PDA

View Full Version : Candidate for a soak?

Eric72
04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry for the blurry image. I don't have one of those new-fangled scanners that creates crisp pictures of graded cards.

Anyway, it appears that there is a sticker of some sort on this T206. There is also a back stamp.

I have never soaked a card before and am a bit apprehensive about doing so. Having said that, I am intrigued at the possibility that a good soak may drastically improve the appearance of this card. For those who may not be able to read the factory designation, it is, "FACTORY No. 649. 1ST DIST. N.Y."

Ultimately, my question is this...will soaking affect the back stamp?

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/Davis_Back_cropped_zps1688880e.jpg

Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Best Regards,

Eric

T205 GB
04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Let it take a bath in warm water. The sticker should come right off. The hard part is drying it

Eric72
04-05-2013, 08:02 PM
The sticker should come right off. The hard part is drying it

Andrew,

I figured the sticker would come off. Any opinion regarding the back stamp?

Also, how does one dry a soaked card?

Best Regards,

Eric

EvilKing00
04-05-2013, 08:04 PM
i have also never soaked a card, BUT if your card in question, isnt a very expensive one, may as well do your first soak on it. GL

Eric72
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
i have also never soaked a card, BUT if your card in question, isnt a very expensive one, may as well do your first soak on it. GL

EK,

Thanks for wishing me good luck...at least, I think that's what, "GL" means. I am not too up-to-date regarding the abbreviations floating around on the Internet these days.

I am OK with the idea of cracking the card out of its holder and soaking it to remove the sticker. There is something else on the reverse, though, and I do not want to mess with that.

A stamp from P.B. White is on the back, too. If soaking the card will fade or distort this image, I definitely do not want to take that route.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

Eric

CobbSpikedMe
I would say there is a very good chance the stamp will bleed heavily into the paper if you soak it. Depending on how long it's in the water it could end up so blurred that you won't be able to read it anymore. I'll post a scan of one of my backstamps that shows this when I am able.

Thanks,

AndyH

Ease
Also, how does one dry a soaked card?

Blot the excess water with paper towels, place the card between some sheets of typing paper, put between two Straight 2x4 pieces of wood and put a 45lb weight or a 5 gallon bucket of water on top; wait a couple days, replacing the typing paper once or twice. That's what worked for me, there are many ways though, heavy books etc.

Eric72
04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I would say there is a very good chance the stamp will bleed heavily into the paper if you soak it. Depending on how long it's in the water it could end up so blurred that you won't be able to read it anymore. I'll post a scan of one of my backstamps that shows this when I am able.

Thanks,

AndyH

Andy,

Thanks for this info...it is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your scan, and hope you had a chance to view the PM I sent to you regarding this card.

Best,

Eric

Eric72
04-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Blot the excess water with paper towels, place the card between some sheets of typing paper, put between two Straight 2x4 pieces of wood and put a 45lb weight or a 5 gallon bucket of water on top; wait a couple days, replacing the typing paper once or twice. That's what worked for me, there are many ways though, heavy books etc.

Eric...it's Eric...pleasure to make your acquaintance:)

Thanks for the tips on drying the card.

I have seen recommendations such as this when soaking a card that has picked up extra "marks" that people would like to remove. Since one of these marks is something I would like to preserve, is it still prudent to leave the card soaking for days?

After all, I would hate to have P.B. White's stamp bleed all over the reverse. And I am not sure the "clay layer" would allow the stamp to react to a soak in the same way as the original printing.

Please let me know your thoughts on this front.

Best Regards,

Eric

Ease
04-05-2013, 09:47 PM
You've got a great first name :D
I don't know about the soaking for days part, I've only soaked cards for 5-6 hours at most. I do leave them in the typing paper between the 2x4's and under the weight for a couple days though, all have come out flat and dry.
If you're wanting to preserve the stamp, I wouldn't soak it, there's just too much of a chance it will bleed or come out completely.

CobbSpikedMe
04-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Eric,

Here are a couple examples of how the stamp might bleed if soaked. I bought these this way and didn't soak them myself so I don't know exactly how these stamps got wet, but you can see the results clearly enough.

Thanks,

AndyH

Eric72
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
You've got a great first name :D
I don't know about the soaking for days part, I've only soaked cards for 5-6 hours at most. I do leave them in the typing paper between the 2x4's and under the weight for a couple days though, all have come out flat and dry.
If you're wanting to preserve the stamp, I wouldn't soak it, there's just too much of a chance it will bleed or come out completely.

Eric...agreed...great first name:)

Sorry for misunderstanding the "wait a couple days" portion of your post. I was a tad too deep into a very enjoyable Friday evening when writing my reply:o

In any case, thank you very much for the advice regarding the back stamp. I truly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric72
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Eric,

Here are a couple examples of how the stamp might bleed if soaked. I bought these this way and didn't soak them myself so I don't know exactly how these stamps got wet, but you can see the results clearly enough.

Thanks,

AndyH

Andy,

What can I say?

:eek:

I will not be soaking the Davis.

Thank you very much for providing these photos.

And my sincerest thanks for those who weighed in here. Your input is truly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Eric