PDA

View Full Version : Price guide

Seattle799
03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
What do you guys use as a starting point for what a card is worth?

I get that no price guide can give you a perfect formula of Player X Back X Condition = Value...

And yes, value the card not the grade.

But what's your starting point?

TistaT202
03-30-2013, 05:49 AM
I use a combination of eBay completed auctions, auction house completed auctions, Net54 prices and common sense. I am putting together a defined set of cards so it is easy to track using a spreadsheet I created. I update the spreadsheet as auctions/Net54 sales occur.

t206blogcom
03-30-2013, 06:58 AM
VintageCardPrices.com

Leon
03-30-2013, 07:46 AM
I am now using cardtarget.com ......more of our pricing from what I have seen. And it's free.....and other sets are being updated.

My first thing to do is look at a card and look for things that draw my eyes to it (distractions)....going from the front to the back. Pricing without seeing a card isn't too useful. IN our space, below grades of 8, there is a lot of subjectivity. So I will use comparable sales then make a judgement, based on aesthetics, after that.

freakhappy
03-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I am now using cardtarget.com ......more of our pricing from what I have seen. And it's free.....and other sets are being updated.

My first thing to do is look at a card and look for things that draw my eyes to it (distractions)....going from the front to the back. Pricing without seeing a card isn't too useful. IN our space, below grades of 8, there is a lot of subjectivity. So I will use comparable sales then make a judgement, based on aesthetics, after that.

+1 Exactly!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
I offer what I think is fair. It is a combination of aesthetics, my budget, and how much I want it. Hard to break that down any further.

I walked away from low priced cards I didn't want and good deals that I wasn't willing to stretch my budget for.

drc
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards (Krause) and Beckett Almanac don't give accurate prices, but give good summaries of the sets and cards so you get an idea scarcity. I think they're good reference books, and help in pricing with their information.

EvilKing00
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Ebay is a good way to get the market value of a specific card. A card or anything for that matter is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. looking up the last sales it a great way to see those facts.

Matthew H
03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm starting to use card target. I really like the raw pricing on N172, what a great site, and it's free! I haven't canceled my subscription to Vintagecardprices but that may change soon.