PDA

View Full Version : Are MK Old Judge cards collectible or are they looked down on?

Zone91
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I have a card in mind I want to purchase but it is slabbed graded bu miss cut (MK). Would appreciate the opinions of the experts here. By the way it is a hall of fame player.

04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I missed out on Peter Chao by a year or so, but I did go back and read what that crazy fella Archive said about him. You do a great impression.

AMBST95
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I have a card in mind I want to purchase but it is slabbed graded bu miss cut (MK). Would appreciate the opinions of the experts here. By the way it is a hall of fame player.

If you like it, buy it. My opinion on what you should enjoy is meaningless. Each has their own tastes.

Zone91
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I want to know before spending good money on a MK card. I could care less if it is a MK card but the day I come to sell my collection later on in life I will care if it just sits there and people do not collect MK cards.

I do not think it is a crazy thing to know what we are buying and not just spending with a blind eye that is why I ask these questions...money is money we have to work HARD for it so I try to be a smart buyer and know what I am doing....and in this situation I do not know what I am doing with a MK card for this specific set.

z28jd
04-05-2013, 04:26 PM
MK doesn't stand for Miss Kut, it means marking known, as in there is probably writing on the back

Zone91
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
z28jd

Did not know that. Thanks.:)

CobbSpikedMe
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
MK qualifiers really need to be evaluated on a card by card basis. Sometimes it is for the smallest little mark that you can't even find on the card and sometimes it is for writing all over the back. It's all over the place. I think there are collectors out there that don't want any qualifier for any reason and then there are some who don't care about them at all. It's really up to you.

When it comes to T206's, I'm a collector who is very into backstamps on the cards. These always get an MK qualifier and it doesn't bother me at all because I want the backstamp. Others don't like these stamps though. It's all just each collector's preference. To each his own.

Thanks

AndyH

Zone91
04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
CobbSpikedMe

Thanks...by the way there is a T206 for sale on Ebay right now with a ''stamp'' like you like to collect with a MK designation. Do not know if you saw it.

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/T206-Piedmont-Christy-Mathewson-White-Cap-PSA-1mk-/370189060397?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5630fcc92d

CobbSpikedMe
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks a lot for the link Zone. Unfortunately my pathetic card budget laughs at me when I consider buying a card for this much. :) Over the years I've become pretty good at picking up a nice variety of cards from several sets on this tiny budget though. :D

I'll be sure to add the image of this stamp to my backstamp project website if I don't have it already, so I'm still happy to be alerted to the card on eBay. I've got a few P.B.White stamp images already I think.

Best regards,

AndyH

Zone91
04-05-2013, 04:48 PM
CobbSpikedMe

Glad I could help for once here on this site!!!:)

jcmtiger
04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
If it is an Old Judge card I need I will buy any with marks on the back. The front of the Old Judge cards are what count.

Joe

Zone91
04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
jcmtiger

This set is complicated so many variables and so much openness on lower grades and MK cards and so on then on the other hand so much closeness for so many other reasons....I must say this is the most complicated set I have ever tried to dance with....and I am not much of a good dancer to start with...lollll!!!!

E93
04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Most OJ collectors don't care what the back looks like. They want strong images on the front. Third party grading scales are almost meaningless when it comes to N172s. They only occasionally match up with the desirability of the card to collectors.
JimB

Zone91
04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
E93

Thanks I guess that is how I will approach this set as well....the experts know better than I do.

CobbSpikedMe
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Agreed. From what I've learned about OJ collectors over the years is that the most important thing is the image on the front. A clear image with great contrast will always sell for premium regardless of the back. I've seen many examples of PSA 1's and SGC 10's that have amazing images and are very desirable. And I've seen many examples of higher grades that have terrible images (even images so faded you can barely see them). The lower grade with better image will sell better I think.

Zone91
04-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys this really clarifies things.

Zone91
04-05-2013, 05:26 PM

birdman42
04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
MK qualifiers really need to be evaluated on a card by card basis. Sometimes it is for the smallest little mark that you can't even find on the card and sometimes it is for writing all over the back. It's all over the place. I think there are collectors out there that don't want any qualifier for any reason and then there are some who don't care about them at all. It's really up to you.

Thanks

AndyH

True. And there are some "marks" that actually increase value. If you find a card with a Buck Barker stamp on the back, for example, many knowledgeable collectors will pay a (small) premium rather than discounting the value. There are also a couple old-time collectors with recognizable handwriting that made notes on the backs of cards, such as team changes, averages, etc. Those notes add to the card's value rather than subtract from it.

Bill

Eric72
04-05-2013, 07:18 PM
I'll be sure to add the image of this stamp to my backstamp project website if I don't have it already, so I'm still happy to be alerted to the card on eBay. I've got a few P.B.White stamp images already I think.

I was fortunate enough to receive a card with a P.B. White stamp through the 2012 Net54 Secret Santa Exchange.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/Davis_zpsee815a53.jpg

Andy, I will send you the full front and back images through PM, in case you don't already have scans of this particular example.

Sorry to inject a T206 reference into this thread. Please forgive me...and carry on, everyone.

Best,

Eric

cyseymour
04-05-2013, 09:35 PM
The thing with buying OJ's that have strong images but have been downgraded, primarily due to back damage, it is be careful and really study the card. I say this because the card could have other faults as well, such as creases or stains, etc., but since the grade has already been knocked down by the back damage, it wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the grade. So make sure you zoom in on the card and study it very carefully so there are no surprises once it arrives.

Also, I know that you are enthusiastic, but I still highly advise that you wait till REA so that you are going against knowledgeable bidders and not getting taken to the cleaners by some dealer. Cheers.

Matthew H
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
The thing with buying OJ's that have strong images but have been downgraded, primarily due to back damage, it is be careful and really study the card. I say this because the card could have other faults as well, such as creases or stains, etc., but since the grade has already been knocked down by the back damage, it wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the grade. So make sure you zoom in on the card and study it very carefully so there are no surprises once it arrives.

Also, I know that you are enthusiastic, but I still highly advise that you wait till REA so that you are going against knowledgeable bidders and not getting taken to the cleaners by some dealer. Cheers.

+1

If you keep hitting those eBay BINs you might burn yourself out. Be patient and try to get a good price here and there.

-Matt