PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Yankees and Red Sox Autographs Real or Clubhouse?

twinsfan1983
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Hello, This is my first post/thread. I have an autograph book that I purchased a couple of years ago which contains the 1941 Yankees and Red Sox. I have looked at a lot of autographs but can't tell if they are real or clubhouse signatures so maybe somebody can tell. I believe the Joe McCarthy is a clubhouse signature but beyond that I am not sure. I have attached pictures for each of the teams of the signatures that I have.

Thanks for your help, Chris

RichardSimon
04-07-2013, 07:07 AM
The clubhouse guy who signed these pages did not even know how to spell some of the players names.

bender07
04-07-2013, 07:14 AM
I like that the clubhouse guy put "Gordon Flash", Joe's nickname except a little out of order. I haven't seen many albums that look to be completely clubhouse signed! Kinda cool that someone made the effort to fulfill the autograph request. Although it would have been a lot cooler if the actual players signed!

RichardSimon
04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
It is rare to find an autograph book with clubhouse signatures. Usually the book was stuck in the face of the signer who would then oblige or not.
I am always happy to find old time autograph books but we have seen a couple of examples here recently that have been questionable (one thing they had in common was a horrid Earle Combs, this one spelled it Earl) and that is very unusual.
And J. Selkrik was a laugh too.

Deertick
04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
This is a nice example of an instance where you can look at the whole piece to get your answer. Hold it at arms length and don't look at the individual signatures, just look at it as a whole. Many things will jump out at you. I find it to be a good first step, and in this case, last step. :)

Just like in those picture games we did as a kid, circle the similarities. I hope this made some sense....