PDA

View Full Version : OT: A Sad Day

Deertick
03-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Today my uncle, John Marinari, passed away. He was 76 years old. Thankfully, I was able to see him last week after driving my father and his wife from FL to Philly. He never awoke from the operation, but we know he felt our presence.

Unk was a Philly cop for 25+ years. He worked security at Lankeneau Hospital for 25+ years. He was known and loved by many. A humble and generous man, he was funny with his stories and a great friend.

My main reason for this post is this:

This man was the driving force behind my sports 'fandom' and collecting. He didn't know it, and it wasn't until last week before I fully realized it. His passion for sports, including boxing and horses was evident to me at a very early age. By the age of 10, he had taken me to the Palestra for Big-Five and HS basketball, the Civic Center for Blazers hockey, Delaware and Philly Parks for thorobreds, and Brandywine for the trotters. He wasn't a fan as much as an objective observer, sort of like a reporter or announcer. Many times, the discussions we had were infuriating because I was a FAN. Most times he was correct, but he admitted that he was wrong about Mike Schmidt. In 1989. Just to bust my chops.

He never collected much, but he would always keep me in mind when he would run across a program or bump into an athlete. He mainly collected memories and stories.

In 1985 he gave me an autograph that his uncle had given him. I wonder whether his uncle had the same influence on him as my Uncle John Marinari had on me.

R.I.P Unk

Bestdj777
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Jim, I am very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy and someone that will live on in your memory and your collecting.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear that. My grandmother passed away 2 days ago so I feel your pain.

Leon
03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
My heartfelt condolences, Jim. May your uncle rest in peace.

RichardSimon
03-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Jim, Sorry to hear about your loss.
My life had some similarities in that my uncle and my dad were the ones who instilled the love of sports within me and my brother. Madison Square Garden, Polo Grounds even Yankee Stadium (ugh) were places that we grew up going to with Uncle Sam (yup, he was Uncle Sam) and my dad. Your touching story brought all this back to me again.

Ease
03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry for your loss Jim. RIP.

Deertick
03-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys. I feel I should attempt to inspire / help kids get into the hobby to honor his memory. Maybe I have, but I know I can do more.

Sean
03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, but you found a nice way to give him a tribute.

deadballfreaK
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Sorry for your loss, Jim. I have been thinking about my father lately as the 20th anniversary of his death is rapidly approaching. He was the one who instilled the love of baseball in me. In 1963 I started listening to the Cardinal games on the radio with him. The Cards were chasing the Dodgers down the stretch and we were cheering for Stan Musial to get a pennant in his last year. It was not to be. In 1964 I caught the Topps fever. Dad worked in a body shop right behind our house. I would constantly go begging for nickels to buy a pack. We were hardly well off, but he seemed to always scrape up a nickle or a dime. What I wouldn't give to relive one of those hot summer nights sitting in the back yard, Dad with his shirt off and a beer, listening to the ballgame and hearing stories about the old timers.

CW
03-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your uncle's passing. Sounds like he definitely left his mark while he was here, serving the public and influencing others, like yourself.

ethicsprof
03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
you offer a very moving tribute to your uncle.
my condolences,

in sympathy,
barry

teetwoohsix
03-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Sorry for your loss Jim, my condolences as well.

Sincerely, Clayton

Rickyy
03-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Sorry to hear about your uncle...and thanks for sharing a great story!

Ricky Y

deadballpaul
03-31-2013, 03:07 AM
Sorry for your loss. I posted on this board after my Dad died, & it did help me to share my feelings. I still miss him dearly, & today (opening day) was a special day for both of us. I hope the best for you. Time does help to heal a little.

sirraffles
03-31-2013, 08:54 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. I'll bet that many of us here collect in part because we have been influenced by someone like your uncle. My dad, for example, really encouraged my collecting though he wasn't even that much of a sports fan.