PDA

View Full Version : Why Trim A Card Like This?

Tao_Moko
03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
http://tinyurl.com/cbxt3o8

I just won this Collins to replace a previously sold one that I regretted giving up. It's fugly as can be but what I wonder is why cards like this were trimmed so poorly. We've all seen examples like this so what are your guesses as to why?

Craig M
03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Eric,

I remember after graduating from college in 1984, I went to a local card shop and bought a dozen or so T206's and went home and trimmed them down to match the others I had. I remember the borders being over-sized and they just looked better being cut down. A college buddy that collected baseball cards also did the same so I think it was pretty common back then.

Note: Your Eddie Collins card looks like somebody tried to make it look like it was hand-cut at the factory causing it to look like it is scrap. The diamond cut was not done by the printers cut blade but done with a scissors because at close inspection the cut is not uniform. Just my opinion though.

Craig

Seattle799
03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
way to get the best offer at just about 50% of the buy it now... :)

Tao_Moko
04-01-2013, 04:43 AM
way to get the best offer at just about 50% of the buy it now... :)

It concerned me a bit when I saw my offer was accepted and caused me to go back and see if it was a reprint. I offered what the card was worth and in a rare ebay moment, got it.

Tao_Moko
04-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Eric,

I remember after graduating from college in 1984, I went to a local card shop and bought a dozen or so T206's and went home and trimmed them down to match the others I had. I remember the borders being over-sized and they just looked better being cut down. A college buddy that collected baseball cards also did the same so I think it was pretty common back then.

Note: Your Eddie Collins card looks like somebody tried to make it look like it was hand-cut at the factory causing it to look like it is scrap. The diamond cut was not done by the printers cut blade but done with a scissors because at close inspection the cut is not uniform. Just my opinion though.

Craig

Attempting to make it look like scrap is a good guess.

travrosty
04-01-2013, 10:32 AM
since it is already trimmed, and further trimming wouldn't decrease its value? would anybody trim up the sides and top nice to look more uniform?

bn2cardz
04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
since it is already trimmed, and further trimming wouldn't decrease its value? would anybody trim up the sides and top nice to look more uniform?

That is an intersting question. Is altering an already altered card ok? Hmmm, I have never thought about that. I don't think I could do it myself, it is hard to think about altering a collectible from the way I bought it.

Wite3
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Valley Baseball Cards is one of the oldest brick and mortar stores left in southern California...the original owner Max was amazing and a great with the kids...stopped by about two weeks ago to chat with new owner (well, he has been there for about 3-4 years now but I still consider new)...the guy is also great. One of my favorite show dealers helps supplement his case with vintage material too. Highly recommended seller and store owner.

Joshua

Tao_Moko
04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Valley Baseball Cards is one of the oldest brick and mortar stores left in southern California...the original owner Max was amazing and a great with the kids...stopped by about two weeks ago to chat with new owner (well, he has been there for about 3-4 years now but I still consider new)...the guy is also great. One of my favorite show dealers helps supplement his case with vintage material too. Highly recommended seller and store owner.

Joshua

The seller in this case was great and sold me a card that I wanted at a fair price. Many would have at least thrown out the "scrap" possibility in their listing which in this case would have been an extremely far fetch and I'm happy he didn't go there. I always respect those who sell fairly and I hope to buy more from him. Thanks for putting a face with a name.

Craig M
04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Joshua and Eric,

By no means was I suggesting that the seller of the card made the card look like that. For all we know a young kid could have tried to make the card look better and decided to stop after not cutting a straight line on the second cut.

My apologies if I came across wrong.

"Happy Collecting"

Craig

PS: Eric, can you please report back to this thread after you get the card and tell us if that top left corner was rounded with a scissors? I can't tell from the scan. The other three rounded corners look like genuine rounding from the flipping and playing with cards of baseball men.

Tao_Moko
04-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Joshua and Eric,

By no means was I suggesting that the seller of the card made the card look like that. For all we know a young kid could have tried to make the card look better and decided to stop after not cutting a straight line on the second cut.

My apologies if I came across wrong.

"Happy Collecting"

Craig

PS: Eric, can you please report back to this thread after you get the card and tell us if that top left corner was rounded with a scissors? I can't tell from the scan. The other three rounded corners look like genuine rounding from the flipping and playing with cards of baseball men.

No worries. I didn't assume you suggested the seller did it. Who knows how many hands this card has been through. I was pointing out the it was appreciated that he didn't try and make it something it is not which is refreshing.

I'm with you on your initial guess though. This cut was definately not an enhancer. Will let you know when i get it.