PDA

View Full Version : Cards for Hal Goldsmith? for newspaper story

cubsguy1969
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi, everybody. Does anyone know if Hal Goldsmith appeared on a card (or cards)? I work at Newsday on Long Island and we're running a story on a small exhibit of early photographs of him. He was a Peconic native and played for the Boston Braves briefly in the 1920s. We'd love to have an image of him on a card to run with the story. Anyone have one? And if so, could you e-mail me a high-res scan? Either to robfouch@aol.com or robert.fouch@newsday.com. Here's part of the writeup on the exhibit from the historical society site. Any help would be appreciated. thanks! Rob

"Hal Goldsmith Baseball Photography Exhibit to Open April 6th"

SOUTHOLD, NY. The Southold Historical Society is pleased to announce that it will host an exhibition featuring photographs from the early baseball career of Harold E. Goldsmith (1898-1985), one of Southold's only professional baseball players. The exhibition, entitled ‘Hal Goldsmith: Early Baseball Photographs, 1916-1929' will be held at the Society’s exhibition building, The Reichert Family Center, in the Cosden Price Gallery.

A right-handed pitcher from Peconic, Long Island, Harold 'Hal' Goldsmith (1898-1985) was a St. Lawrence University graduate, and spent five years in the minor leagues before getting the call to join the Boston Braves in June of 1926. Some of the minor league teams he played for include the New Orleans Pelicans (1921), the Saginaw Aces (1922), the Providence Grays (1925-26), and the Newark Bears (1928-29).

He joined the Boston Braves - who later moved to Atlanta - in 1926 and played there through 1928, when he was sent to back to the minors. While playing for the Braves in 1928 he participated in a spring training game in Florida against the New York Yankees, where he struck out not only respected outfielder Bob Meusel, but also the infamous Babe Ruth. Goldsmith played in the minors until the fall of 1929 when he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals, but pitched just twice for the team before retiring as a player.

Butch7999
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
"Infamous"??
:confused:

z28jd
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIGtHhAfe8w

cubsguy1969
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, "infamous" is definitely an odd description. Not Newsday's word. :)
We ended up using a vintage photo on the cover, I believe. Wasn't my story. Just was trying to help out a colleague. Thanks.
Rob