PDA

View Full Version : Well, I waited long enough...

OTWCards
04-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I lurked and lingered for nearly 4 years and haven't been an overly active poster. However, since I recently got punted across the street for a "pissing contest" comment, I'll probably become more active here. I promise to be less of a pest while here (I had a few targets at CU that were the primary complainers that lead to my demise -- I see that they came here and didn't linger too long as their schtick quickly wore thin).

A few of the members here already know me, but If I tick anyone off, just drop me a PM and voice your concern. I'm actually pretty reasonable although I tend to be opinionated and sarcastic. Regardless, I rarely mean any harm and sometimes an inside joke may appear a little more harsh than it really is.

I've collected a wide array of things over more than 40 years of collecting and my primary focus now is vintage football (N302, cabinets, wire photos and unopened) and some eclectic baseball and hockey items that I either find intriguing or think have some long term upside.

I attend the National annually and spend virtually the entire week walking the floor buying for my employer and a few things on my "list."

While I'm not part of the T206 club, I've always loved and appreciated the issue and enjoy learning more about it from the postings here.

A bit of my history includes having been a Senior grader for SGC (1998-2000), being responsible for the M116 Philly Find in 2002, building the #1 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (on the PSA Registry) and way too frequently being the under-bidder on many auction items that I've wanted over the years.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a more active poster and contributor to the site and if anyone ever has any questions or issues, my PM is always open!

Zone91
04-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Welcome!!!:)

Leon
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Welcome aboard Scott. If you get booted from here you know you have some issues :). You can join the ranks of the hundreds of sarcastic collectors on this board, me included. My guess is you know a ton of people on our site already but If I can ever help just PM me and I will always try. Happy Collecting.

OTWCards
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM
My guess is you know a ton of people on our site already

A ton? So would that be ten 200 pounders, eight 250 pounders, four 500 pounders or just fourteen 150 pounders? I think I may have that covered... ;)

nolemmings
04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
A ton? So would that be ten 200 pounders, eight 250 pounders, four 500 pounders or just fourteen 150 pounders? I think I may have that covered...

If not, I 'll make a point of introducing myself in Chicago--that should help considerably in your getting to a ton.

I tend to be opinionated and sarcastic

I strongly believe these descriptors are overused.

While I'm not part of the T206 club

REJOICE!!! And the crowd went wild!!!!

Welcome to a fellow frequent underbidder.

Leon
04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
A ton? So would that be ten 200 pounders, eight 250 pounders, four 500 pounders or just fourteen 150 pounders? I think I may have that covered... ;)

In our hobby it won't be 150 pounders. Of the options given I will go with the four 500 pounders.

brick
04-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I find your post to be insightful and generally helpful regardless of which board. PSAs loss is Net54s gain.

EvilKing00
04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
welcome !

Craig M
04-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Scott,

"Senior grader for SGC (1998-2000)".

What a great opportunity to ask you a couple of questions:

1) What is your point of view on re-slabbing?

2) To prevent re-slabbing in the future (throwing off pop reports); do you anticipate the grading companies to insert an invisible to naked eye (red dye trace) so that when a card comes in to be graded; it will be seen that it has been graded before and therefore rejected back to owner?

Regards,

Craig

OTWCards
04-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Scott,

"Senior grader for SGC (1998-2000)".

What a great opportunity to ask you a couple of questions:

1) What is your point of view on re-slabbing?

2) To prevent re-slabbing in the future (throwing off pop reports); do you anticipate the grading companies to insert an invisible to naked eye (red dye trace) so that when a card comes in to be graded; it will be seen that it has been graded before and therefore rejected back to owner?

Regards,

Craig

Craig:

To address your questions, and this is my opinion only (MOO):

1. It has become a necessary evil. The arbitrary aspect and inconsistency that exists in TPG affords too much loss/gain by not cracking and resubbing "undergraded" examples.

2. I do not anticipate any TPG making any effort to identify or discourage resubbing or reslabbing of the same card. It is both a profit center and the nature of the beast and it appears the groundrules are pretty much established in that respect.

Eric72
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Scott,

Considering the length of time you have been a member here, it seems just a bit awkward "welcoming" you to the board. Having said that, I wish you the very best of luck in all of your collecting endeavors.

Sincerely,

Eric

auggiedoggy
04-07-2013, 04:03 PM
A few of the members here already know me, but If I tick anyone off, just drop me a PM and voice your concern. I'm actually pretty reasonable although I tend to be opinionated and sarcastic. Regardless, I rarely mean any harm and sometimes an inside joke may appear a little more harsh than it really is.

Opinions and sarcasm are two things I offer for free, whether asked for or not! :D

Rich Klein
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
And for a couple of reasons, one of my favorite people in the hobby -- if you ever need more details on why, please PM me -- but I'll vouch for Scott anytime

Rich