PDA

View Full Version : Did my first crack and resubmit

bunst
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
My T206 Rudolph appeared to be much better than G, so I cracked it out of its SGC 30 holder and resubmitted for grading. It bumped up 3 full grades to SGC 60. Should there be this much inconsistancy from a professional grading company? Here is the before and after:

bobbyw8469
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Judging from the above scans, and without seeing the back, the '5' looked lke the right grade to begin with. The '2' was a head scratcher.

vintagetoppsguy
04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Should there be this much inconsistancy from a professional grading company?

No, there should not be. SGC had been my TPG of choice for several years, but recently I've been re-thinking that decision. I have similar crack and re-submit bumps, but not 3 full grades. Absolutely no excuse for that.

atx840
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Nicely done. A great example of buy the card not the slab :D

conor912
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Absolutely no excuse for that.

Agreed. I think one grade in either direction on any given day is an acceptable window. Three means someone was not on their A game (or B or C games, for that matter).

ullmandds
04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I agree with others opinions...1 grade either way is ok...but that is kinda crazy!!!! I know SGC seems to be grading more leniently the last year or two...maybe trying to compete more w/PSA...dunno...but congrats!!!

Ease
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Nicely done. A great example of buy the card not the slab :D

+1

I still remember when I did my first crack.....oh wait:p

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=147&pictureid=10627

npa589
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I think it's a craps shoot with either. The only reason it may seem like PSA screws up more is due to the fact that they DO screw up "more", but, I would surmise that this is not in an increased percentage of screw-ups, but only in quantity. PSA palpably grades many more cards than SGC...

My guess is that on that Rudolph there is very slight paper loss on the back that is sometimes determined as paper loss, and other times viewed as normal wear. Or, there was an erased pencil mark?

tothrk
04-02-2013, 12:46 PM
I can easily understand how this could happen. When my wife wakes up in the morning, she's a "2". By the time she's done getting ready to leave the house, she's a "5".

I'll most likely never be seen from again after this post so good luck with your collections.

Ease
04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I can easily understand how this could happen. When my wife wakes up in the morning, she's a "2". By the time she's done getting ready to leave the house, she's a "5".

I'll most likely never be seen from again after this post so good luck with your collections.

Post of the year candidate! Outstanding.

EvilKing00
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
always buy the card not the slab, and the card was deff an sgc 60, not the 30 first given. nice work.

bunst
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
My guess is that on that Rudolph there is very slight paper loss on the back that is sometimes determined as paper loss, and other times viewed as normal wear. Or, there was an erased pencil mark?

Since I bought it without seeing a back scan, I was expecting the back to be messed up. Pleasantly surprised that there was nothing wrong. No paper loss, erasures or marks. Took a chance and got lucky.

04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I hear that if you use the right eraser, SGC will open the slab for you, let you erase the offering mark, and reslab at a higher grade, all while you wait! ;)

Bridwell
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Nobody's perfect, even SGC. I've seen some cards badly overgraded by SGC as well. Such as creases, writing on back, rounded corners and still gets an SGC 30. Smart move to have it regraded!

glchen
04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
You want to know something? Sometimes I think misgrades like this are due to bad handwriting or the cards got mixed up. For example, the grader might have sloppily written down a 5 the first time it was graded, but the person who entered the flip into the computer, thought or mistyped it as a 2. One time I got two cards back from PSA, and Eddie Collins was put into a slab with a Bill Shawkey flip, and the very next card was Bill Shawkey slabbed with an Eddie Collins flip. So these things do get by quality control every now and then.

okmaybent@aol.com
04-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Hilarious.

auggiedoggy
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
My T206 Rudolph appeared to be much better than G, so I cracked it out of its SGC 30 holder and resubmitted for grading. It bumped up 3 full grades to SGC 60. Should there be this much inconsistancy from a professional grading company? Here is the before and after:

This is what drives me crazy about card grading!

I know graders are only human and prone to mistakes like everybody else but there should NEVER be a full 3 grade swing as you've illustrated here. Tiny flaws don't show up in scans but from what I can see, this card should never have been graded a "2". I think it got the grade it deserved on the re-grade.