history research underneath your signature throws the name in the hat.

I am pretty nerdy and thinking about entering, but Cub pajamas? That is hard to top. I could understand Cardinal pajamas. I'm wearing my David Freese Tshirt to bed tonight.

npa589
04-09-2013, 06:29 PM

How much for the Cub pajamas?

:D

Heh

milkit1
04-09-2013, 07:04 PM
To enter with pajamas you must provide pics! Heck I might even provide the card for that!

Tao_Moko
04-09-2013, 07:49 PM
To enter with pajamas you must provide pics! Heck I might even provide the card for that!

I'll throw an E254 Zimmerman in to play. If it comes down to the wire then I might attach a pic to win the group of beaters. I'm sure my wife would be proud to have a pic of me in my jammies sorting through my cards posted on the web.

milkit1
04-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Yes! Thanks eric! Well now we have three players?

deadballfreaK
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
I'll throw an E254 Zimmerman in to play. If it comes down to the wire then I might attach a pic to win the group of beaters. I'm sure my wife would be proud to have a pic of me in my jammies sorting through my cards posted on the web.

If they are footie pajamas, then you have my vote and I'll throw in a card.

milkit1
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
haha thanks ken, you can play too ya know!

pariah1107
04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive,[4]

Check, check, check..... Have microfiche at home... check, check, check....

No cards to show, but I can share my spreadsheet for batting averages from the 1920-31 Yakima-Kittitas Semi-Pro League. :D

milkit1
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Ha ha Ty! are you coming in? Make it official! :)

Cardboard Junkie
04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Dang! I thought more would play. After all, we are all "nerds" let's just find the biggest one! I vote for Flavious..........oh wait! David:)

milkit1
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah so far I think there's two contestants : /

Cardboard Junkie
04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Well since we can't vote for ourselves....we might end up trading a beat goudey for a beat batter-up! ha ha:D

milkit1
04-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Haha. Lamest turnout for a game ever. Oh well thanks for trying david :)

npa589
04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I think your idea was great Sean, but the language needs to change!

First of all, change the word "game" to "contest", and more people will immediately begin to flock if only for some sort of competition. Then, you have to include a prize of course!
"The Biggest Collector Nerd Contest (with a prize!)"
The prize could be, well, what else, a Pre-war baseball card - or one of those certificates you print out for kids in elementary school declaring: "The Winner of the Net54 Biggest Collector Nerd", and then take an image of it and imprint it on a Net54 shirt that would be proudly worn at the upcoming NSCC.

frankbmd
04-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I think your idea was great Sean, but the language needs to change!

First of all, change the word "game" to "contest", and more people will immediately begin to flock if only for some sort of competition. Then, you have to include a prize of course!
"The Biggest Collector Nerd Contest (with a prize!)"
The prize could be, well, what else, a Pre-war baseball card - or one of those certificates you print out for kids in elementary school declaring: "The Winner of the Net54 Biggest Collector Nerd", and then take an image of it and imprint it on a Net54 shirt that would be proudly worn at the upcoming NSCC.

Sean,

I agree. For just a game I took a pass. Now if it had been a contest, you would have had a picture of me in my baseball pajamas, my CPAP mask and a baseball cap looking at cards before falling asleep.:D:eek::D

milkit1
04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Haha thanks nate!
I was hoping that people wouldn't mind contributing a cheapie card to the kitty but evidentally not. Oh well. Hey actually you might of just won this game nate! Lol :)

Runscott
04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I would vote for Ted Z - anyone who still has his cards that he pulled in 1947, AND has a bread wrapper that they would have come in? That's a collector nerd.

milkit1
04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I agree scott. Teds checklists alone make him worthy of the title. I mean thjs in a good way though :)

Cardboard Junkie
04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey Sean! Since I think it is still just you and me. It's ok with me if you want to start over and make it a contest instead of a game. :) Dave.

Tao_Moko
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Hey Sean! Since I think it is still just you and me. It's ok with me if you want to start over and make it a contest instead of a game. :) Dave.

Hey! Why am I left out? I offered a card up and my geekdom.

Cardboard Junkie
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
pic?

obcbobd
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Not a nerd now, but I used to be.

Thats a 1970 Topps Reggie Smith nestled between the buttons on my shirt.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10762

3rd grade end of school party. I brought in cards for everyone in the class, I had so many 1971 dups
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10761

Finally, my first T206 - Abbaticchio. 75 cents from Gerogetown Cards in conn.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10760

As you can see, I'm not the only nerd in my family!

milkit1
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi eric! Sorry we missed ya! Yeah if someone wants to start a new thread up that would be fine with me. I can repost my story

milkit1
04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Bob!
That t206 pic is priceless! :)

Tao_Moko
04-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Not a nerd now, but I used to be.

Thats a 1970 Topps Reggie Smith nestled between the buttons on my shirt.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10762

3rd grade end of school party. I brought in cards for everyone in the class, I had so many 1971 dups
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10761

Finally, my first T206 - Abbaticchio. 75 cents from Gerogetown Cards in conn.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=10760

As you can see, I'm not the only nerd in my family!

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

CW
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Wow, Bob, you might win this thread with those pictures! I can't believe they all feature cards in them, too. Classic! :D

While we're sharing nerdy pictures, here's one of me circa '78, complete with plaid pants, Star Wars t-shirt, and bowl haircut. I am also now just realizing that I have a very large head. :o

Cardboard Junkie
04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=CW;1116770]Wow, Bob, you might win this thread with those pictures! I can't believe they all feature cards in them, too. Classic! :D

While we're sharing nerdy pictures, here's one of me circa '78, complete with plaid pants, Star Wars t-shirt, and bowl haircut. I am also now just realizing that I have a very large head.] Gotta put all those brains somewhere!:D Dave.

milkit1
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I think we have too many winners :p

CW
04-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Wow, Bob, you might win this thread with those pictures! I can't believe they all feature cards in them, too. Classic! :D

While we're sharing nerdy pictures, here's one of me circa '78, complete with plaid pants, Star Wars t-shirt, and bowl haircut. I am also now just realizing that I have a very large head.

Gotta put all those brains somewhere!:D Dave.

:D That is correct! ;)