PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the SGC vs PSA vs Beckett discussion, where do the three stand in 2013?

the 'stache
03-30-2013, 03:45 AM
Just like ripping a band aid off of a hairy arm, I wish to reopen the old wound that is the SGC vs PSA vs Beckett (BVG) debate. Why? Because while I have seen this discussed ad nauseam on different sports card websites (here, collectors universe, sportscardforum, etc), opinions can change over time. As a stock broker, I know it is always prudent to find the most current information before making any investment decision. And let's face it, while we buy for the love of the sport and the hobby, we are making considerable investments (regardless of whether or not we ever liquidate our holdings!)

I know that the big three, SGC, PSA and Beckett (BGS and BVG for vintage) will have several professionals that will do the grading, and typically a submitted card will receive review from more than one grader. I also know that while the standards are typically pretty consistent over time, certain dynamics do change from time to time (ie, one of these companies might hire a new "head grader", if you will). So rather than assume (break out the Felix Unger at the chalkboard clip explaining that when you assume....), I would like to know definitively where we stand in 2013.

I am not thin skinned, so if I speak out of line, making a statement that is factually incorrect, by all means, please correct me!

What I have gathered from reading different articles/discussion threads is somewhat confusing. When I go to collectorsuniverse, which is the virtual discussion venue for PSA, they tend to hold PSA in higher regard than BVG. This could be in part due to the registry, as well as the resale value of PSA being the highest of the three. Some of the discussions I have seen here tend to contradict that. I have seen members state that they have never had an issue with BVG (I believe the discussions dealt specifically with cross over grades). And while I have looked at Ebay, the BVG cards I've looked at appear to be pretty accurate in their overall grade.

Here's one example of a card I am very much interested in buying, a 1956 Topps Ted Williams:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-TED-WILLIAMS-5-Red-Sox-WHITE-BACK-BVG-BGS-6-/140900871065?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20ce58ab99

"Buy the card, not the grade" has become my mantra since joining the forum (and I thank you all for that). Well, I look at this card, and what do I see? A 6 grade, excellent-mint. The corners are soft, but acceptable for the grade. The edges are pretty clean. The surface is clean, with vibrant colors, and the centering is quite nice (slightly up and to the left). Compared to similarly graded PSA examples, which are also in the same price range, I find BVG to be comparable in condition.

Based on the extensive experience you guys have, where do you currently sit in your opinion of the three companies? I've read that SGC has the best customer service (which is important to me, especially should I have questions). I've also read that they do crossover specials. Do they still do these? Because I have to admit, as far as slabs and flips go, SGC are superior in their displays, and it's not even close.

I'm not asking you all to reinvent the wheel. But if you would please share your current opinions of the big three, it will help me tremendously. If anything has changed recently (within the last year or so), it would be helpful to know.

Thanks, everybody!

KCRfan1
03-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Bill, you can find better than that Williams card. The upper left corner looks very frayed to me. When I look at a 6, I had better see some nice corners. I always ask to see the back of the card before buying. Look at PSA grading standards if you have not already. I assume that you have and are very familiar though. 6's can have flaws, so please get an image of the back. Kurtzkards has one much better for the same price. For resale value and perhaps holding value look at PSA, for card quality I look at SCG. Personally I do not like Beckett. This is just my opinion, I find that Beckett grades too high on their cards compared to similar grades in PSA or SCG. That said, each grading company will have some inconsistancies.

brewing
03-30-2013, 06:49 AM
SGC is easily the choice for me, with BVG way in the rear.

SGC wins on consistency of their grading and quick turn around. How often do you see a SGC over or under graded? Way less than the others.

PSA sells, especially to those that buy plastic. Their basic service takes forever. Cards are consistently over or under graded. Volume should be no excuse for quality of grades or turn around time.
Don't even get me started on qualifiers, bar none the stupidest thing in TPG. Still looking for the "corners" qualifier, since they have one for most of the other common flaws. I do like that their cases take less room to store.

BVG, bleh. Consistently over graded. When I buy, I automatically consider the grade is really 1 grade over. Grading service prices are way too high, too. Their cases are tough though.

cammb
03-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Couldn't have said it better.

the 'stache
04-03-2013, 05:53 AM
The more I read about SGC, the more I like them.

How do they make custom inserts for each card they grade? I know the case has a black background, which makes the card itself stand out. But what is the insert around the card made of?

the 'stache
04-03-2013, 05:55 AM
One other questions about SGC, guys.

Having never handled a SGC-slabbed card, how tamper resistant are they?

t206blogcom
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
I mostly collect pre-war cards, so I've always gravitated to SGC. I've slabbed a number of cards with them and have been happy with their service. They run monthly specials each month, which can be found on their website. Turnaround time and pricing are good. When I get a PSA graded pre-war card, I tend to cross it over to SGC, sometimes with a grade change. Perhaps its because of their recent office move or they're getting busier, but lately SGC quality has slipped. Some of my slabs come back with fingerprints and smudges on the black inserts or the custom insert isn't cut as precise or cleanly. Overall though, SGC is still my #1 choice for most cards.

For my 1980+ cards, I tend to prefer PSA as I think they do a better job with the modern stuff. I've never submitted directly to PSA, but I've heard numerous stories about how long it can take. And there are some inconsistancies with their grading. I have bought a couple of PSA 10s from big eBayers like 4SharpCorners among others where their PSA 10s look more like 8s or 9s. Do the high volume graders get better grading deals? Who knows, but this has been discussed before on Net54.

As for Beckett, I originally couldn't stand them. I thought their holders were entirely too larger, too rigid, too sharp and not that appealing to the eye. However, I've been buying more of them lately as I feel you can get better deals on BVG graded cards vs others. Some I've crossed over, some I've kept BVG. I've always felt they're tougher on their cards and their 9.5s would be equal to PSA 10s in many cases, so I disagree with a previous comment about that. I have received grade bumps on crossovers from BVG to SGC.

In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference. Go with what you like. You'll find folks who swear by the TPG they use. Some like the thinner PSA holders, which do take up far less space than SGC or BVG. Some like SGC's black insert while some like Beckett's detailed grading on surface, sides, corners, etc.

the 'stache
04-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks, Jason.

mintacular
04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
I do not trust BVG at all, very inconsistent and I don't feel like they know how to grade a vintage card. SGC is the best for collectors IMO //PSA tends to due better with resale. PSA is decent but too big.

Sean1125
04-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I've seen grades on beckett cards that I believe should be a full grade lower in a PSA or SGC slab. I've been getting some ridiculous prices out of SGC slabbed HoF rookies, some as much as 40% above vcp high for the psa grade.... The exception for me was my Clementes, which my PSA 4.5 (nicely centered) sold for the same exact as my SGC 5 (slightly OC).

KCRfan1
04-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Bill, SGC slabs are easy to open as are PSA. Beckett is tougher to open. PSA and SGC snap with the top and bottom meeting in the middle and Beckett fits more like a box, with the top fitting OVER the bottom. Just take your time.