PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Tomman1961
04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
My home owner's policy will not cover my cards, yearbooks, etc. They will if I pay more as a rider on the policy. Shopping my life insurance just this week,I brought up the subject to the Prudential rep. He says they will cover everything that my current policy covers, plus my collection at no extra cost. He just wants pictures of my collection. Does that sound right? If so, how in the world do I take pictures of 40 albums worth of cards?
Thoughts?
Opinions?

HRBAKER
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
My experience is that you will never agree on a replacement value as a part of your regular HO policy. Save yourself the trouble and get a collectibles policy. I tried to go this route once and my company (very large national company) wanted me to videotape every card and provide receipts.

Bestdj777
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
I would treat it like you were selling the collection. Take pictures of the albums themselves from an angle where you can tell they are full, then take a picture of the highlights from your collection.

conor912
04-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Yes, proving that you have what you say you have is normal. Photos and receipts/invoices are just about always required for insurance policies. This goes for non-collectible itemized policies as well (I.e. wedding rings, etc). It's an extremely good idea to keep a list of the serial numbers on flips of graded cards as well. I know a couple people who were able to recoup stolen cards via flip verification.

queencitysportscards
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Check out: www.collectinsure.com

dabigyankeeman
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I open my albums so that a two page spread is showing, and take a picture, then turn the page, and take a picture, and so on and so on.

I only take about 1/3 of my collection this way, the older more valuable stuff. The other stuff i just list what i have in basics, and i dont worry about getting much for them if i have a fire or something. Most people will have most of their value in just a small part of their collection, thats what to really get pictures of. I do take one overall shot showing all my albums in the bookcase.

I use COLLECTIBLES INSURANCE COMPANY, see the link in the post above me.

Tomman1961
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone.
Arnie-Great point. Probably most of my value is a small volume of my collection. I will look into everyone's suggestions as to what/how to do.
Tom