PDA

View Full Version : T213-2 Soak

buymycards
04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi, a couple of months ago I bought a T213-2 on ebay. When I received the card I noticed that the back was upside down. I put some scans on the board and the consensus was that there were two cards together. I have never soaked a card before, but I gave it a shot tonight and the results are very interesting.

The first two scans are of the front and back before soaking.

The next two scans are from after the soak - the front and the reverse of the front.

The next two are after soak scans - the back and the reverse of the back.

The last two scans are after soak scans of the item that was in the middle - giving the card the appearance that two cards were stuck together. There was a lot of glue stuck to both sides of the middle piece.

So, what is going on? Why was this piece of a book or newspaper stuck in between the front and the back? Why was the back on upside down? The original back had a lot of paper stuck to it. Did the front, along with the middle, get pulled from a scrapbook and the back was pulled from another part of a scrapbook and glued to the front? Did someone do this on purpose to give the illusion of an upside down back to make the card more valuable?

Bridwell
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi Rick,
That would be a lot of tampering on such a poor condition card to begin with. I'd guess that some kid ripped apart a scrap book and eventually glued some pieces back together. The front piece and the back piece were so fragile that he put a piece in between for stability. Maybe just some kid messing around with a card that wasn't worth much. He didn't care about the back so it didn't matter that it was on upside down.

buymycards
04-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi Ron, I think you are right. I was hoping there would be two cards, but it was a fun and interesting project and I learned how to soak cards.

Rick

RCMcKenzie
04-07-2013, 07:23 PM

I have only soaked 1 T213-2 and this was the result. The front faded very badly. It had a nice front with scotch tape on the back. I soaked it in room temperature water for awhile with no help so, as I recall, I placed it in a pot on the stove and boiled it for 15 minutes and the tape came off.

Maybe the boiling part stripped the lacquer off the front, because the one Rick is showing looks like it came through the soak with only minor, if any, fading.

buymycards
04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I used warm tap water - not hot. I put a quarter on the card and let it soak for about an hour. The adhesive and paper slid right off. I think boiling could create some problems.

RCMcKenzie
04-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Rick,

The T213 Davis had full color after the boil, but I placed it between notebook paper with a phonebook on top and saw it badly faded 2 days later. Your test run has encouraged me to run some more tests on T213-2 beaters with stuff on the back that I have.

Cheers