PDA

View Full Version : Another Joe D "is it real thread"

whitehse
04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I have had this DiMaggio auto since the late 70's and I was curious as to what the feeling is of the experts here. I would be grateful for any opinions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/mchenrycards/sportscards/fc47c077-4de0-4a34-a2a1-b906aed39183_zpseffd9c91.jpg

shelly
04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Real. The reason for its being good, is that its not a forgery.

HRBAKER
04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Real. The reason for its being good, is that its not a forgery.

A tautology!

Sean1125
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Here is an authentic Joe Dimaggio autograph for you to compare to.

This also has best wishes. It is a later year than yours though...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/sean11251/Romolt%20Collection/2013-03-04_12-32-19_686_zps6da92391.jpg

shelly
04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
That is a good as the other one. Or am I missing something.:confused:

Sean1125
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
That is a good as the other one. Or am I missing something.:confused:

Just giving an authentic reference for "best wishes". I believe the one posted to be good as well.

Sean

shelly
04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
By the way nice autograph. I am sure your daughter was very happy. I dont think Joe would have done it for an adult.:)

Sean1125
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
By the way nice autograph. I am sure your daughter was very happy. I dont think Joe would have done it for an adult.:)

This was for Joe D's agent's granddaughter. From what I've been told not many people got scripts from Joe unless they were very close to him.

whitehse
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This was a through the mail autograph I sent back in the late 70's and I had a few tell me it was good and one that told me it was not. I did send it to PSA/DNA a number of years ago and it passed but with all the TPG issues I have seen on these boards I wanted to ask the real experts.

Thank you for your time.

David Atkatz
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
This was for Joe D's agent's granddaughter. From what I've been told not many people got scripts from Joe unless they were very close to him.How much did she have to pay the greedy prick?

Mr. Zipper
04-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This was a through the mail autograph I sent back in the late 70's and I had a few tell me it was good and one that told me it was not. I did send it to PSA/DNA a number of years ago and it passed but with all the TPG issues I have seen on these boards I wanted to ask the real experts.

In all due respect, does anyone really think PSA is going to screw up a personalized Joe DiMaggio signed card? The hyper-critical attitude toward the TPAs is getting to be a bit much around here. What's next? PSA approved the personalized HOF plaque I obtained directly from Bob Feller... Is it really authentic?!?

Sean1125
04-09-2013, 06:30 AM
How much did she have to pay the greedy prick?

The story behind it is that Jerry never asked for Joe to sign anything... So when Joe asked him to sign things for him he just told him "write whatever you want" because he didn't actually care for the autograph. I have two of the personalized signatures signed shortly after the Bat deal.

RichardSimon
04-09-2013, 08:37 AM
In all due respect, does anyone really think PSA is going to screw up a personalized Joe DiMaggio signed card? The hyper-critical attitude toward the TPAs is getting to be a bit much around here. What's next? PSA approved the personalized HOF plaque I obtained directly from Bob Feller... Is it really authentic?!?

Did you really get it from Feller? :).
Feller used to have an elderly friend(?) who might have been his agent, I was never sure. The guy traveled the card show circuit with Feller. I did not know his real name but because he wore a ten gallon hat everyone called him "The Cowboy." He would cruise the show rooms asking autograph dealers if they wanted to buy some autographs,, "I have Maris, etc." was his line. If he got a positive response from a dealer he would then go out to his car and return to the room with his autographs. I never saw him return to the room with one authentic autograph. Dealers in the room would approach my table and ask me if "this item which just walked in" is authentic. I don't think he had much luck peddling his crap but he was closely connected to Feller. I saw him at several local NYC shows and one year at a National.

whitehse
04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Let me just first say that I do not have a hyper critical attitude about TBGs but I know many do in this hobby. I rarely if ever use them but in he case of my DiMaggio, I wanted to know for sure if it was real or not so I sent it off to PSA/DNA.

As to the comment about really thinking if PSA would screw up a DiMaggio autograph, let me ask you this question. Do you really thing PSA/DNA would screw up a Mark McGwire autograph? All one needs to do is read about the McGwire rubber stamped card that PSA/DNA got wrong to know that it would be very easy for a TPG to get something as simple as a DiMaggio auto wrong. (I tried finding an image but my work computer would not allow me to find much atthis time).

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=80292

I came here because I respect the experts here much more than I do a TPG. This was my only reason for doing so.