PDA

View Full Version : Tris Speaker Autographed Program/Scorecard

ATP
04-07-2013, 09:14 PM
In an effort to bring folks back to rational autograph discussions, I am posting this piece for conversation. I have been kicking around buying it for over a year. I have my opinions on authenticity, what are yours and why? If you think it is authentic, what are your thoughts as to value? Help me pull the trigger...or not...on this piece. Thanks!

mighty bombjack
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Before even looking at the autos, I have to ask about the piece. Do you have a fuller photo or scan? Are there other autos on it?

I ask because it looks very suspicious to see three HOF autos spaced perfectly like that on a program. They usually have names scattered all over them, at different angles, and usually with more than just star names.

ATP
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I do have a scan of the back of the scorecard somewhere but there really isn't anything pertinent to the reverse that I remember. The only scan I have of the front is the one I posted, I believe the only signatures on it are the Sisler, Traynor, and Speaker. The owner of the item lives a couple hundred miles from me so the best I could get last year were these cell phone photos. Nothing being held back, this is just the only info I have to make a decision so I am hoping to elect the opinions of others.

HRBAKER
04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Before even looking at the autos, I have to ask about the piece. Do you have a fuller photo or scan? Are there other autos on it?

I ask because it looks very suspicious to see three HOF autos spaced perfectly like that on a program. They usually have names scattered all over them, at different angles, and usually with more than just star names.

Plus the signatures seem to be executed in a darker pen than the game was scored.

ATP
04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I concur, it does look like a different pen than the scoring was completed in. As far as only those three on it, I have seen other items with just them before. As far as the aging goes, it appears to be "after" of on top of the autos, but hard to tell from just the scan. Thoughts on the signatures themselves?

Bosox Blair
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
The Speaker looks 100% good to me (not an autograph expert, but I have looked at a lot of Speakers over the last year - hundreds).

Plus, this just seems a very unlikely fake...not a real premium item...partial damage to the sig...why would anyone do that?

Cheers,
Blair

GrayGhost
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Isn't that an unusual combination? What kind of game, etc is this from?

Signature wise, I personally LIKE all three tho. FWIW

ATP
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I was able to locate a scan of the other side of the program that I had saved, but it is fairly low quality. The advertisements on it place it to Pittsburgh, it looks like it was against Philadelphia (American League?).

prewarsports
04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Sigs look fine and were obviously signed before the crease/wear to the program which would be almost impossible to forge after the fact. As for value, its tough because none of them are particulary scarce so people can afford to be picky about the items they want. Speaker is by far the best, but also has the crease/damage. The lines from the scorecard also make it a little unattractive.

Having said that, it is still a nice piece that would be desired by many people. If it were mine I would "ask" in the $300-$400 range for the piece and I bet you sell it for somewhere in that range.

Rhys

bigtrain
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Looks to be Phillies vs. Pirates as you can see the ads are for Pittsburgh companies and the lineup features Richie Ashburn and Bob Bowman (Phillies). Any date on the program? It appears to feature an ad for what could be a 1957 or 1958 Dodge. Speaker died of a heart attack in December 1958. Program could be from 1956 or 57. In 1958, I'm guessing they probably would have pictured and advertised the new 1959 car model.

ATP
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Thank you for the feedback posted. I, of course, feel that it is authentic as I have been trying to purchase it from the owner for awhile now. I appreciate people taking the time to weigh in, perhaps I will purchase it at some point.

RichardSimon
04-12-2013, 06:20 AM
OP - it is not among the easiest pieces to sell so if you wait out the guy you should be able to get it at a reasonable price (like has been mentioned in the earlier post).

ATP
04-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have had a standing offer in on it for $300 for some time now. The owner feels it is worth quite a bit more, but I think I will just leave the offer as is and perhaps he will come around.