PDA

View Full Version : How would you describe this cut?

auggiedoggy
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Below is a C55 card from my collection. I know posting a photo of a hockey card in a baseball forum is probably a no-no but the question here has to do with the actual cut of the card. I've seen cards from various sets cut in a similar fashion from time to time and I was wondering how this was done. I hesitate to call this a trim because card trimming is done to improve a card's appearance rather than the funky cut shown in the pic. If not a trim then could this be an example of a bad factory cut? Perhaps done late on a Friday before a long weekend? ;)

Would PSA even grade this card? Comments?

UPDATED: I've only seen this bizarre cut amongst Imperial Tobacco hockey and lacrosse cards.

sportscardpete
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I would say it was cut DURING a long weekend.

HRBAKER
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I'd say it has a slight chicane towards the bottom.

bcbgcbrcb
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
grade "Authentic"

gnaz01
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
One too many Labatt's or Molson :D

steve B
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
It's an unusual miscut.

There are a few causes with the same end result.

Debris in the stack of sheets
damage to the stack of sheets
Damage to the sacrificial strip the blade goes into after finishing the cut.

All three will bend the stack and cause an odd cut like that. Or a curved cut.

And it's not just C55s Here's a T206 with the same sort of cut on the top and bottom edges. Also slight creases/bends where the sheet was bent, but those don't scan well.

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=7029

auggiedoggy
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
One too many Labatt's or Molson :D

LOL.

All joking aside, who would intentionally cut a card this way? Is this simply a bad factory cut?

p.s. I have long since moved on from Molson and Labatt's. I go for those high falutin' Belgian beers these days. ;)

auggiedoggy
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
It's an unusual miscut.

There are a few causes with the same end result.

Debris in the stack of sheets
damage to the stack of sheets
Damage to the sacrificial strip the blade goes into after finishing the cut.

All three will bend the stack and cause an odd cut like that. Or a curved cut.

And it's not just C55s Here's a T206 with the same sort of cut on the top and bottom edges. Also slight creases/bends where the sheet was bent, but those don't scan well.

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=7029

Steve,

Thanks for the info!

In your opinion, would PSA assign a grade plus an MC qualifier or simply give it an "A" for authentic as someone has suggested?

steve B
04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd be surprised if they gave it a numerical grade. That sort of miscut isn't common and isn't something that's going to be understood by most collectors. There's enough stigma surrounding factory cut cards that are small beyond a certain point that slabbing such an odd cut as anything but "A" would just invite complaints of it being altered.

I know SGC won't slab odd cuts or cards that are undersize as other than "A". I've had one of each rejected since I check off the don't slab as "A" box. Sad, because they're really nice cards.

A sloppy trim to improve two corners would look similar on the short sides, less so on the long sides, but wouldn't have the right look to the cut.

Steve B

Bosox Blair
04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
I have a couple C60 Imperial Lacrosse cards with similar cuts. They were rejected by PSA as miscut (not trimmed), but they refused to slab them.

Cheers,
Blair

Jlighter
04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
SGC graded this numerically.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8327255217_a3056e4547_z.jpg

auggiedoggy
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
I have a couple C60 Imperial Lacrosse cards with similar cuts. They were rejected by PSA as miscut (not trimmed), but they refused to slab them.

Cheers,
Blair

Blair,

Was one of the miscut lacrosse cards a #41 (Frank Ronan) by any chance? I have had 5 or 6 of these cards in my collection and all but one were miscut. I also see most of the #41 Ronan's offered on eBay are miscut as well.

Coincidence or ... ?