PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

VoodooChild
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Hello. I signed up a little over a month ago, have been browsing around the posts, and even made a few transactions. So, I figure now would be a good time for an introduction. My name is Jason. I currently live in MD, but was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I was recommended to this site by Mike C. ("freakhappy") after going back and forth with him on the ebay boards about starting a T206 collection. Let me just say that this site is freaking awesome. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. The pictures that were posted to the "Let's see 'em laid-out" thread are some of the coolest things I've ever seen and I have learned a ton about 19th century and Pre WWII cards from all of the other posts in a short amount of time. So, thanks again.

I collected as a kid from ages 9 to 12 and just got back into the hobby in 2010. I was hooked as a 9 year old after getting a few packs of 1983 Topps and a baseball encyclopedia. Even back then, I was interested in the history of the game and loved reading about the "old-timers" and hearing stories about them from my dad. I still remember my first trip to the card shop. My dad gave me $10 before he went to work and told my mom to take me to TNT Collectibles in Monroeville, PA. The owner though I was crazy seeing a 9 year old buy a '71 Topps Clemente, '68 Topps Ernie Banks, and a '78 Topps cello pack that had Rollie Fingers on top. I still have all those cards.

Currently, my collection is all over the place. In addition to all of the Pittsburgh related cards (any sport, any era) and the 1953 to 1956 Topps that I have been concentrating on recently, I decided to start a T206 collection. Not sure where it will lead, but I'm about 20 cards in. Mostly commons, a couple "tough" commons, and 2 HOFers (Clarke and Lajoie). So far, I've decided on lower graded (2 or 3) HOFers, but am going after everything else raw. I like them to look a little rough (like they are over 100 years old) and don't mind a little creasing and corner wear. Also, can't really afford to be concerned with backs at this point. Well, that's my story, thanks for listening. It's been a pleasure on this site so far.

Thanks again

- Jason

EvilKing00
03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
weccome to the forum jay

Cardboard Junkie
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Aloha, VoodooChild! Another Hendrix fan should fit in nicely. Dave.:D

Ease
03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Welcome Jason!

ethicsprof
03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
i'll second David P's welcome!
all the best,
barry

Sean
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Welcome Jason, it's always nice to add another T206 collector. :)

teetwoohsix
03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Welcome aboard and good luck hunting :)

And, you were recommended by a great board member ;)

Sincerely, Clayton

AMBST95
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Hail to Pitt! Good luck with your collection!

mrvster
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Great to have you, and GREAT CHOICE in T206:)

Peace
Johnny

Eric72
03-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Jason,

Welcome to Net54! You have landed at a great site.

It is tremendous to hear that you still have the cards you bought at that shop as a kid, so many years later...stories like that definitely take me back to my youth.

Have fun here. The board members have an amazing amount of knowledge and are generally very willing to share.

Happy collecting and best regards from a fellow product of the Keystone State.

Eric

freakhappy
03-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Welcome, Jason...to the best site around. I hope you find it both stimulating and helpful in your collecting endeavors. I can't say enough about how the people here have helped me. My knowledge and collection would not be what it is today if it wasn't for Leon and the crew.

So how about some pics of what you collect? I'm sure most everyone would love to see something.

Good luck, Jason!

sdkammeyer
03-28-2013, 04:54 AM
I was recommended to this site by Mike C. ("freakhappy") after going back and forth with him on the ebay boards about starting a T206 collection.

STRIKE ONE!

Kidding, Mike is a great guy and you should feel lucky to bicker with him. GREAT dude.

So how about some pics of what you collect? I'm sure most everyone would love to see something.

As a Steeler fan I 2nd that notion!!

t206blogcom
03-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Just what the board needs - another T206 collector named Jason. :eek:

Welcome to t206land! It's a great board.

VoodooChild
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Ok, here's a couple pics. Sorry about the quality, don't have much scanned yet and used my cell phone. I feel a little embarrased after seeing alot of the sweet collections posted here. Most of my stuff is probably a little too "modern" for the people on this forum, but I did include the start to my T206's.

- Jason

teetwoohsix
03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Nice cards Jason :) You're off to a great start with those two T206's. I hope you are aware that T206 cards can be addicting to some :o No one warned me :D

Sincerely, Clayton

freakhappy
03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Great collection, Jason...and don't ever be embarassed. There are all kinds of different collectors here: high, middle and low class collectors, and just plain viewers/admirers....we all have one special thing in common...we love this hobby and what it has to offer. So never back down from sharing. I know I enjoy seeing everyone's collection and I also can feel what it means to them through their posts.

I love modern cards and have a few cards that you posted. I grew up watching some of these guys play, so they will always have a special connection with me.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!